The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-02-2019, 05:44 PM   #1
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Hypothetical question on Frizzles SWB “Tahoe”

It’s one of my favorite builds on the board, and one I occasionally go through page one to the end. I wish he would have finished it up.

He shortened his chassis to SWB truck length. Could he just as easily used a truck SWB chassis, two or four wheel drive (I know he didn’t go 4x4, it’s hypothetical remember) to accomplish the same thing with less work?
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 06:31 PM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Hypothetical question on Frizzles SWB “Tahoe”

He shortened a Suburban chassis, right? He could have used a pickup chassis but there would be more body mount work to be done. I guess there was some with the Suburban chassis, too, due to shortening.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:49 PM   #3
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Yes plus he put a huge notch in it. He also had to move body mounts. I was just thinking (hypothetically) if all he was going to do was make a SWB style burb (no C notch) whether in 2X or 4X could he have just put the burb on one of those chassis and only have to deal with a body mount or two when he finished the burb shortening. Its so crazy he did all this with the body on!

I see a lot of mention of people wanting to do this, mostly just talk, but if someone gets serious it seems worthwhile to dig up a SWB chassis.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:24 AM   #4
randy500
Account Suspended

Shortening the chassis is about. 1.5 day job, switching frames is much more than that.
I usually only shorten a nice driving 72 chassis, one that doesn’t need any chassis work. I’ve done a bunch of them, and do it because I try to keep my trucks in fully driveable condition, that way they are useful and get finished. All this frame off, restore every part whether it needs it or not makes for a super long project and most never get finished.
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:35 AM   #5
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy500 View Post
Shortening the chassis is about. 1.5 day job, switching frames is much more than that.
I usually only shorten a nice driving 72 chassis, one that doesn’t need any chassis work. I’ve done a bunch of them, and do it because I try to keep my trucks in fully driveable condition, that way they are useful and get finished. All this frame off, restore every part whether it needs it or not makes for a super long project and most never get finished.
I see what you are saying Randy for sure. I remember Frizzle did his in such a way that the Burb was always drivable because it was his daily. Now I don't have the skill set people like you, Frizzle, Livrat (just to name a few of you guys) have, I was just thinking out loud.

A lot of times here on the board I toss stuff out there that goes through my pea brain while surfing the board because I think it makes for interesting "garage talk" and often times goes in directions where I end up learning just a little more about our trucks, and building things in general.

I don't have any Burbs anymore but I still have my panel. I was talking to Livrat awhile back and mentioned I thought it would be cool to do with my panel what Frizzle did with his Burb. At that time I had both a short 4x4 chassis and a short 2 wheel drive chassis. I could kinda see he was a bit skeptical (and he was correct of course lol) that I could pull anything even close to that off haha! But Mark is always polite and didn't blow my silly idea off =)
Old 01-03-2019, 01:41 PM   #6
randy500
Account Suspended

Is what happened to Frizzle and the Tahoe, I bumped into that build again the other day, it was neat and coming together nicely.
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 02:26 PM   #7
Low Elco

He posted on IG that he may be getting something going on Tubby, since he's finally done messing with the little blue car.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote