The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-25-2018, 10:07 AM   #1
Knight72

Big Rhonda long term build thread

I am starting a build thread to keep me on task over the next few years for the restore on my 72 lwb. I bought Rhonda for $1500 in Talladega a year or so back. Dropped it off in the garage with plans to chop the fram, make a swb stepper, and drop an old 350 in to putt around in. On the surface she looked great, but after digging in there are some problems I couldn't just gloss over. So my slap it together project and drive went out the window. There's nothing special about my truck, but I have a some sentimental attachment after spending the last year seeing it sit with flat tires looking ragged out and tired. So I am doing a long term build that will probably be a full frame off restoration. The plans also shifted on the drive train. Current plans:

454 (mild build) with Tremec TKO
New complete wiring from AAW
Replace rusted inner cowl, rockers, cab corners, and kick panels.
Replace the rusted sections of bed floor.
Clean and POR15 the frame.
Either a static 2/4 drop or bag system.
Relocate gas tank to under bed
Replace rusty radiator support and fenders.
Paint black with Detroit steel artillery style wheels.
Upgrade rear drums to disc
Power steering and brakes.

Timeline is 3-5 years. Goal is to cut my teeth on the restore doing all of it I possibly can myself. I've rebuilt a Cherokee 4x4 but nothing to this scope. A majority of my time will be practicing with body work and painting old panels. I've got a mig, most tools I'll need, and a plasma cutter. Other stuff will be purchased along the way.

Pictures are how she looked coming home last year. I'll update today or tomorrow with how she currently sits.
Attached Images

Still plugging away.

Build thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...42#post8247142
Knight72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 01:23 AM   #2
kingNothing

Re: Big Rhonda long term build thread

I remember seeing this truck when I was looking for a 72. You know if its from Talladega it will go fast..lol. Sounds like you have a good plan in place. It should make a very cool truck.I'll be following along

Lucas Jackson
kingNothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 08:14 PM   #3
Knight72

Appreciate it King. I was impressed with the truck for $1500.

So I had some time in the garage and finished stripping my cab. I've got some areas to fix, but I don't think the cab is too far gone. I'll definitely need rockers and cab corners. I've got the metal but foolishly got rid of the old fenders. I thought they were gone and didn't want them taking up space. So no rocker install until I get fender repops for line up, sucks because I have the metal sitting on the shelf. Cut out the rusty radiator support and meticulously pulled all the dash components and vintage air without breaking it all. The areas I've sanded and stripped look okay. Some pitting in the floor. Cab supports are solid, back half of the cab is solid. Pretty happy so far

Cut the center out of the Reese hitch since some doofus welded it to the frame, I'll have to wait til I pull the bed and cut it out with the plasma cutter. Gotta hit the hardware store for a plug to wire it up.

Also Decided to stick with the 350 for budget sake especially since I have it on the stand and all parts minus the new heads. One day I'll have that 454. I've got it stripped to the long block. Going to hang out there until I finish working my way through my rebuild book.
Attached Images

Still plugging away.

Build thread:
Old 05-02-2018, 01:17 AM   #4
Knight72

Some progress today. Pulled the bed and the Frame is solid just super rusty. Plans are gaining clarity and solidifying on where I want this truck to go. Frame off restoration is probably not the most accurate description. I have seen some amazing full restorations on the site and it's not fair to put my build on that level. I am definitely pulling the cab and bed. So technically it's a frame off, but I am building a driver that's gonna work like a truck and hopefully look good. However I won't be cutting corners and all of the rusted metal will be cut from cab and replaced with new. I am debating on power washing the gunk and wire wheeling the frame, then two coats por15 and a top coat. Southern winters are mild with no salt. I am hoping this is the best course, but I'm still scouring the paint and body subsection. I don't have a compressor up to the task of spraying... Yet. It's on the list. So a roller or spray bomb option is my plan for the frame. Bed floor has some serious issues. It will be the next section to tackle looks to be the left and right sections at the header panel end need to be replaced. I will be marking and cutting those sections and hopefully welding replacements in by late May/early June. I am also planning on bed lining the bed and associated areas due to the expectations of loading tons of stuff in the truck over the next few years. Not sure if I should power wash and por15 it before hitting it with bed liner. Also I decided I am going with solid black paint with a dark saddle interior.
Attached Images

Still plugging away.

