The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-24-2020, 08:56 PM   #51
TKCR

Re: Rodstored-72's 1986 DD build

Wow I’m impressed! Just happened across your thread. Your doing an awesome job on your truck!
TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 10:42 AM   #52
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

TkCR,
Thanks for the compliments.... I feel the same way about your seats!! I have alot of inspiration here on the board!
rodstored-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 01:00 PM   #53
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodstored-72 View Post
TkCR,
Thanks for the compliments.... I feel the same way about your seats!! I have alot of inspiration here on the board!
I’ll be following along, now that I found your Build Thread!
Old 03-17-2020, 12:22 AM   #54
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

well! It has been awhile since my last update. I have been slowly chipping away at the “to do” list (in my head). I was able to install the AC Delco EP381 fuel pumps into the ’87 tanks. I had to get a few pointers from a couple of board members – THANKS!! Below are the pictures that all want to see… LOL!!
Attached Images

Old 03-17-2020, 12:27 AM   #55
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

I decided that now would be a good time to tackle a small project… I cleaned and painted the parking brake pedal as well as the handle. I also cleaned and tried to “shine up” the cable down to where it runs along the frame. Getting the cable detached from the assy. Was not a fun task!! I had forgotten how difficult it was when I did the same thing on my ’72 – if I had… well I would still have done, just been more prepared.. !! I forgot to get during pictures of the pedal redo…. But I did get a pic of it installed, hopefully it will suffice for you guys… !! The cleaning was a task, but I was able to prepare it for paint. I just used the chassis black that I have been using for the misc. parts that won’t be red. It is a good compliment to the POR-15 that is being used on the actual chassis and chassis parts. I think overall it turned out pretty nice…. Remember… I am just a lowly shopless wanna be builder in a tiny home garage… !!
Attached Images

Old 03-17-2020, 12:34 AM   #56
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

During my pedal revamp I thought that I might as well fix some little “wounds” that the footwell sides had incurred – I’ll let you guys decide what you think is the cause. They were covered up & will still be covered up by speaker pods, but knowing that they were there was a bother… !! I like the way the final result looks, I would almost say that my welding got a little better…. Well I am going to tell myself that… !! Below are a few pics of the work…… enjoy and as always I appreciate the time and feedback…. the drivers side was similar, the repair looks about the same as well.
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2020, 12:49 AM   #57
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

well not too much to update. I am really trying to figure out how to do the engine wiring from the '13 motor to the '86 wiring of the truck. I have the O.G. complete uncut engine harness and the fuse box assy. but what to do after that is the conundurium for me! For being in the "meca" of the c10 nation
(phoenix) I am not able to get anyone willing to help me. I don't understand the physical connections to pair the 2 together. Anyways I am going to keep plugging away.... pun intended....
Old 03-30-2020, 12:55 AM   #58
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

one side project is the reconnection of the brake pedal to the booster, I am not for the life of me remember how the bracket fits onto the stud with the booster rod? the bracket
(I believe) works the brake switch? I can't remember if the bracket goes on & then the booster rod and cotter pin or the opposite?.... any expert advise would be very much appreciated....

thanks for reading & looking....
Old 04-15-2020, 12:54 AM   #59
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

Well with all the virus junk going on I have been at home working but it does give me a little more time to work in the garage... my commute time is about 1.5 min. …. . with that being said I still don't have much to report. I have been trying to complete a few side projects on it such as tweeking the exhaust from the '13 to fit between the '86 framerails…. I have also been trying my hand at fiberglassing(dash) with not a good start, but just like my welding I can sand the ugliest work to a nice smooth outcome... The dash was really bad so I figure if I don't like it.... scrap pile it goes!
I have not taken pictures (I might) of the 2 projects because they are not real good to look at....

Thanks
Old 04-15-2020, 01:07 AM   #60
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

The main thing I have been concentrating on is the wiring!! one of the main reasons I purchased the engine/trans. combo was because it had all the original wiring and was complete and intact. Thinking that it would save me money on perriphreals like expensive aftermarket harness and etc.
well... it kinda has, but trying to figure out how to incorporate the factory wires with the factory truck wires is showing to be quite a challenge!! even though I have diagrams for both, I am still trying to connect them together. I have almost all the wires figured out but "how to" connect together is quite a task!! I have spent a lot of time on LT1swap and a few other sites, my problem is that I am trying to use the existing '13 underhood fuse box with the factory harness connector..... yes I know it would be easier to buy a psi harness. but I would really like to try to get the factory setup to work.... dunno though
well let the "you crazy's" start now!!
Old 04-15-2020, 01:13 AM   #61
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

well... I do have pic or 2 for you guys.... one of the last connectors that I am not able to track is the picture... any ideas??? it has 18 wires and it clips somewhere to something directly under the underhood fuse box. it breaks off from the main trunk just before the "X2" connector to the fuse box.....

thanks!!
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2020, 07:35 AM   #62
TKCR

On your connectors, I would check with gmachinz. Maybe he can help. He does a lot or wire harness making. If not, try clipsandfasteners.com. They have a lot of connectors, among other things, on their website.
Old 04-15-2020, 07:33 PM   #63
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

tkcr,
thanks I will maybe see what he has to say.
Old 05-07-2020, 10:29 PM   #64
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

I am STILL trying to find info. On the connector that I posted above, my local chevy parts house is not to forthcoming with assistance. I have been told that libraries can carry service manuals, but I am not sure?
I know I am close, once the wiring is figured THEN you will see a big improvement on the build!!
Old 05-07-2020, 10:33 PM   #65
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCR View Post
On your connectors, I would check with gmachinz. Maybe he can help. He does a lot or wire harness making. If not, try clipsandfasteners.com. They have a lot of connectors, among other things, on their website.
tkcr… thanks.. I would try him, but I guess his account is suspended, bummer, he seems pretty knowledgable on these things
Old 05-11-2020, 04:35 PM   #66
STOCKISH
Formerly- 1972SuperCheyenne

Hey man, take a peek on lt1swap web page. There are tons of wiring schematics and lots and lots of info on that page. I wish i could help further but have no idea what that connector is for. Cant wait to see more progress.

