The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-26-2010, 09:48 PM   #1
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Which GM Crate Motor

Ok, after talking around I've come to the conclusion I am just getting a new crate engine from GM for my 87 with TBI. It has a 350 in it, so naturally I'm going back with a 350. Looks like I can get a plain jane stock replacement, with ~180ish horsepower. Yawn.

What issues would I have stepping up another few 100 bucks and getting the 290 horsepower? I'm thinking the stock injectors will be stout enough, can reuse stock intake and distributor (I think?) as far as I can tell. I'm eager to get the engine done and get a 350 transmission in it. Give me you ideas. I can get this in my door at ~$1999, that's not even a full $100 more than the bone stock replacement.

Quote:
350/290 HP

What's Hot?
Economical power
Four-bolt block
290 horsepower

The best value crate engine in the GM Performance Parts lineup!

The 350/290 HP is the most popular GM Performance Parts crate engine because no one can deliver such performance for this kind of value. GM Performance Parts believes that everyone should be able to afford a high quality, high performance GM V-8 without going broke. The 350/290 is an answer to those car crafters who demand maximum return on their money. However, just because it's affordable, don't think that it's a stone. The 350/290 delivers 290 hp @ 5100 rpm and a solid 326 lb.-ft. of torque at 3750 rpm. With those kinds of numbers, it's the perfect replacement engine for the millions of GM vehicles that shipped with a small-block. Got a tired, old project car that needs a lift? This is the crate engine for you.

We've also loaded the 350/290 with a four-bolt main bearing block, aluminum pistons, and a hydraulic camshaft. The cast iron cylinder heads are designed to be extremely durable while still providing good airflow through the engine.

The 350/290 will ship to you as a Base-level long block. Add an intake manifold, carburetor, ignition system, starter, balancer, and water pump, and you'll be ready to hit the road with a fresh new motor. All of these parts are available from GM Performance Parts, and with its low price, you'll have no problem finishing off the 350/290 in style.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:12 PM   #2
joe231

Re: Which GM Crate Motor

You will have to open up the 2 center holes in you stock TBI intake to work with the older head.
This is the same engine I have in my crew with TBI.
it runs good.
I'm about to swap in an 88-98 rear diff with 3.73 gears.
It ought to be fun then
Old 06-26-2010, 10:16 PM   #3
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Ok, what does that involve? Easy as a drill and a bit, or take it to a machine shop and have something done? I'd like to have all my ducks in a row and ready, so when I get the engine dropped off we can tackle it in a day. I do have an extra 350 TBI sitting in that parts burb, so I could take the intake off it and go have it worked if needed I guess. Or is there an aftermarket intake that would be better to use?

But it will work, this is exactly what I was wanting to hear from someone. Surely 290 horses will be enough to make me happy.

Last edited by RandyP; 06-26-2010 at 10:17 PM.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 10:29 PM   #4
joe231

the intake I used the holes were just wallowed out with a drill bit into an oblong shape. I didn't do it, it was done by the guy I bought it from, he was running it on an older small block. a bur bit in an air grinder would probably work well.
if you look at the TBI intake you will see the middle 2 bolts are more vertical than the others are due to the angle of the holes in the TBI heads
I was thinking about getting my other manifold milled so it was cleaner. It is going on the wife's '66 when we get it back together.
I personally love the GM TBI for reliability and fuel mileage.

Last edited by joe231; 06-26-2010 at 10:51 PM.
joe231 is offline   Reply With Quote