The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-08-2013, 05:32 AM   #1
SoCalSlaughter

Transmissin overflow?

My truck is a 1990 Suburban V2500 TH400 trans, 205 N/P transfer case. This has happen twice in the past 2 weeks, the truck is on 315/75/R16 tires, 4 inch lift. I did alittle off roading with some friends (Always get a call when they get thier little Rangers stuck haha) I do have to use the 4X4 from time to time, anyways! after getting home, being followed by a friend, we park and he comes up and says my truck was smoking, look under and it is smoking, crawl under and the transmission fluid has managed to come out of the vent tube going up the fire wall and has run down onto the exhaust and down the body of the truck some. This has happen twice after going off road. I can drive the truck to work (About 12 miles, city and hwy driving) and no problem, even drove 60 miles threw the mountains (Up to 5200 elevation) then 6 miles threw a river bottom (Didnt have to use 4X4) with no problem. I have read that over filling the trans can do this, or the fluid over heating. I am using the stock cooler threw the radiator. The transmission was rebuilt about 2 years ago and hasnt missed a beat or done this before. There are some climbs I have to go when I go out with my friends wheeling, maybe putting stress on the trans making it hot? I have also read that there is a thermo valve? that maybe be stuck or damaged? The trans shifts nice and has never given me a problem. The fluid doesnt smell burnt or discolored. I also disconnected the cooler lines at the trans to see if there was any blockage and noticed the fluid from one line was cold and one was warm, making me thing there is a blockage. Im thinking about an aftermarket cooler.. any ideas? Thanks!!
SoCalSlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:13 PM   #2
kwmech

Re: Transmissin overflow?

I would make sure that your t-case is not overfilled. The vent tube for the trans does not go up the firewall, but sometimes the vent for the transfer case does. The vent for the trans is on top of the case just behind the torque convertor
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:48 PM   #3
SoCalSlaughter

I actually just changed the transfer case fluid, it has the big fill and drain plug. Drained all the fluid and filled it with dexmerc til it started coming out the fill plug. Ill have to check where that vent tube goes, i think your right about it going to the t case
Old 10-09-2013, 02:48 AM   #4
andrewmp6

I have heard off road guys move the vents up higher on everything that has one.And i have seen them use like a small remote clutch master cylinder tank thing as a overflow for the axle vents and t case.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:33 PM   #5
BLAZERMAN
Currently Blazerless

Do they recommend transmission fluid in the later NP205s? If you think it's coming from the transfer case you might try running 80w90 gear oil in it over the thinner tranny fluid. And I would by all means add an external transmission cooler along with your radiator cooler, heat kills a transmission and it sounds like you do some pretty serious mountain driving making it a must.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:46 PM   #6
SoCalSlaughter

Thanks for replies! SOLVED!! Found out the TC is a NP241C after cleaning off the round tag on it haha So it does does with ATF in the TC. Went to remove TC from truck, removed the FILL plug and about a quart of ATF came out, making seem like it was over filled, but I just replaced the fluid about a month back. Then BINGO! TC input seal came to mind, dropped TC, removed double lipped seal, and there was a crack right threw the whole seal, along with 2 other small cracks and the seal was rock hard. New seal is on the way!! Thanks guys!!