Build thread:
Old 05-03-2018, 09:52 PM   #5
Knight72

Pulled the cab, transmission, driveshaft, and emergency brake lines today. Managed to not break anything. Tomorrow I'm going to push it behind the shop and soak her down with some biodegradable degreaser and pressure wash the gunk and dirt dobber nests. On a side note looks like I might have a 12 bolt posi with 3.73 gears. I'll know for sure when I pull the diff cover, but all signs are positive. I think I might have a small bend in the frame up front, might need to heat it and correct it with a bfh.
Attached Images

Still plugging away.

Build thread:
Old 05-04-2018, 05:27 AM   #6
72 tigger

Looks good- you’re doing it right
72 tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 10:50 PM   #7
Knight72

Thanks Tigger, I'm working at it slowly.

I pushed the frame out behind the shop and soaked it down with some krudkutter. Then hit it with the pressure washer for a couple hours. Cleaned up pretty well especially the control arms and steering linkages. I'll start hitting the surface rust tomorrow to prepare it for the por15. Also pulled the diff cover and confirmed I have a posi rear-end. Pretty pumped about that. Scouring the forum and reading today made me change my mind on moving the gas tank from the cab. One small step at a time
Attached Images

Still plugging away.

Build thread:
Old 05-05-2018, 08:33 PM   #8
Knight72

Did some rust removal today on the frame and removed the brake and fuel lines. My wife even wanted to jump in today and help. Still have to remove the subframe and rear end, and hit the inside of the frame. Probably will take a few weekends to get it cleaned up properly.
Attached Images

Still plugging away.

Build thread:
Old 05-17-2018, 01:36 PM   #9
Knight72

Not much done over the last week. Busy at work and at home. I did make time to run the emergency brake assembly and the clutch/brake assembly through the electrolysis tank. Awesome stuff. Those are all gussied up and curing until cab re-assembly.
Attached Images

Still plugging away.

Build thread:
Old 05-17-2018, 06:19 PM   #10
68Gold/white

What are possible negative points about moving gas tank out of cab?

Not trying to be a Beavis here, just wondering...
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 07:17 PM   #11
Knight72

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Gold/white View Post

Is this what you are referring to?
"Scouring the forum and reading today made me change my mind on moving the gas tank from the cab"

Definitely no negatives to moving it, other than losing the spare tire space, and cost. What I decided was that there aren't as many negatives to leaving it where it's at, as I initially thought. Sloshing and fumes can be reduced and solved. And I don't need the storage behind the seat.

Still plugging away.

Build thread:
Old 05-17-2018, 08:46 PM   #12
hotwls13

Quote:

It’s kind of pain in the you know what. The so called “kits” from places like LMC truck are really about half a kit. They have no provisions for dealing with the bed crossmember that is in the way of the top of the tank. They also provide zero solutions to getting the fuel to the tank. You have to piece together something yourself. And then good luck dealing with the odd filler size of 1 3/8” on the “blazer tanks”. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a decent “upgrade” and I’ll be happy with my rear tank when it’s done. Just some things to think about when looking at the swap like it’s just a bolt in easy peasy thing.

