The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network







Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2011, 11:25 PM   #1
rockc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SE WY
Posts: 563
16 gauge

Is 16 gauge wire sufficent to run 6X9 speakers. The wires to the speakers is gonna be about 8' long.
__________________
72 chevy 3/4 ton 4X4
rockc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:10 AM   #2
stich626
Account Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: hingham ma
Posts: 1,721
Re: 16 gauge

yes and no..
yes it'll work, and if running the 6by9 off the head unit (not from an amp) is fine as the headunits speaker leads are that size or smaller..
if running an amp you'll make the amp work harder..
stich626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:33 PM   #3
rockc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SE WY
Posts: 563
Re: 16 gauge

What gauge would you suggest with running off a amp?
__________________
72 chevy 3/4 ton 4X4
rockc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:30 PM   #4
stich626
Account Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: hingham ma
Posts: 1,721
Re: 16 gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockc View Post
What gauge would you suggest with running off a amp?
I used 12 or 10, but I side with overkill

I've run 16 to amps, just not mine..

for some fun reading
http://www.gtsparkplugs.com/WireSizeCalc.html
stich626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:51 PM   #5
BBrendal
Recalculating.....
 
BBrendal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Lenox Il
Posts: 681
Re: 16 gauge

16 ga will work fine for a pair of 6x9s
__________________
Brian - (BBrendal)

1969 Chevy Camaro Z28
1972 Chevy Blazer CST
2004 GMC Yukon (The truck that pulls the car trailer)
1972 Chevy Blazer CST #2 (Finished and sold!)

Blazer build link...
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/...rendal/Blazer/
BBrendal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:08 PM   #6
john_p
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bradley, South Carolina
Posts: 278
Re: 16 gauge

the primary thing past length that determines wire gauge is current.. if you are using a 20 watt speaker.. then you could pull 1.4 or so amps.. a 16 would work out to just under 40 ft.. if i had the wire i would use it, if i was shopping for wire i would pick up the 12.. as posted overkill is better.. where i work i usually cut the power cable off of a piece of anything 220 on the way to the dump.. they tend to have 8 or 10 stranded..
john_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:33 PM   #7
76stepsidechevy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Windsor Locks
Posts: 629
Re: 16 gauge

#14 is rated for 15 amps even the #16 is probably overkill. A regular speaker will never see that kind of current. A speaker isn't running at 12 volts either, probably something more like 50-100 so the current draw is actually quite low.
76stepsidechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:35 AM   #8
85gmc2tone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: greenwood arkansas
Posts: 61
Re: 16 gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by stich626 View Post
yes and no..
yes it'll work, and if running the 6by9 off the head unit (not from an amp) is fine as the headunits speaker leads are that size or smaller..
if running an amp you'll make the amp work harder..
hes right.
85gmc2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:37 AM   #9
85gmc2tone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: greenwood arkansas
Posts: 61
Re: 16 gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockc View Post
What gauge would you suggest with running off a amp?
6 or 8 gauge
85gmc2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:53 AM   #10
BBrendal
Recalculating.....
 
BBrendal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Lenox Il
Posts: 681
Re: 16 gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85gmc2tone View Post
6 or 8 gauge
Thats crazy! You are probably only looking at 40 to 60 watts rms goin to them. If you run 6 or 8 gauge to power 6x9s what would you use for the subs? 4Ga? 2Ga? I dont think so!
__________________
Brian - (BBrendal)

1969 Chevy Camaro Z28
1972 Chevy Blazer CST
2004 GMC Yukon (The truck that pulls the car trailer)
1972 Chevy Blazer CST #2 (Finished and sold!)

Blazer build link...
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/...rendal/Blazer/
BBrendal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:56 PM   #11
76stepsidechevy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Windsor Locks
Posts: 629
Re: 16 gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBrendal View Post
Thats crazy! You are probably only looking at 40 to 60 watts rms goin to them. If you run 6 or 8 gauge to power 6x9s what would you use for the subs? 4Ga? 2Ga? I dont think so!
thats what im saying, depending on insulation your average 8 gauge wire is good for 40 amps. That 6x9 would be on fire long before you could ever put anywhere near that kind of power to it.
76stepsidechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 03:32 AM   #12
stich626
Account Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: hingham ma
Posts: 1,721
Re: 16 gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76stepsidechevy View Post
thats what im saying, depending on insulation your average 8 gauge wire is good for 40 amps. That 6x9 would be on fire long before you could ever put anywhere near that kind of power to it.
yes it would.. but 16 guage is tiny.. and forces the amp to work harder.. the harder the amp needs to push the more distortion you have , even when played low volume..
I like 12 guage for most stuff. unless it's gonna be pushed..
my truck the wire to the 6by9 are 14 guage because I needed to get to sets of leads in the door.. and 2 pairs of 12 didn't fit.. and without sounddeadner, any little distortion will not be an issue with the sound coloration that will be going on..
the seperates have 10 guage going to them from the amp.. to the crossover.. overkill, maybe but I didn't buy seperates, to loose the sound from the wire..
it depends on what your needs are.. just tunes.. any wire will do.. 20 guage.. fine, just don't expect any bass control or crisp highs..
it al depends on what you call sounding ok to you.. with 6by9's low end that drops off like a rock (most) limiting them more with thin wire. is silly..
the more sound deadner you add the more you find that the little details make a huge difference..
stich626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:37 AM   #13
BBrendal
Recalculating.....
 
BBrendal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Lenox Il
Posts: 681
Re: 16 gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by stich626 View Post
yes it would.. but 16 guage is tiny.. and forces the amp to work harder.. the harder the amp needs to push the more distortion you have , even when played low volume..
I like 12 guage for most stuff. unless it's gonna be pushed..
my truck the wire to the 6by9 are 14 guage because I needed to get to sets of leads in the door.. and 2 pairs of 12 didn't fit.. and without sounddeadner, any little distortion will not be an issue with the sound coloration that will be going on..
the seperates have 10 guage going to them from the amp.. to the crossover.. overkill, maybe but I didn't buy seperates, to loose the sound from the wire..
it depends on what your needs are.. just tunes.. any wire will do.. 20 guage.. fine, just don't expect any bass control or crisp highs..
it al depends on what you call sounding ok to you.. with 6by9's low end that drops off like a rock (most) limiting them more with thin wire. is silly..
the more sound deadner you add the more you find that the little details make a huge difference..
I think rockc just wants to put an amp to a pair of 6x9 for some added power from his 13 watt rms head unit to hear it over the exhaust and road noise and call it a day. For that the 16 ga will be fine. I use 16 ga for anything under 75 watts rms in a driver and /or competition systems. Ive had no complaints of any distortion (with top of the line amps and speakers) and had nothing but a clean and crisp sound. I set the gain and crossover points so they are not maxed out like some people like to do for some reason. 2/3 or a scoche more is plenty. Now if you are running a JL audio 5 channel amp with 100 watt rms to all 4 speakers then Id step it up to a 12 ga even though the lows woub be cut at by at least 90db and that 500 watt subwoofer channel Id step up to an 8 ga. I dont think rockc is going for that elaborite of a system.
__________________
Brian - (BBrendal)

1969 Chevy Camaro Z28
1972 Chevy Blazer CST
2004 GMC Yukon (The truck that pulls the car trailer)
1972 Chevy Blazer CST #2 (Finished and sold!)

Blazer build link...
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/...rendal/Blazer/
BBrendal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013 67-72chevytrucks.com