The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-31-2016, 09:15 AM   #1
Woodyboat

Fully Topless Questions...

I've never owned a Suburban or Blazer, but I have owned a string of square body trucks. This means that I probably know just enough to be dangerous. However, I honestly do not know the answer so, I will ask even at the risk of appearing stupid.

I often see Blazers running around with no top whatsoever. I have seen some of these that were obvious hack jobs but others honestly look like they came this way from the factory. Did Chevy/GMC ever make these so that the entire roof, from windshield to tailgate, could be removed... or is this just a popular hot rodding exercise?

If this is completely done in the aftermarket, where can i go to learn more. I would love to have one of these but I sure don't want to give up strength and practicality.

Years ago, I was a real air-cooled VW pervert. Even the factory made VW and Karmann Ghia convertibles were very flexible because of not having solid tops. Those cars were as problematic as they could be. Even building a fiberglass dune buggy created a vehicle that had so much body flex that they honestly could become unsafe to drive.
Woodyboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 03:02 PM   #2
buffydores

Re: Fully Topless Questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodyboat View Post
I've never owned a Suburban or Blazer, but I have owned a string of square body trucks. This means that I probably know just enough to be dangerous. However, I honestly do not know the answer so, I will ask even at the risk of appearing stupid.

I often see Blazers running around with no top whatsoever. I have seen some of these that were obvious hack jobs but others honestly look like they came this way from the factory. Did Chevy/GMC ever make these so that the entire roof, from windshield to tailgate, could be removed... or is this just a popular hot rodding exercise?

If this is completely done in the aftermarket, where can i go to learn more. I would love to have one of these but I sure don't want to give up strength and practicality.

Years ago, I was a real air-cooled VW pervert. Even the factory made VW and Karmann Ghia convertibles were very flexible because of not having solid tops. Those cars were as problematic as they could be. Even building a fiberglass dune buggy created a vehicle that had so much body flex that they honestly could become unsafe to drive.
Blazers were full convertibles through the '75 year model. Then they started to produce the integrated roll bar roof top over the front seats. The square bodies were full convertible from '73-'75.
buffydores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 03:49 PM   #3
Woodyboat

Thanks Buffy, this means I need to look for a pre-76 to add to my toy list. I'm thinking that this might be hard to find. But, since I currently don't have any money to even search for it, I guess I'm not losing anything right now.
Woodyboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 05:22 PM   #4
eighteenninetytwo

best value probably 73, 74. and 75 models. Pre smog and fully convertible, but not as "collectible" (read expensive) as the 72 and earlier. Personally Ii think these years of the early square bodies are the best looking K5s but it is very much in the eye of the beholder.
eighteenninetytwo is offline   Reply With Quote