The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-16-2016, 01:33 PM   #1
Facetime

1970 with SM465.....backup switch?

So I re-wired the blazer with a painless kit. I was of course not thinking when I threw the old harness away. I am trying to reconnect the back-up lights and am stumbling. The harness has two wires that are supposed to connect to the back up switch on the tranny. The only switch I can locate is a single post switch that looks like a temp probe. Any one have any input or thoughts? All of the replacement switches I can find look nothing like what I have here. Thanks in advance for those that can help. Cheers!!
Attached Images

Old 06-16-2016, 01:46 PM   #2
cleszkie

Re: 1970 with SM465.....backup switch?

My SM465 backup switch has two blade-style posts on it. the circuit is closed between the two wires that are attached to it when I shift into reverse. Perhaps in your case, one of the two wires is grounded to the tranny case, and the other is connected to the post on the switch. If the switch is grounded to the tranny case, then perhaps when the tranny is shifted in reverse, the circuit is closed in that manner by running through the case.

Another thought - maybe someone just threw a temp sender in there to close the hole up. You should be able to source a new two post switch.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote