The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-26-2017, 01:04 PM   #1
Spalma916

What to do what to get?

Hey guys, this is my first time joining a forum, I usually get my questions answered by reading what others have posted. I have a 69 C10 w/292 straight 6, 465 muncie 4 speed manual, basically original. I gutted the interior, removed the gas tank, sanded, primed, painted, installed a Painless wiring kit (so ALL wires are new!), put the inside all back together and it looks Nice! Just waiting on my seats out of a 2005 chevy 1500.
Someone was supposed to swap beds w/me cause mines is all banged up and theirs was straight but that deal fell thru and while waiting I had removed the bed to install a rear mounted gas tank, it fits great w/the 4 bolts to the frame(do I need to install the straps too!!??), I power brushed the entire rear frame and cleaned it, sanded,primed and painted and noooooooooooow................I'm stuck!!!!
I'm looking at my ORIGINAL SHOCKS & COIL SPRINGS!!! I'm not surprised they're still working and there, I'm surprised I didn't think to upgrade them while I was cleaning and upgrading all around it.
What should I get? What BRAND should I get? Shoot I still have drum brakes all around, is there a year that will bolt right on? The 2005 p/u I got the seats from has disk brakes all around and is being parted out, will that brake system work? Can someone help and let ,everyone know firstly what shocks and coils I should get?
Spalma916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:17 PM   #2
webfoot

Re: What to do what to get?

Welcome to the forum!

Fortunately the coils and springs are pretty easy to replace. What you get depends on what your plans are for the truck. For a stock rebuild, Eaton coil springs are suitable replacements. I put KYB GR-2 shocks on my truck and like how they ride.

You would (at a minimum) need conversion brackets to add rear discs, there are lots of threads about this.

1970 K-20 4-speed, factory AC.
webfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 03:33 PM   #3
Spalma916

Awesome, I'll check those out right away! I just spent two days taking apart the bed and power brushing the bottom of the bed from the past 50 years of grime, now I have to get it ready for paint and make the hole for my gas neck. This is so frustratingly fun!
I looked over some threads for the brake conversion but haven't found one with a complete bolt on swap out(maybe cause there are none)would you be able to recommend?
Old 04-27-2017, 03:34 PM   #4
Spalma916

Also I forgot to mention my truck is manual brakes and steering......
Old 04-27-2017, 03:55 PM   #5
wbc409

If it's 6 lug there are conversions for 6 lug disc in the front. Depending on what you are planning on doing with the truck, I am not sure how much of a return you would get by putting disc brakes in the rear. Do searches on the forum and you will get your answers. Swapping out to power steering is pretty easy and straight forward. You need the brackets for the pump, the pump, the correct pulleys, hoses, and a power steering box. You also might need to change out the rag joint. All of it bolts in.
wbc409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:25 PM   #6
Spalma916

Great info, thanks a lot! I guess I should've made it more clear my purpose of the truck. I just love these trucks a lot, the look, almost everything! I want to fix it up to basically brand new original condition with some minor modifications. Not looking to make a race truck or anything but obviously would like to improve what didn't come stock then; power steering(straight manual), power brakes(all drum), and some good shocks, coils, and a sway bar ? to improve the ride.
The local parts store has some Monroe brand shocks for the back 25$ a piece I was going to pick up, good deal? And the coils and swaybar do they have to be replaced? And lastly, i just figured discs in the back would be all around better, but yeah i guess if i wont be racing it I won't be needing them in the back?
Old 04-28-2017, 01:13 PM   #7
Ken B

I put Monroe Magnums in my 70 C30. Rides real nice and didn't break the bank...
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote