The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-10-2024, 05:43 AM   #1
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

New Asphalt roof installed 39 Square

The crew came at 7:30 am ..took the old shingles off . Installed all new , roof vents , metal roof edging ,vent pipe surrounds ,,,,,,,,,,Got done at 7:30 pm. all cleaned up ..now, today write that big ol check for roofing and work done,,,I had 3 appraises and I took the middle one..
Old 04-11-2024, 02:44 PM   #2
biketopia

Re: New Asphalt roof installed 39 Square

Did that last year...except when they stripped the roof they found pretty much all the ply-wood had been installed incorrectly...Soooo that one hurt extra good.

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
biketopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 10:02 AM   #3
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by biketopia View Post
Did that last year...except when they stripped the roof they found pretty much all the ply-wood had been installed incorrectly...Soooo that one hurt extra good.
I have put a few plywood sheathing roofs on in my past,, how exactly did someone put the plywood on wrong I just gotta ask? Length wise maybe?
Old 04-14-2024, 11:42 AM   #4
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Maybe the edges weren't on rafters, in some places? Believe it or not, I've seen guys do drywall like that, not putting the edges on studs or ceiling joists.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 03:54 PM   #5
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
Maybe the edges weren't on rafters, in some places? Believe it or not, I've seen guys do drywall like that, not putting the edges on studs or ceiling joists.
Yes ,,during my remodling days i came across a house that had no corner studs ,,just bottom and top plate to fasten the sheetrock to,,
Old 04-15-2024, 06:17 AM   #6
biketopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
I have put a few plywood sheathing roofs on in my past,, how exactly did someone put the plywood on wrong I just gotta ask? Length wise maybe?
I believe it was installed without clips.

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
Old 04-15-2024, 09:42 AM   #7
GOPAPA

Quote:
I believe it was installed without clips.
Without Clips! ..this makes me feel older all of a sudden ,,cause I sheathed roofs before clips ..back when they advise you to leave a small small gap between sheets . I wonder ?? did the roofer tell the people the roof had no clips and took up the whole sheeted roof and redid it clips ? Not bashing anyone ,,because I do not know the whole story ,, just thinking and posting with a grin on my face
Old 04-15-2024, 10:05 AM   #8
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

I've sheathed roofs without the clips, but not in over 30 years. I guess as people want to put less and less thought into their work, or hire people and don't tell them why the clips are necessary, this could happen. One would like to think that a licensed contractor would know this.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 01:06 PM   #9
biketopia

I could be mistaken on what the actual issue was, maybe no clips, maybe swollen boards. Either way I fully trust the installer. My Father in-law is the VP of one of the bigger roofing outfits in the Richmond Area and has been doing roofs for over 30 years, he sent his best install crew to do our roof. I wasn't home when it was going on, just getting info that was relayed by him to my wife, then to me. We did get everything at cost and paid a cheaper labor rate than the companies up our way though.

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
Old 04-15-2024, 07:07 PM   #10
GOPAPA

Quote:
I could be mistaken on what the actual issue was, maybe no clips, maybe swollen boards. Either way I fully trust the installer. My Father in-law is the VP of one of the bigger roofing outfits in the Richmond Area and has been doing roofs for over 30 years, he sent his best install crew to do our roof. I wasn't home when it was going on, just getting info that was relayed by him to my wife, then to me. We did get everything at cost and paid a cheaper labor rate than the companies up our way though.
I have no doubt the sheathing had to be done .. I was only curious why? Nice to have contacts like that.. better give the wife a kiss ,,and she can kiss the father in law for you for helping you out .
Old 04-16-2024, 07:16 AM   #11
biketopia

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
I have no doubt the sheathing had to be done .. I was only curious why? Nice to have contacts like that.. better give the wife a kiss ,,and she can kiss the father in law for you for helping you out .
I'm curious too haha, she's been under the weather the past few days. Next time we facetime her folks with their grandbaby I'll ask. I've learned a lot in life, one of the biggest things is it's not always what you know but who you know.

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
Old 04-16-2024, 08:09 AM   #12
GOPAPA

When I took the deal from the contractor to reroof my house , I ask him if I could have the shingles left over from broken into packages so if I could use them on a shed roof I building in my back yard , (for my l lawn mower and tools and snow blower) ,, he told me he would fix me up with some ,, he did alright as he gave me a whole square of shingles plus the underlayment and starter material plus roof edgeing ..the shed roof -is 8x10 ft