As far as tying into your factory harness, the last one i swapped i used the 86 sensors in adapters in the ls engine so i didnt have any gauge issues.

My Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=799218

A good crossthread is better than Loctite any day.

Life is not about what you have, but who you have to share it with.
STOCKISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 11:11 AM   #67
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by STOCKISH View Post
... As far as tying into your factory harness, the last one i swapped i used the 86 sensors in adapters in the ls engine so i didnt have any gauge issues.
so did you put the sensor for a "350" carb engine into the LS engine? if so what did you do with the wire connector from the LS engine?

I have looked & printed out much of the info on Brendon's site.. he also did the reflash on my ECM. I guess I am just not understaning how to combine the wires from the OG firewall harness to the "X" connectors from the factory underhood fuse box I am pretty challenged when it comes to wiring I was/am hoping/thinking that the unknown connector can be used to make the neccessary OG instrumentation/gauge connections. in talking to a GM tech he did mention that at a certain point the signal gets translated to GMLAN language & not normal or old signal from the older vehicles. An example is connecting the oil pressure wire from the OG harness to the new harness, would i just solder the OG wire to the corresponding oil pressure signal wire from the new harness? anyways.. thanks for the response i am making progress ... just slow some related to the virus hangups & some due to my lack of knowledge. I am hesitant about buying other things wanted until I know what my wiring expense is going to end up...

Old 05-25-2020, 12:30 PM   #68
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

Ok.. so, I might have a lead on some assistance for the wiring so I am going to turn my attention to trying to put some new stuff on as well as re-installing some parts to move forward. I proceeded with trying to get most of the Vintage Air install completed. I installed the condenser, dryer & binary switch that was supplied with the kit. Overall, it went ok. I test fitted as I assembled and then re installed permanently… I hope! There were a few issues, I guess self-inflected although I think VA could have used a different mount “screws” for the dryer. One issue was I wanted to switch the screw position related to the lower cond. Brackets, I wanted the screw head to be facing out instead of from the engine side. Doing this made the attaching of the nuts quite a bit more difficult due to tight space, but after a few tries with different methods I was finally able to tighten them. The other issue was related to the dryer screws supplied. While test fitting everything I managed to stab or cut multiple fingers on the very sharp points of the screws, my thought is that VA used small screws & nuts everywhere else so why break tradition at the dryer? I am most confident that an engineer /bean counter made that final decision. The only other minor issue was that I needed to long gate top mounting holes of the upper bracket that attaches to the radi core support – minor issue. The misc. line install went pretty good with just a few head scratches on my part. I measured the lines to length and cut extra for now, I will have to have the lines professionally crimped later. The wiring I got pretty much laid in place for now, I will route and loom when I physically start the connection part. The final part I tackled was the dash vents. I am going to replace the dash later so for now I just mocked them in place for connection purposes. Unfortunately, I really didn’t take many pics, I did take a couple though….

Thanks!
Attached Images

Old 05-25-2020, 12:43 PM   #69
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

while trying to button up the AC install (dash related) I installed the dash speakers, they are just a set from pioneer (3.5") as required.....
Attached Images

Old 05-25-2020, 12:47 PM   #70
SCOTI

Quote:
while trying to button up the AC install (dash related) I installed the dash speakers, they are just a set from pioneer (3.5") as required.....
I had to mount mine under the bracket vs resting on top. Double check your clearances.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 11:54 PM   #71
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

scotti,
funny you mention that.. after installing them i thought - "man those seem like they are sitting high i wonder if the dash will sit like supposed to"?... LOL. I will check, I may just do what you did & mount to the dash itself..... atleast the brackets look nice!! lol
Old 05-27-2020, 08:58 AM   #72
STOCKISH
Formerly- 1972SuperCheyenne

Hey man, sorry I did not see your question earlier. Yes, I used the 350 sensors in the LS engine. I used adapters to mount them and deleted the wires from the LS harness. On my current build Im thinking about using the LS sensors and a Dakota Digital dash or something similar that can read off the OBD port or something.

My Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=799218

A good crossthread is better than Loctite any day.

Life is not about what you have, but who you have to share it with.
STOCKISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 01:20 PM   #73
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

stockish,
That is what I am leaning towards as of right now - using the DD dash and the "BIM" system that connects to the OBD port. Now... i just need to locate the 2(?) wires in the harness that I need to connect the physical port to!. I hate wiring ... even with the diagrams I am confused....
Old 05-27-2020, 07:39 PM   #74
TKCR

Quote:
scotti,
funny you mention that.. after installing them i thought - "man those seem like they are sitting high i wonder if the dash will sit like supposed to"?... LOL. I will check, I may just do what you did & mount to the dash itself..... atleast the brackets look nice!! lol
I had to do the same with mine, because the brackets put them up too high.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:21 PM   #75
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

Hope all you guys had a good weekend. I was able to spend some time in the ‘ol garage so I completed a few tasks. Like the great board builder here (N2TRUX) I just tackled small tasks and tried to stay focused. First I channeled my inner childhood model building experience and repaired the scatches on my inner fender. I think I did a pretty good job considering it was done with brushes. I mixed up some primer and brushed it on. After drying I sanded it smooth and then mixed up some of the factory color and brushed it on. I added coats to “build it up” then sanded that down until super smooth, then brushed on the clear… I wet sanded and buffed it. I think for being the inner fender for a daily driver it looks pretty good.
Attached Images