The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-23-2012, 03:48 PM   #1
brianthelion02
Overdrive club

Newer trucks vs. Older trucks

In a recent towing with question it was brought up that a newer truck is superior to an older truck via better handling and better brakes as well as being heavier.Thoughts?
Posted via Mobile Device

1951 3100 chevy

1970 chevy c-30 Sold!
brianthelion02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:32 PM   #2
yuccales

Re: Newer trucks vs. Older trucks

I've pulled our Jayco behind our 69 a couple of times. The old Chevy did ok, but the drum brakes and lack of power steering takes the fun out of it. When I pull with the GMC (duramax/allison) it makes for a much more relaxing trip. And of course there's no comparing the 350 to the Duramax. I feel very safe pulling with the Sierra. BUT, it's nice to know the old Chevy can still pull it's own weight.
yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:52 PM   #3
MrSchaeferPants

Are you refering to the post where the guy is driving to TX?

Depends on how you look at it. The easy answer is yes. But of course, like most everything, 90% is the driver. The harder part is, an older vehicle could be just as good.

Technology. You have disc brakes, abs, better power steering, better power brakes (I don't even have power brakes in my 68, or power steering) but those that do, ever turn a steering wheel in a brand new truck, vs one in something 20-40 years old? Turn radius is smaller on newer vehicles, they handle much better, more aerodynamic. Have a semi pass you by at 65mph with a cinder block truck, trailer, with something else big and heavy on it, possibly strong winds depending where you're driving.

Also, old truck as in... parts being old? Yeah, 40 year old ball joints, steering linkage, drums, axles, diffs, drive shafts, engine/trans, bolts/screws/fastners.

If your old truck was 100% restored, in working order, and updated brakes, steering, trans, it could be just about as good. It's still a cinder block on wheels though, and fanagle an older truck that takes a football field to make a u-turn, with a trailer.

Depends on how you wanna look at it. MOST of that can be compensated by the driver. I plan on towing/hauling with my 68, but not till I put in a brake controller, 7-pin, power brakes (prolly do disc at the same time) and power steering. But that's cause my trucks a work truck. IF I had a 2012 Cummins or Duramax, I'd use that. But I don't. Only thing I towed with my 68 so far was a wood chipper, mostly highway for like 14 miles, and back when I was done. I CAN tow whatever with it now, but how would I feel if something failed because it wasn't more capable?

Oh and weight. Heavier you are vs. your load, the better, always. PLUS length, same truck shortbed vs. longbed the longbed will always win.

And like yuccales said, comfort of a new truck is nice on long hauls.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:58 PM   #4
Cole Trickle
C-10 Club Member

If your 40 year old truck was 100% restored it would still suck compared to a new modern vehicle for towing safely.

Thats not to say an old truck is bad at towing but comparing a 400hp 2012 with a 10K pound towing capacity and every safety feature in the book to a dinosar is like comparing a appple with a orange imho.

There is no way I would even consider hooking up a 5K load to my 69 and rolling down the freeway at 70 with my family. My 09 silverado will do that standing on its head and get 3x the gas mileage while being quiet and safe.
Cole Trickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:04 PM   #5
big_al_71

100% A new truck is better for anything....... My truck is completely redone with the best of everything and it still does not compare to any of my toyota tundras or new chevy trucks

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:37 PM   #6
MrSchaeferPants

Oh wait, one major downside to a newer truck...

You won't look nearly as cool towing.

That has to count for something.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:59 PM   #7
Bassetlounge

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_al_71 View Post
100% A new truck is better for anything.......
Its not better at getting compliments than a clean old truck..
Bassetlounge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:17 PM   #8
SactoJim

Kinda like comparing a 67 big block Corvette convertible w/factory sidepipes and Ralph Nader hated knock offs to a new Z06 Corvette. That 67 would drive like a tank and get plain embarrassed in regards to over-all performance when compared!

BUT......

Which one has more character and is just plain cooler?

Same applies to old trucks.
- 4 wheel discs
- relocated fuel tank
-

My Build Thread
SactoJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:42 PM   #9
special-K
Special Order

I have managed just fine with my 67-72s and that's all that matters to me. I feel they are modern as anything ever needed to be. And,all the advancements on newer trucks are great until they come around and bite you in the xxx. I've never had a bad sensor or computer problems in a 67-72.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:53 PM   #10
vectorit
What?

I would go for the newer trucks.

But, as my father just recently told me after I explained how I wanted to upgrade the brakes in my (his old burb). "I towed a travel trailer with that Suburban across the country with you and the rest of the family, and even off road in the Sierras and across the desert landscape not once did I complain".

OK Dad...
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:05 PM   #11
74 shortbed 406

50k for a new truck. Put 50k in an old truck and see.

2002 Dodge Dakota R/T rc swb
In need of some more goodies.
74 shortbed 406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:12 PM   #12
JKady

Newer trucks have better brakes, generally more power, 4-6 speed transmissions, stronger frames, etc... Power is nothing without brakes and suspension to control the load. You can make an old truck pass everything but a gas station with a huge trailer behind it, making it stop and control that trailer is a much larger task. I would rather hook my boss's CC/LB Duramax equipped Sierra 3500 to a trailer than my C10 any day of the week.

My dad has had a '70 F100 for going on 25 years now, and did everything he could to make it tow better (load leveling air bags, heavier springs, better tires, best trailer brake controller he could buy at the time), you could still see "the tail wag the dog" so to speak if you were following him with much of a trailer behind it. His 04 F150 with the 7 lug heavy tow package that is bone stock (Aside from transfering said brake controller) you'd almost forget there's a trailer behind it. Both half tons, both make similar HP numbers, I'd almost bet that the '70 would walk the new truck in a drag race, but it can't hold a candle to it towing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I have managed just fine with my 67-72s and that's all that matters to me. I feel they are modern as anything ever needed to be. And,all the advancements on newer trucks are great until they come around and bite you in the xxx. I've never had a bad sensor or computer problems in a 67-72.
Yeah good brakes, fuel mileage and overdrive transmissions are for the birds! I love my old truck for its simplicity and looks, but I have no intentions of setting it up to tow for a reason.
JKady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:27 PM   #13
Hubscrub
Cruzin

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorit View Post
I would go for the newer trucks.

But, as my father just recently told me after I explained how I wanted to upgrade the brakes in my (his old burb). "I towed a travel trailer with that Suburban across the country with you and the rest of the family, and even off road in the Sierras and across the desert landscape not once did I complain".

OK Dad...
my dad said about the same "you know back then they drove them all the time cross country etc" They must have been alot better drivers back then they also didn't have all the high tech roads to drive either we are a spoiled people now days. I'm not a fan of diesels just don't like them i tow everything with my 1/2 ton 85 4x4 does just fine with everything i need to do. All in personal preference i would honestly rather drive a old car that a truck of any year anyways.

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:35 PM   #14
JKady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubscrub View Post
my dad said about the same "you know back then they drove them all the time cross country etc" They must have been alot better drivers back then they also didn't have all the high tech roads to drive either we are a spoiled people now days. I'm not a fan of diesels just don't like them i tow everything with my 1/2 ton 85 4x4 does just fine with everything i need to do. All in personal preference i would honestly rather drive a old car that a truck of any year anyways.
Yeah, they did drive them back then, but so was everyone else. It's not as big a deal when everyone has manual brakes or 4 wheel drums, flat out can't go as fast etc... The modern road is far different than that of yesteryear.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:37 PM   #15
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKady View Post
Newer trucks have better brakes, generally more power, 4-6 speed transmissions, stronger frames, etc... Power is nothing without brakes and suspension to control the load. You can make an old truck pass everything but a gas station with a huge trailer behind it, making it stop and control that trailer is a much larger task. I would rather hook my boss's CC/LB Duramax equipped Sierra 3500 to a trailer than my C10 any day of the week.

My dad has had a '70 F100 for going on 25 years now, and did everything he could to make it tow better (load leveling air bags, heavier springs, better tires, best trailer brake controller he could buy at the time), you could still see "the tail wag the dog" so to speak if you were following him with much of a trailer behind it. His 04 F150 with the 7 lug heavy tow package that is bone stock (Aside from transfering said brake controller) you'd almost forget there's a trailer behind it. Both half tons, both make similar HP numbers, I'd almost bet that the '70 would walk the new truck in a drag race, but it can't hold a candle to it towing.

