The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-07-2019, 09:24 PM   #51
focusedontheprize

Re: "Dixie" 1988 Chevrolet V30 3+3 Dually

While I was bleeding the brakes and felt like the rears were not grabbing. I put the rear end up in the air and confirmed that was the case. I pulled the rear drums and the insides were shot. It looks like the wheel cylinders had been leaking for quite some time.
Attached Images

focusedontheprize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:29 PM   #52
focusedontheprize

I put an order in for all new everything - shoes, hardware, cylinders, etc. I really enjoy working on clean materials, so while I had everything stripped to the backing plates I freshened up the inside and ran emory cloth over the axle where the bearings ride.

Much better.
Attached Images

Old 10-07-2019, 09:31 PM   #53
focusedontheprize

The new hardware showed up and we installed it in the middle of the day here in Texas. 99 degrees and a little bit of sweat does the truck good? No, that is not right. Well at least everything went in without a hitch.
Attached Images

Old 10-07-2019, 09:41 PM   #54
focusedontheprize

This weekend I did not get as much done as I was hoping for, the temperatures here in Texas have been insane for October.

The transmission had a small leak that kept dripping on the driveway. After examining the pan, I found the leak was coming from around the kickdown case switch. The truck had an aftermarket B&M pan on it with a drain plug, so it made the oil change a little bit easier and cleaner. The new switch arrived from Summit within 2 days, I am always amazed on how quick their standard shipping is. I picked up two new o-rings and installed the new switch. Changed out the filter, installed the new gasket, and filled up the pan.

When I bought the truck I noticed I was missing 2 cab mount bolts so the cab was never fully bolted down to the frame. The rubber mounts had seen better days so I decided to upgrade to polyurethane mounts while I was swapping them out. I replaced the shims, bottom cups, and the bolts. With everything snugged down, the cab rides so much nicer.
Attached Images

Old 10-07-2019, 09:45 PM   #55
focusedontheprize

I have not touched the exterior yet. I am hoping to get to it this fall with the machine to see if I can buff out the dullness. The wheels and tires made a huge difference though.
Attached Images

Old 10-08-2019, 11:57 AM   #56
Shifty One

I think that I love this truck....
Shifty One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 05:48 AM   #57
focusedontheprize

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty One View Post
I think that I love this truck....
Thanks Shifty, Dixie is getting there to how I envision her.
Old 10-14-2019, 11:44 AM   #58
focusedontheprize

Friday I came home from work and realized that those step nerf bars needed to go. I really do love my Milwaukee sawzall. I can get into the truck without a problem, however I will pick up a small step stool for the wife until I get the AMP Research Powersteps installed.
Attached Images

Old 10-14-2019, 11:53 AM   #59
focusedontheprize

This weekend was a quick check off project. When they installed the rear lift kit they had an issue with the Sulastic shackles, so we did not install them.

This weekend I re-torqued u bolts and trimmed them to size. After that was done, I moved to the rear shackles that were shot. After a little massaging with the angle grinder, the shackles fit great. I scuffed everything done quickly with a green Scotch pad and sprayed the rear end to clean everything up a little more with color. Eventually I am going to pull the rear end for an overhaul so that is for another day.
Attached Images

Old 10-14-2019, 11:56 AM   #60
focusedontheprize

Rear axle look a little better with some light coats of paint. The OEM shackles were shot, so hopefully we will see a little improvement in the ride.
Attached Images

Old 11-09-2019, 08:30 PM   #61
focusedontheprize

Tuned the motor today. The truck was running a little rough when I bought it. Timed the motor, adjusted the primary squirter, and dialed in the fast cam.
Old 11-09-2019, 08:38 PM   #62
focusedontheprize

My next project is trying to locate where the slop is coming from in the steering wheel column. The truck has a brand new steering box (Redhead steering box) and steering shaft (Jeep XJ upgrade). I still have a small bit of play in the steering wheel side to side before getting a good positive response to the steering.

I have made adjustments to the sector shaft using the adjuster on top, but there is still slop in the wheel. I also have clamped the pitman arm and found the slop exists from where the shaft connects to the gearbox up to the steering wheel.

I am trying to see if there are any other areas I should check on where I might have wear causing this?
Old 11-11-2019, 10:07 AM   #63
bigdaddy4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by focusedontheprize View Post
My next project is trying to locate where the slop is coming from in the steering wheel column. The truck has a brand new steering box (Redhead steering box) and steering shaft (Jeep XJ upgrade). I still have a small bit of play in the steering wheel side to side before getting a good positive response to the steering.

I have made adjustments to the sector shaft using the adjuster on top, but there is still slop in the wheel. I also have clamped the pitman arm and found the slop exists from where the shaft connects to the gearbox up to the steering wheel.

I am trying to see if there are any other areas I should check on where I might have wear causing this?
i hope you can find out some more info about your steering i have done changed the steering gears on my 77 k3500 crew cab 3 different times 2 times with brand new napa steering gears with no luck getting rid of the slop side to side in my steering the last gear i put on was a used one off 85 m1008 its tighter than the 2 napa gears i have put on both of the new napa gears and had heavy steering the used 85 one turns a lot easyer but still the slop is it . i am gona take out the steering colum of the 85 and take it a part to see where the slop, is coming from
bigdaddy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 08:09 AM   #64
focusedontheprize

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy4x4 View Post
i hope you can find out some more info about your steering i have done changed the steering gears on my 77 k3500 crew cab 3 different times 2 times with brand new napa steering gears with no luck getting rid of the slop side to side in my steering the last gear i put on was a used one off 85 m1008 its tighter than the 2 napa gears i have put on both of the new napa gears and had heavy steering the used 85 one turns a lot easyer but still the slop is it . i am gona take out the steering colum of the 85 and take it a part to see where the slop, is coming from
I have been researching around and seeing where others had found their slop issues to lie. The majority of people I have found have lived with it, however since everything is new (except the steering column) I am adamant to find it, so I will report back what I find.
Old 11-13-2019, 10:45 AM   #65
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by focusedontheprize View Post
I have been researching around and seeing where others had found their slop issues to lie. The majority of people I have found have lived with it, however since everything is new (except the steering column) I am adamant to find it, so I will report back what I find.
This is my observation as well. I had already replaced the TRE's, BJ's & control arm bushings on my dually. Recently I did the steering box, pitman & XJ steering shaft swap. The 'play' to me is not much but still present. But, if the truck is off & in park (auto trans), I feel the 'play' is equal to or not much more than the movement a locked column has when everything is off.

I'll definitely keep watching to see if you come up w/additional ideas.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 12:06 AM   #66
MTCK

Nice clean project! Appreciate the detail documenting your upgrades. My crew can needs a steering box...

1991 V3500 L29 454 4L80E NP205 D60/14 Bolt 4.56's
1984 K30 292 TH400 NP205 D60/14 Bolt 4.56's flat bed 7'6" Meyer Plow
2022 Silverado 3500 L8T
Project Daily Driver
Project Heavy Hauler
Project Plow Truck
MTCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 10:26 PM   #67
focusedontheprize

Thanks everyone.

@SCOTI and MTCK - The steering slop for the moment is not bad at all (again me wanting to perfect it). I am shifting it out to a future date.

Today was a bit of a waste of the day. Went to go look at some parts and found they were junk. So I end up coming home at adjusted the idle fast cam. Tomorrow is another day.
Old 11-25-2019, 10:59 AM   #68
FoxCustom

Axles and brakes are looking great!!!! Looks like a very solid, big dually!
FoxCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 09:38 AM   #69
calvin78612

Just read thru your thread. Great looking truck ! Makes me want to get back on mine but may be to cold to degrease/ clean engine bay today ! Love it ! Keep up the build thread, It's great motivation.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:58 AM   #70
focusedontheprize

@FoxCustom: Thank you sir, your build is one I follow closely and am looking forward to seeing updates on.

@Calvin78612: Texas weather in incredible, it is high 70s one day and then high 30s the next. I am happy to hear the updates are motivating as I feel others builds here are incredibly motivating to me. Just trying to add to the family here.

Back to the updates...
Old 12-12-2019, 11:06 AM   #71
focusedontheprize

I have been in between keeping a drop bumper on the truck (sourced a brand new one that I have in storage) or going with a sport style bumper. After seeing other dually setups with it and speaking with SCOTI I end up placing the order with LMC for the bumper and brackets.

The UPS and FedEx guys are now on a first name basis with me.

I began to drop the rear drop bumper and noticed that someone had done some "modifications" in the rear. It looks like maybe at one time someone had welded a rear hitch on the back and then cut it off. In doing this, they also welded over the holes that I needed to use for the new rear bumper brackets.
Old 12-12-2019, 11:11 AM   #72
focusedontheprize

"Do it right or do not do it at all".

The bumper holes were partially filled, the rear frame could use some dressing, and I wanted to install helper bags in the back. One thing led to another and I found myself building a cart for the rear bed and I began to separate the bed from the rest of the truck. My neighbors came out after and were amazed that I was able to do it all by myself. A cherry picker, some wood, and patience is all it takes.

Because I was working by myself and the driveway is on a little bit of a slope I had to rig up a "safety" strap.

After I was finished moving it.
Old 12-12-2019, 11:18 AM   #73
focusedontheprize

Here are some photos of the "carnage" in my mind. A cut off wheel, a grinder, flap wheel, and the welder will make it all disappear.

The bed will need some work so I will be moving between the chassis and the bed for work
Old 12-12-2019, 11:24 AM   #74
focusedontheprize

Over the weekend I started to remove the saddle tanks. I have been using the passenger side one, but the driver's side never worked correctly so I plan on fixing the unit. I did make the mistake of having a full tank when I dropped the passenger side so that always makes it interesting.

Frame rails will be cleaned and repainted with Chassis Saver, but I was happy to see there were in great shape.

After removing the tanks, I started to remove the helper spring brackets and pads. I will be putting helper bags on the truck instead.
Old 12-12-2019, 11:25 AM   #75
SCOTI

Those rail ends do look ROUGH.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote