The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > Review Board > Vendor Reviews

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-15-2004, 04:22 PM   #1
XXL
Seņor Member

Thumbs down Vendor review -- Pardue's Custom (LONG POST)

Pardue's Custom
2712 Pardue Hill Rd.
Jonesville, NC 28642

w. (336) 835-4237
m. (336) 244-2232
h. (336) 527-4237

parduescustoms@wmconnect.com

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Project: Full cab makeover, including chopped top, suicide doors, and paint.

Start date: 2-2003
End date: 2-2004*

It seems like so long ago that I bought this old cab to fix up and swap out with the one currently on my truck. In August of 2002, I first talked with Tony Pardue of Pardue's Customs about doing some work on my cab. I sent him some pictures of the cab along with detailed information on what I was trying to accomplish. It was around mid-December when we finally worked out all the details, but he said he'd be busy until January, but then he could start on the cab. I arranged to get the truck down to his shop, and after battling some bad winter weather, it arrived the first week of February, 2003 (Thanks again, Old Rusty C10).

Early on it was clear that Tony was not sticking to the schedule he had committed himself to. We had agreed that he would keep me updated weekly, and that he would take lots of progress pictures with his digital camera and send them to me regularly. He sawed the roof off the cab within the first 6 weeks, but then nothing happened for some time. I understand the hassle of having a customer call all the time for updates, but I think the cab would still be sitting in his shop in sawed-up pieces had I not started calling him regularly. At the 6 month mark (we had agreed that I would have the cab back no later than 7 months) I was deeply concerned that he was so far behind in the work-- I had just lost my job (everything's going to India, folks , and might have to relocate for a new position... so I would need my cab to move with me.

Quote:
XXL wrote on 09-05-2003 11:29 PM:
That was supposed to happen last week per our phone conversation. It sounds like my truck is getting pushed to the back of the stack again... I noticed that you posted that you're starting work on somebody else's truck. It seems reasonable that you should get mine finished first. We're a whopping _3_ months past the email I sent telling you that I was disappointed in the pace of progress, and what appears to be false commitments from you... "2 more weeks" , "2 more weeks" and so on. I can safely say that I'm moving well beyond the irritated stage on this.

Here's what I said then...

---begin---

Sat 6/7/2003 2:40 PM

Tony, as I mentioned in my phone call to you last week, I'm getting frustrated with the pace of this project, and of the apparent lack of communication on your part. From your PM's I get the impression that I'm being blown off, but from our phone calls I begin to think that you're trying to get things done. I suppose it might just be the way you communicate via PM that's throwing me off... I don't know.

But what I do know is that you've said a lot of things (I call them commitments) that haven't happened, which is really what bothers me most.

Way back in October, you told me...

"I have done 3 chop top and i get 600.00 a top and if you could send some pic . and of the area that need work and of the area that you have done allready i still thank we could stay around 1500.00-2000.00 with a chop iam trying to help"

I'm not completely sure how we got from $2000 to $4000 but I realize that I'm asking for more work, the rockers needed fixing, and the windshield and side glass need to be cut. Maybe that's where the difference comes in... but what I don't understand is how we got from me getting the cab down to you in early February, to you saying that you were going to jump on it in March, to 1/4th the way through June and it's not even being worked on. What about March, April, May? On May 10 you told me 4-6 weeks to completion. Well, it's been 4 weeks since you said that. Do you think you'll be done in 2 weeks?

What needs to happen to get you focused on THIS project and get it completed?

If you prefer phone conversation, feel free to call. I'd like to get this resolved before it becomes more of a thorn in both our sides.

Thanks,

Kenneth
508-740-9630

---end---
Part of what I do is "project management" stuff so I 'took over' in that regard and started doing daily status assessments, organizing To Do lists for Tony, etc. That worked for about 2 weeks, and then he stopped answering his mobile phone or returning voicemail.

When I finally contacted him, he had a laundry list of excuses as to why he had not kept in touch and why he had not progressed-- sick relatives, computer not working, lost phone, dog ate homework, and on and on. Aside from the absurdity of so many excuses, I actually gave him the benefit of the doubt and moved forward.

I had prepaid Tony $1000, and our agreement had been that I would pay the balance on completion of the project.

Quote:
Pardue'sCustoms wrote on 05-08-2003 01:43 AM:
i thank by you swinging the wrong driction will stop you from doing it that way he can put the motor in beind the cab piller where the jack used to go i have just about got both post done i took a wreck in this week and will have to work on it if i get the cab top done in next week could you send a 1,000.00 of the 4'000 and then i will not need no more untill i get it done i just figur sinec i got the top done you might would not mind me doing that and the show was nice and lot's of fun thanks Tony
The first solid indication that he was changing the rules was when Tony said he was going to make my cab his top priority-- working on it nonstop until it was done. But that I would have to send him more money. I communicated my disapproval over changing the payment terms we had previously established, but began sending him regular payments (by USPS money order**). But even with the influx of money, Tony wasn't providing progress information or pictures as agreed. This time he had a broken camera, email virus, he forgot, he had pictures in the camera but it was at home, etc. I now believe this was his way of avoiding the honest answer that he had not been working on the cab.

In January Tony and I had what I would describe as a "knock down, drag out" over the phone. I had accepted a job offer that would have me relocating in February, and so would need the cab to be completed and here before then. Tony committed with his pseudo-religious "I swear to God it will be done by the end of January." Two weeks later he called to push the date out to February 7th. On February 5th he called to push the date to the 12th. (Each of these changes, aside from the obvious "swearing to God" nonsense, required that I trouble Old Rusty C10 to rearrange his schedule yet again.)

The day before the cab was to be picked up, Tony called and attempted to "renegotiate" the amount due. He now claimed that I owed him $700 additional for the glass in the cab. I sent him PDF snapshots of emails and PM's proving that the glass cost had been included in our final agreement oh so many months ago. After quite a bit of yelling on my part, and my indication that we could resolve this in court, he "acquiesced," making it sound as though he was doing me some kind of favor by sticking with the agreed upon amount.

As Old Rusty C10 was preparing to load the cab and bring it to me, Tony called and insisted that I not hold him liable for any damage to the cab while it was being loaded. Sure... whatever. I just wanted my cab back.

The cab arrived yesterday, and 3 of us offloaded it without breaking a sweat (thank you Archimedes!). We rolled the cab into my well-lit garage and, voila...

[more to follow]

-------------------

* Job wasn't properly "ended" and so this represents when the cab was returned to me.

** USPS Money Orders offer a great deal of protection from "non performance" by a seller. Since they are official instruments, a seller may be culpable under Postal Fraud regulations for failure to perform. (Tony, are you reading this?)

XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 04:51 PM   #2
XXL
Seņor Member

On to the work...

First, the color is not correct. The color code I requested was 1971 Ford "J" (Grabber Blue, as seen on the Mach I, Pinto, and Maverick). The cab color has too much white in it... so it's more pale blue than it should be.

Second, much of the paint work redefines the concepts of orange peel and dry spray. The roof appears to have been painted at an extreme angle, and so streaked, dry in some places, and wet in others (see above photo). Perhaps Tony failed to stand on something when painting the roof? I do know that he is very short.

Third, the body lines, jambs, and panel alignment is atrocious. There is a 3/4" gap between it and the glass in the center, but is tight on the edges. The door gap is very inconsistent all the way around, and the door-to-cowl gap is huge. I can't wait to see what the fender gap looks like. (A friend who saw the gap suggested I use it as a brake cooling duct ).

Next, one of the areas Tony was asked to take particular care in was the drip rail. Because a) my current cab has water/rust damage there, and b) because, with the chopped top and slammed truck it would be easy to see, I wanted to make sure that the drip rail was properly sealed, smooth, and clean. Here's what I got (and it gets worse on the sides of the cab)--

Tony's handling of body work is well represented by this shot of the passenger side of the firewall. Those are not cracks, but simply an improperly prepared surface.

In this shot, you can see a stain of some sort bleeding through the paint. He was supposed to shave the brake booster holes. Aside from the bonus semi-shave I got of two of the steering column holes, the color bleeding through is pretty strong in person (marked by arrows in this pic as the camera doesn't pick it up as well as the human eye).

