The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-02-2003, 02:47 AM   #1
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

1970blazin

I think that you were the one who chopped down truck door's for your blazer???? If so did you also move the latch big plate's in the blazer door over to the new door or just cut the top off the truck door.. What advice do you have and do your door's fit and close nice..

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 11:44 AM   #2
Gee_Emm
Account Suspended

I cut down truck doors, I took off the latch plates and transfered them too, no biggy, just drill out the spot welds and plug fill them onto the other door. If you are planning on cutting down some doors the best advise I have is to have a Blazer door right next to you and take the measurements from that, look carefully to make sure all your cuts are the same. It only took me about an hour per door. Very easy job.
Gee_Emm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 11:48 AM   #3
1970blazin
Blazerless:-(

My husband is off hunting for the week, so I can't ask him what he did to our doors. I do know that the big latch plates are repainted and waiting until he puts all the parts back on the new doors. We need some good chrome vent windows before he can put the doors back together. As far as cutting the windows down he said he just matched the old doors. The doors are hung, but haven't been fitted up and aligned with the rest of the body panels. We still have to put together the front end. We have the new grills now(inner and outer). Seems like we have lots of work left. I am doing the little stuff like radio, interior, trim ect. He is doing all the panels and doors ect. It's hard to get the time to work on it with 2 little kids running around Did you buy used truck doors, or brand new door skins?? I don't think chopping them down is a big deal, I have just heard that you need that reinforcing plate for stability on a blazer as opposed to a truck.
Let me know if you need more info and I will get Ken to respond to this thread.
Good Luck!
Diane

P.S. Gee-Emm do you have pics of the latch plates? I am wondering if we are talking about the same piece or not???

1970 CST Blazer-Orig. Dark Blue-SOLD

Progress Pics of Blazer for sale
1970blazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 11:57 AM   #4
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Thank's for the reply's I just got some door's from phil and am gonna cut them down,just wanted to ask before I cut as it is harder to put metal back on than getting ot right the first time..

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 12:10 PM   #5
Gee_Emm
Account Suspended

The latch thing I am talking about encompasses the black latch thingy that sticks out of the door. Frenchblue, just take your time, cut away aproximetely what you need to then go a use a file or grinder to get it perfect. An adjustable protrator or angle finder and a steel ruler are a must. Lay out the cutting areas with masking tape and mark on it.
Gee_Emm is offline   Reply With Quote