The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-22-2020, 03:57 PM   #1
Root2812

A few general questions about my project

Hi guys. My 1950 LS swap mustang 2 IFS project has been moving along nicely but I came to a few things I want to see what you guys have done.

First, I have a brand new LS1 power steering pump and a brand new (remanufactured) mustang steering rack. The website of the company that remanufactured the rack says the GM pump needs power steering fluid but that the Ford rack recommends Mercon ATF. I want to run power steering fluid but I want to see what some of you with a similar set up have used before I wreck something with the wrong fluid.

Second, the shaft coming out of the mustang 2 rack is 3/4 inch. I see a lot of guys saying they use 1" DD steering shaft but I was leaning toward using 3/4 DD for two reasons. One its thinner and I am tight on space and two its the same diameter as the shaft coming out of the rack. What have some of you with mustang 2 racks used? If Ford felt 3/4 inch was ok wouldn't it be strong enough for my project?

Third, is another fluid question. I know you never mix regular ethylene glycol antifreeze and Dexcool. My engine is freshly rebuilt including machine shop work, my radiator and everything is new too. Since everything is clean and new can I use what ever coolant I want? Or do I still need Dexcool since its an LS engine? I want to use a regular coolant that I can get at the parts store so if I ever need some I can just go get it so the fancy waterless coolants aren't what I am looking for. What have you guys used on your LS swaps?

Everyone hates threads with no pictures so here are some from last night. I am getting close to hearing it run. Thanks in advance for helping.
Attached Images