Tony, if you've read this far, feel free to point out any incorrect statements you feel I've made in this thread. I have documented nearly every conversation, email, and PM we've ever had, as well as all payments made to you. I also have the cab itself as proof of what I would describe as your utter incompetence. I hope anyone who thinks of doing business with you will benefit from this thread, and the information contained, and will be able to make their own decisions based on this and any other information they might have.

As for what I think of you as a bodywork professional, it it isn't obvious, I think you're one of the worst I've ever seen. As for what I think of you as an individual (an "honest, Christian man, as you have promoted yourself")... based on this experience, I find you to be a liar and a cheat, and a man without dignity or shame. We may yet meet again, if I choose to pursue restitution from you through the courts or otherwise.
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 05:47 PM   #3
jamis
F.A.S.T. president

Man....what a nightmare....I'm pissed off just reading this, I can't begin to imagine your frustration. You should post this in every forum you find, so they wont do it again to someone else.
jamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 05:54 PM   #4
wnc mountain
More hobbies than money!

Thanks for posting this! I have been looking at people around the NC area to do some work for me and this has narrowed my list. I know it is of little consulation but he will be getting none of my business.
'72 Blazer project
wnc mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 07:04 PM   #5
Steven Sellers

I feel every man should have the chance to have his say but you definetly have your ducks in a row. I only hope you can work this issue out without the courts involved. I, like wnc, have been considering individuals in NC so I will be watching this thread
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee(wifes/wrecked)
1977 DJ5 postal jeep(mmm lots of fun)
1988 Toyota 2wd p/u(DD, blewup 199,000)
1991 Toyota 2ed p/u (sry just cant break these things)
1997 XR70 Honda
1991 Z50(FOR SALE)
1972 Z50 Honda
1970 SWB 350/knucklebuster "The adventure begins and I am confident that there will be no end".
Steven Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 07:57 PM   #6
DavidM

wow

Wow thats terrible if you where in Ca.... I send you to my body guy hes a total professional..... and seeing from the pics you have just cause in your dissapointment....

I hope you get this all sorted out and good luck........

Jezzzz that pic of the door overlaping the cowling sighs......

Has he not heard of shims for the love of god.......

Proud Owner of
A 67 C10
Shortfleet 350/350/3.73
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 08:51 PM   #7
mooneyes

...wow...its pretty bad when you can see bad bodywork in pictures..we wish you luck and i'm sure we all thank you for the heads up..
70 lwb 305/700r driver
78 caprice project
02 cavalier D.D ( hate it!!)
mooneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 09:15 PM   #8
smitty62

Tony--I, as well as a lot of others are waiting to see how you address these problems. Having met you and taken a liking to you, I don't believe you would leave this man hanging like this. A man is only as good as his word, so I'm sure you will get this straightened out. If it goes to court--YOU BOTH LOSE. If he paid you the full AGREED to amount????????--it would be to your benefit to take the cab back and do it over properly and promptly. I'm sure there are two sides to the story, you need to express yours now.

PS--leave Christianity out of it--I too am a Christian, but that is a lame excuse that is much overused everywhere.

Stepsides look like real trucks!
Smitty

Last edited by smitty62; 02-15-2004 at 09:19 PM.
smitty62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 10:04 PM   #9
swervin ervin
You get what you pay for

After seeing this mess, Tony for sure wouldn't touch it again if it belonged to me.

I agree, it must look like the worst paint job in the world in person. It looks like it in the pics. The orange peel is ridiculous alone. Doing this kind of work, I dare say you probably don't get many jobs.

That's a total shame. Makes me feel bad even being in same state.

Guys, let me assure you. Everyone in NC is not like this.

1985 Chevy C-10
swervin ervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 10:10 PM   #10
cag17

Thats is it, I have had it with all of this crap. From the beginning, you haven't given Tony a chance. He had to cover up so much of your screw ups that he couldn't do the job that you requested. Sometimes you get what you ask for!!!!!

First, look at the bottom of the doors, to make it work with your rocker screw ups, Tony had to cut the bottom edge of the door because you were too cheap to do it right.

Second, I enjoyed watching the idiot leaving with your beautiful cab on the back of the Ford Ranger. Sometimes, when you are cheap on little things like delivery, things happen.

DON'T BLAME SOMEONE ELSE FOR YOU BEING A TOTAL IDIOT.

And by the way, I can't wait till the bass hits the first time and your fiberglass falls off the back of the cab because "you think it will stay". Ya, right

Just my two cents
Old 02-15-2004, 10:41 PM   #11
rolson1039

Quote:
Originally posted by cag17
Thats is it, I have had it with all of this crap. From the beginning, you haven't given Tony a chance. He had to cover up so much of your screw ups that he couldn't do the job that you requested. Sometimes you get what you ask for!!!!!

First, look at the bottom of the doors, to make it work with your rocker screw ups, Tony had to cut the bottom edge of the door because you were too cheap to do it right.

Second, I enjoyed watching the idiot leaving with your beautiful cab on the back of the Ford Ranger. Sometimes, when you are cheap on little things like delivery, things happen.

DON'T BLAME SOMEONE ELSE FOR YOU BEING A TOTAL IDIOT.

And by the way, I can't wait till the bass hits the first time and your fiberglass falls off the back of the cab because "you think it will stay". Ya, right

Just my two cents
NOW for my two cents.. this is the "idiot" you refer to in your post speaking
you must be the wanna be springer guest who was hanging around in tony pardues shop.( we find out later that you werent even there at any time when the cab was loaded and while we pulled out of the shop, so the best that you can do is comment from the four pictures taken by tony of the truck cab in my ranger bed. you were not privy to any of the conversations etc that i had with tony prior to leaving etc.) when the cab arrived in kennys place of business the following day there was no appreciable damage to it, save the scratches tony and the other guys did while loading it into the truck. there was, however many imperfections in the body work on this truck... the drip rail was as crappily filled as possible, there were more runs in the paint than ive ever seen on anything... hell painting with a wagner power painter would have been a better job, there were holes in the filler from lack of filling or lack of body putty after filling. the tops of the doors did not have gaps equal all the way around. the cowl curve was way off as compared to the windshield frame. there was fish eye all over the cab there was countless marks in filler on the firewall, there was filler flash all around that should have been removed , there was edges along the seams of the cab that were not straight and should have been ground down there were stains in the paint id imagine from not being prepsalled prior to paint.
frankly ive seen better body work on NYC taxi cabs, and kenny would have been better off taking his truck to EARL SCHEIB than having the work done by you people.
By the way your reference to me as an idiot, having not had a cross word with you or any problem with you leads me to think f a quote ( a version of which is posted by one of the other board members in his signature. " Tis better to remain silent and be thought of as an idiot, than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt" heres some free friendly advice to you, sir.. i would run not walk to the nearest state run medical facility and sign up as a poster boy for what inbreeding and beastiality causes in the mind .. you are a shining example.

Last edited by rolson1039; 02-16-2004 at 11:39 AM.
rolson1039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 10:55 PM   #12
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Cag...you seem to have quite the sweet spot for Tony...does tony lube it up and slide it in inch by inch like a gentleman or do you like it when he's jsut rams it home ??
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 11:16 PM   #13
68 Suburban

Quote:
Originally posted by MHC
Cag...you seem to have quite the sweet spot for Tony...does tony lube it up and slide it in inch by inch like a gentleman or do you like it when he's jsut rams it home ??
lol..... You can see a picture of Cag at the following link. He is right next to Tony

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ighlight=cag17
Old 02-15-2004, 11:18 PM   #14
72MARIO

The cab needed to be repainted and be totally redone so what would it have mattered if it was transported in the back of a frigging garbage truck ? The work looks like total Sh*t I would be Ashamed to have my name on that quality of work. Why bother standing up for him ? Can you yourself not say the work that Tony produced looks like Sh*t ?
1990 V2500 Suburban "Plow Truck"
2005 TAHOE DD
72MARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 11:50 PM   #15
Smooth68

That is horrible work!!! You have got to be kidding me - do that crap quality of work, keep the customers cab over a year and still charge Kenny full price of...GULP....$4000 dollars. Sorry Kenny, hope it all works out for you.

WTB 64-66 project or frame/cab, SWB or LWB...I have the fever! Whatcha got??

'68 Short Step - Shaved Body, Soon Bagged - SOLD

Driver-2004 GMC Z-71 Ext-cab
Smooth68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 12:30 AM   #16
00droptopSS
2.5/4 on 20's

Quality

I closed over 700 repair orders last year for customers and still managed to restore my own truck in six months working just a couple of hours a day and a weekend here and there. Plus repaint a 59 Caddy for the local auto museum.

I took in a custom job in November and delivered the first week of Feburary right on schedule. I even repaired several items that were not paid for by the customer because my name was attached to it and I wouldn't let it go out of the shop looking or running bad.

I sent regular updates to my customer and even delivered the car 200 miles to Dallas when he became ill and couldn't pick it up. Did I make money on it? No, but I did what I said I would do for the price I quoted and I have a customer for life.

The work is garbage there is no excuse for that period. With that said I hope you guys are able to work this out with out to much trouble.

XXL if you get relocated to the North Louisiana area I will be happy to help with your cab.

My Old 72 SWB
00droptopSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 12:48 AM   #17
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: Quality

Quote:
Originally posted by 00droptopSS
I closed over 700 repair orders last year for customers and still managed to restore my own truck in six months working just a couple of hours a day and a weekend here and there. Plus repaint a 59 Caddy for the local auto museum.

I took in a custom job in November and delivered the first week of Feburary right on schedule. I even repaired several items that were not paid for by the customer because my name was attached to it and I wouldn't let it go out of the shop looking or running bad.

I sent regular updates to my customer and even delivered the car 200 miles to Dallas when he became ill and couldn't pick it up. Did I make money on it? No, but I did what I said I would do for the price I quoted and I have a customer for life.

The work is garbage there is no excuse for that period. With that said I hope you guys are able to work this out with out to much trouble.

XXL if you get relocated to the North Louisiana area I will be happy to help with your cab.
ya know i got a guy in brooklyn NY that i have followed to two different shops cause he does quality work, and is a great person as well as craftsman. He runs his business like you run yours, 00 and im tickled to death the way he does business.. you hit the nail on the head when you said" I did what i said i would do for the price quoted and i have a customer for life" That is what seperates the gentlemen and great people from the ones who are hacks and shouldnt be in business.You should go very far in whatever you do in life as you have the attitude of success

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 12:51 AM   #18
DavidM

hmmm

I showed my body guy thos pics.... and well in 20 years he has not seen such shoty work he told me....

I hope You can both come to a compromise on this.....

If it comes down to it maybe some boardmembers can help you fix your cab...

Proud Owner of
A 67 C10
Shortfleet 350/350/3.73
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 01:43 AM   #19
fine69

I too have done work for others. No way would someone have seen that crappy cab. Let alone ask them for more money.
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 02:12 AM   #20
TIMSPEED

Hey DavidM, who's your bodyman?
Old 02-16-2004, 02:13 AM   #21
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

im really surprised Tony hasnt come to his own defense. XXL, what is keeping you from driving down there and taking your $4K out of him with your bare hands? i know if i invested that kind of cake in a project i'd definitely end up hurting someone. that's why i love living with an experienced body man.
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 06:46 AM   #22
68SWB4x4
Strongman Garage

parduecustom.... what a joke, ive always known you were bad news, for years. From looking at those pics the only work you could quailfy for is a extra on the set of delivrince.
68SWB4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 09:48 AM   #23
MOTHERTRUCKERS

The sad part is the cab was not dipped to remove the inner rust.
Old 02-16-2004, 10:47 AM   #24
cag17

I guess that is what I get for speaking in anger!!! Thanks for telling how you people really are. I agree with mothertruckers, there is a lot more that should have been done to the cab to make it a top notch show winner.

rolson1039, I wasn't there when you loaded the cab so don't blame that guy.
Old 02-16-2004, 11:22 AM   #25
Suicide-D

Location: Katy, TX...but the love of my life resides in Dublin,OH.
Sorry to hear you had such a bad time. Hopefully it will all get worked out.
Suicide-D is offline   Reply With Quote