If I was to do it again, I would either go with a nicer tank, or a tank with the filler going straight up into bed, or relocate and resize the filler on a new blazer tank.
hotwls13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 02:47 PM   #13
68Gold/white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight72 View Post
Is this what you are referring to?
"Scouring the forum and reading today made me change my mind on moving the gas tank from the cab"

Definitely no negatives to moving it, other than losing the spare tire space, and cost. What I decided was that there aren't as many negatives to leaving it where it's at, as I initially thought. Sloshing and fumes can be reduced and solved. And I don't need the storage behind the seat.
I was just wondering what your thoughts were. I have a 67 C10, LWB I will be in "economy" spending mode to get it back on the road for a while. I will be leaving tank in cab for a while, also. Costs of new rear tank and fuel system are why I'll leave tank in cab for a year or two. I will be thrilled just to have mine on the street. I plan to upgrade it while still driving it, over time periods of a weekend or week. Tearing something apart and having it not run for YEARS is not a good thing.....

Thanks
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 02:59 PM   #14
Knight72

Quote:
I was just wondering what your thoughts were. I have a 67 C10, LWB I will be in "economy" spending mode to get it back on the road for a while. I will be leaving tank in cab for a while, also. Costs of new rear tank and fuel system are why I'll leave tank in cab for a year or two. I will be thrilled just to have mine on the street. I plan to upgrade it while still driving it, over time periods of a weekend or week. Tearing something apart and having it not run for YEARS is not a good thing.....

Thanks
No worries, man. I was really leaning to going all out initially, but I'm being very flexible to try and save a few bucks here and there, while not cutting corners. Reading the forum every day is giving me a lot of perspective and insight into the c10 platform, and I'm being swayed by different info and gaining clarity on where I want my build to go. I'm trying to incorporate as much of the original truck and gm design as possible due to it being almost 100% original when I purchased. Everybody has their own personal way to do things. I like to tinker and repair. It's a lot of fun to me, so I don't mind the blown apart and not driving for a couple years. Different strokes and all that. I am looking forward to hoping in and cruising one day though. I appreciate the questions and replies too, helps keep me on task and gives another perspective on things I'm doing as well.

Still plugging away.

Build thread:
Old 01-01-2019, 01:28 PM   #15
Knight72

Been slowly chipping at it in my spare time which hasn't been often between a 3hr round trip to work, full time college, a toddler about to turn two, and another one due in June. I have been picking up parts and working towards getting Rhonda running. I've really only gotten the frame painted. About to begin sanding the bed and cab in 1 square foot sections in my spare time until they are both clean metal. I've got my sheet steel for patches and will start templates and cutting soon. I picked up new cab bushings, new radiator support, and door hinge repair kits. I also picked up a pretty clean 454 Gen IV engine and a th400 transmission. The game plan is to send it off the the machine shop and get the block cleaned and honed and have the crank and rods checked for eccentricity in late January/mid February, even though it looked pretty clean. Brake lines are going back on and power conversion is being added. Then new big block frame mounts, transmission crossmember. Cab back on to begin lining up body panels and working on the driver side rocker. Need to find a good passenger fender in the next 6 months to do the passenger rockers.
Attached Images

Still plugging away.

Build thread:
Old 01-01-2019, 01:34 PM   #16
Knight72

More engine pictures from the disassembly.
Attached Images

Still plugging away.

Build thread:
Old 01-01-2019, 03:35 PM   #17
72 tigger

Good progress, considering your situation!
72 tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 11:12 PM   #18
Knight72

It has been a minute since the last post of mine. A move across statae and a new baby have definitely slowed progress a bit. But I have been slowly accumulating parts and started cancer removal today. I removed all of the inner cowl panel minus the lip in the wire channel. Surprisingly not as bad as I thought. I've got some work ahead but nothing that appears too far above my pay grade. I'm just going to go slow and be patient about repairing the rust and welding in the new inner cowl. Also ordered some new parts yesterday. A couple big ticket items like radiator, steering column, gauge cluster, and an AAW wiring harness. Next 6-7 months will be elbow grease and welding.
Attached Images

Still plugging away.