Yeah good brakes, fuel mileage and overdrive transmissions are for the birds! I love my old truck for its simplicity and looks, but I have no intentions of setting it up to tow for a reason.
Why do people think the brakes are bad on these trucks? Think and do what you want...I do,and I won't call you for being different from me. Ever wonder how people survived back before all these amenities? Not all newer trucks get great fuel economy,either. My '72 K2500 gets 12.5 mpg,has a 5th wheel set-up that's been in there for 40 years,and I've never had a single problem from my non-overdrive transmission. I took my family from Maryland to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon,all over the Southwest,and back to Maryland in our '71 C/20 with a big camper on it when it was 18 years old and all original. What a great time that was and memories to last forever. It handled great and rolled right along with everyone else just fine. Of course,we got a lot of compliments at all the campgrounds and gas stations. If I had payments I would have been home working that month. I can buy a lot of gas with the money saved on payments and big shop rates when repairs are needed. As the newer trucks age they become too costly to repair to be cost effective.

Here in Maryland the speed limit on interstates is 65. Back in '72 it was 70.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:43 PM   #16
JKady

Okay perhaps good brakes was a poor choice of wording, but you honestly believe that stock style brakes from 40 years ago are better than 4 wheel, anti-lock disks? I know folks survived before all these amenities, my '70 has fewer amenities than when it was new (No radio, no heater) and I drive it every day. Common sense and focusing on the task at hand while driving also used to be much more common.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:45 PM   #17
Hubscrub
Cruzin

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Why do people think the brakes are bad on these trucks? Think and do what you want...I do,and I won't call you for being different from me. Ever wonder how people survived back before all these amenities? Not all newer trucks get great fuel economy,either. My '72 K2500 gets 12.5 mpg,has a 5th wheel set-up that's been in there for 40 years,and I've never had a single problem from my non-overdrive transmission. I took my family from Maryland to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon,all over the Southwest,and back to Maryland in our '71 C/20 with a big camper on it when it was 18 years old and all original. What a great time that was and memories to last forever. It handled great and rolled right along with everyone else just fine. Of course,we got a lot of compliments at all the campgrounds and gas stations. If I had payments I would have been home working that month. I can buy a lot of gas with the money saved on payments and big shop rates when repairs are needed. As the newer trucks age they become too costly to repair to be cost effective.

Here in Maryland the speed limit on interstates is 65. Back in '72 it was 70.
yea, the newest i have is an 97 my old ones are better in multiple ways few ways it's better. But i have spent more money on repairs etc. on the newer than the old easily also no payments is a big + too i forgot that

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:49 PM   #18
70cst

Interesting thread

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:54 PM   #19
jocko

such an easy question. Clearly a newer truck is "better" at doing some things, like towing. Yes, it may get a little better mileage. Yes, it might stop a little quicker and be more controlled (and it should when you consider it's half of a 1980's house cost). But then again, I'd venture a guess that on any given night of the year there are more folks on this site's 67-72 or 60-66 sections than anything newer combined. Like someone mentioned above - older trucks are just cool. I agree, but I think it's more than that. Special K hit on it I think - for me, personally, I like my old truck because it takes me back to a simpler, less rat-race time in my life. Seems that's what we tend to seek when we reach a certain point in life. I b there. Simple goooood for me. Look at me waxin all philosophical with myself... I should be waxin my truck! Ok, I'm gonna go take a shot of Geritol.
jocko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:16 PM   #20
Andy4639
Old member

Cool Re: Newer trucks vs. Older trucks

Great thread and some good points on both ends but it's like the Chevy VS Ford VS Dodge issue. There want be a clear winner because it all comes back to the driver him or herself.
I have a 18' utility trailer that I pull with my 08 Tahoe and don't think nothing about it loaded are unloaded it's back there and drive. Remember the lentgh and drive.
My wife, son and daughter if something happen to me and they had to drive for get it it want happen never ever. They would leave the trailer and whatever was on it behind!

I carry golf carts back and forth to the beach with it and run 75-80 MPH with it and it's not even back there except when I need to pass someone! U have to remember the extra lentgh to get back over and when making a turn.

It's all about the driver!
Oh I do pull the trailer locally with my 71 some but not offten. I didn't build it to pull a trailer.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:17 PM   #21
brianthelion02
Overdrive club

Wow,my question has many hood answers and opinions.As I read the other thread I was slightly offended,lol.Im glad to see that I'm not alone in my feelings. I do agree that brand new trucks are superior to the older trucks. However my 71 c-10 stops very very well and handles decently with the stock sway bar intact. I used to own a 96 cclb dually and towed my car trailer a lot with it but my 70 c-30 pulled and stopped better than the 96. As far as the real late model stuff my company vehicle is a 2011 duramax that gets a consistent 10 mpg,for a $50000 vehicle!!! Everyone keep on with the thoughts
Posted via Mobile Device

1951 3100 chevy

1970 chevy c-30 Sold!
brianthelion02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:19 PM   #22
richards72chevy

I cant comment about pulling a trailer.But i had my 72 loaded down with a bunch of crap when me and my wife moved from Ca to Tenn.Ran over a big rig rim and tire going about 70 on the highway.It scared the crap out of us but didnt do any major damage to my 72.We also used it to move to oklahoma and had no major problems.I know a newer truck wouldnt have as much noise and rattles and get better mpg's.
richards72chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:39 PM   #23
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

I don't even have a "new" truck, it's a 2000 Z71, but the two aren't even comparable. In terms of drivability it does absolutely everything better than my C10. I've had absolutely no expensive issues with my Z71 and it's 13 years old with 140K on it. I never think about it, I just jump in and drive. With the 67 I have to check things before trips, make sure I have certain extra parts and tools, etc.. however, I do enjoy driving the 67 more, but in all honestly, the new one is just better.

Moving away from trucks... I have a 100% restored Ford Mustang. Factory non power disc brakes, a/c, 289/C4/2.80 rear, etc... Handles, drives, etc GREAT. HOWEVER, I also own a 2011 V6 Mustang. It blows the ever loving piss out of the 65 in every category except the cool factor. The '11 would smoke it in a staight line, in the twisties, blows it away in fuel mileage, seat comfort, safety, and even burn outs (2.80 rear axle in 65...)
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:25 AM   #24
Andy4639
Old member

Quote:
67ChevyRedneck,

Moving away from trucks... I have a 100% restored Ford Mustang. Factory non power disc brakes, a/c, 289/C4/2.80 rear, etc... Handles, drives, etc GREAT. HOWEVER, I also own a 2011 V6 Mustang. It blows the ever loving piss out of the 65 in every category except the cool factor. The '11 would smoke it in a staight line, in the twisties, blows it away in fuel mileage, seat comfort, safety, and even burn outs (2.80 rear axle in 65...)
67ChevyRedneck,
keep the Ford stuff out of here man what you trying to do cause the site to shut down!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:47 AM   #25
SPIRIT OF 76 CHEVY

I have 5 old trucks and 2 new ones a 08 f250 power stoke and a 2012 dodge 5.7 hemi I towed up to 23000 pounds whit the ford and 14000 pounds whit dodge I would not put any of my babys under that stress so I say new ones but back in 2000 I had a 72 Cheyenne shorty big block that sold I still beat my self up for that I also had a 2000 gmc 1500 supercab it was red whit big whitewalls and the 72 was mid. Blue whit ww I towed the 72 on a car trailer from st pete fla to detroit mi and I had so many thumbs up like every two cars on the hwy and 3 to 5 guys at every gas stop they would say I don't know which one I'd rather have the new one or the old one I told did not know either so I got both theres much more to the story but I'm not to good at spelling some of the words that i need to say I can't spell good so Please read between the lines heres some pics of some heavy towing i wise i had a pic of the gmc and 72
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

70 custom sport truck swb
72 GMC super custom swb
72 Custom/10 swb inline 6 auto p/s p/b
77 silverado swb
86 Buick Grand National
92 silverado sport swb
06 silverado crew cab
07 caddy sts
08 f250 4x4 crew cab Sold!!!
12 dodge ram 1500 big horn

Last edited by SPIRIT OF 76 CHEVY; 05-24-2012 at 05:03 AM.
SPIRIT OF 76 CHEVY is offline   Reply With Quote