Build thread:
Old 02-02-2020, 10:22 AM   #19
Andyking1203

Replaceing the inner cowl ain't that hard.. just take your time and make sure its lined up correctly.. looks like a really good start!!!
Andyking1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 09:37 PM   #20
Eddie70

Looking good. I am wanting to buy one of these trucks to have as a project. I just want a driver but I am sure there is going to be work similar to what you are doing with whatever I buy. Keep up the good work and I'll enjoy watching your progress.

By the way, I grew up in LA, about 10 miles from GA and 10 miles from FL. Little town called Ashford. I saw where you said mild winters and no salt, that put me in mind of that area.
Eddie70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 10:35 PM   #21
Knight72

It has been a little bit since update, I have been busy plugging away through the kung flu plauge of 2020. I have replaced the inner rocker, lower A-pillar post, and outer rocker on the driver side. Cab support, inner rocker on the passenger side. I'm still working on the lower A-piller and the outer rocker for the passenger side. 2/4 drop installed spindles and springs, adjustable track bar, new trailing arm bushings, new shocks, c-notch welded in, new front wheel bearing and rotors. Also knocked out the gas tank relocation. I've gotten the bed apart and will be patching the bed floor soon. Antisquat drop member installed, and a pretty slick transmission crossmember. Also ordered pretty much the entire interior and new bumpers. More work to do.
Attached Images

Still plugging away.

Build thread:
Old 05-04-2020, 10:38 PM   #22
Knight72

More pictures
Attached Images

Still plugging away.

Build thread:
Old 03-19-2022, 09:50 AM   #23
Knight72

Still building the old girl. Life keeps getting in the way. Not too much done since the last update. Getting ready to take a couple weeks of PTO from work over the next couple months to cannonball on a few big items. Since the last update I posted I have installed a high hump (for the 454 that ain't going in now), bent and run rear 3/16 stainless steel brake lines. Added new front rubber brake lines, and hardware. Painted the drop spindles, painted the new brake calipers and installed pads. I also welded in the missing floor section on the passenger side. Tacked in the outer rocker after measuring fitment. Still need to do the cab corners and the kick panels. The 454 I had in 2020 ended up getting water in the cylinders from sitting in the pasture during our move. It was pitted beyond belief. So Last October I bought another complete engine. After being promised it was a good running motor, I found worse rust than the previous 454, so that was a bummer. Thanks to those two set backs it has been a little demotivating, but I was planning on tryin to have the 454 machined to see if it could be saved. I gave up on that when I found a screaming deal I couldn't pass up on FB market. I ended up with a Vortec 350 roller block .030 over with 4 relief flat tops. Honed and re-ringed by a machine shop. It came with 70cc edelbrock aluminum heads, roller rockers, roller lifters, ARP head bolts, and about 1.5x complete motors worth of parts for $1500. Guy was older and injured and was cleaning out the shop. So in the near future the plan is to rebuild my TH400. Check torque specs on the engine bolts and hear her run soon. Cab corners and sheet metal will be worked on on my next PTO week. Door hinge rebuild and running the AAW kit.
Attached Images

Still plugging away.

Build thread:
Old 04-08-2022, 01:11 PM   #24
Knight72

Little bit of work done. Got all my parts sorted. Cam shaft on order should be here the week of 4/18. Starter the TH400 teardown. Next big projects are TH400 build, Engine button up, and last bits of metal work. 9 days off week after next and I plan to hustle through some of these big projects. Once these are done it will be time to start the road to reassembly and wiring. AAW kit is in the closet and is ready to go.
Attached Images

Still plugging away.

Build thread:
Old 04-11-2022, 12:21 PM   #25
LT7A

Cool truck. Great work and great progress. You might have run across this already, but the part that you thought was bent on your frame, at least the picture I understood you to mean, is a flare that's there from the factory. Pretty common to mistake that for a bend that's not supposed to be there though. I will say I am less familiar with this generation of trucks than the squarebodies, but they have it too.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote