The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-01-2015, 09:43 PM   #1
ckcp

Project Old fishing truck

So i went and bought another truck as if i needed more on my plate of things to do. My plane is to take this old fishing truck in 3 months time from what it is to a head turning custom on a reasonable budget all while still working a full time job and still being a dad and husband. I want to bag and body it and go from lwb to swb and speed up the age process on the paint and give it more patina. I also plan to put this truck up for sale when i am done so someone else can enjoy the custom bagged truck seen. That's the plan anyway.

ckcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 01:34 PM   #2
Mac93

Re: Project Old fishing truck

Remember, don't sacrifice family time for "truck" time. Our projects have a way of consuming us. Whats the reason for the short time frame you have set?? Keep us updated with your progress, CKCP!
Mac93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:20 PM   #3
ckcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac93 View Post
Remember, don't sacrifice family time for "truck" time. Our projects have a way of consuming us. Whats the reason for the short time frame you have set?? Keep us updated with your progress, CKCP!
yes i am keeping that in mind after my last build racking up 7000 hours over an 8 year span i know how they can take all you time from you. As for the time frame its more of a challenge for me just to see if i can do it with the life i live and it also falls at kind of the right time i think as i do want to put this truck up for sale when i am done it will be tax return time and spring time just in time to buy a summer time toy. its kind of a time is money thing and the sooner i get it done the better off i am and if i don't sell it right away i have another cool truck to drive.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:10 PM   #4
ckcp

A small amount of progress was made i have about 3 hours in tare down so far and 3 hours in pressure washing 40+ years of dirt oil and grease off. i also got the massive 8 inches cut off the back of the frame.

I can stack them 2 deep in this garage

Old 01-22-2015, 10:29 PM   #5
ckcp

I made a little more progress on the truck have not had as much time to put into it as i would have liked to so far but i did manage to get the front clip off the motor pulled and 90% of the grease and dirt build up cleaned off and i also found a sweet surprise under it all. "Factory" hand cut power steering brackets they are by far my favorite find so far on this build.

its even lined up with the pulleys real nice

Old 01-23-2015, 12:15 AM   #6
low&slow
Account Suspended

I'll follow in on this one as well.
low&slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:18 AM   #7
gdavis

a lot of work for three months. I been on mine for three years and still not done.

Cars I owned in the past.
1962 chev II Nova - 1965 Chevelle SS - (2)1966 Chevelle SS 1965 chev C10 57 belair chev
1967 Chevelle SS - 1969 Chevelle SS - 1972 Chevelle SS

1967 Buick electra 225 1995 Harley Davidson bager

What does not kill you will make you stronger

1968 c10 short wheel base stepper
gdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:51 AM   #8
ckcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by low&slow View Post
I'll follow in on this one as well.
thanks its nice to know i have people interested in what i do even though this will be nothing like the last truck on the radical scale side of things. i have thought about transferring over all my pics for my other build so its not just a random small build of a paint job if i get time in the future
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdavis View Post
a lot of work for three months. I been on mine for three years and still not done.
i know your feeling my other truck took 8 years and it too has things i still would like to do i just felt i needed a brake from that one. the 3 month goal is more of a challenge for myself to see just what i can do in that time frame and keep my costs and time at a reasonable amount so when i do put it up for sale i don't need an astronomical amount to justify selling it. i am hoping to make some extra money doing this truck to put towards some of my other stuff. i do not plan to get rich by any stretch of the imagination but i thought i would give it a shot and see what happens. worst case scenario i have two cool trucks
Old 01-24-2015, 07:12 PM   #9
low&slow
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckcp View Post
thanks its nice to know i have people interested in what i do even though this will be nothing like the last truck on the radical scale side of things. i have thought about transferring over all my pics for my other build so its not just a random small build of a paint job if i get time in the future
I think it would be sweet to see more pics of your other build. As for this build, I'm interested to see how you build it to not be radical. Shows more of what you're capable of doing.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:14 PM   #10
low&slow
Account Suspended

Where about out here in Idaho did you get the truck from? Looks pretty solid
Old 01-24-2015, 08:43 PM   #11
ckcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by low&slow View Post
Where about out here in Idaho did you get the truck from? Looks pretty solid
the truck came from Pocatello the old man i got it from was the second owner he bought the truck in 81 from a friend of his i was told and said he only used the truck in the summer to haul his fishing boat to the lake.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:17 AM   #12
ckcp

made some progress on the truck and also helped a friend lower his truck down as low as he could till he saves up for bags

its flipped in the rear with drop hangers and drop shackles and the front is drop spindles with cut springs

I have been using the cheery picker to its utmost potential

also got the frame cut and stacked the rear on top i still have lots to do with that part of it box plat and make look nice but it helped to shorten it a foot and raise the rear 6 inches the front i cut and re angled the uca ball joints and cut some off of the cross member

I am not one to really post much on "oh look what i got" but i got this it was free
Old 02-21-2015, 11:33 AM   #13
ckcp

ok so far what i have done is raise the cross member 2.5 inches and forward 1 inch rack and pinion steering cut out the spring pockets on the cross member re angled the upper ball joints made room for the rack to clear dropped the front frame horns and cab mounts down 1 inch cut the bed section and moved it forward 1 foot and stacked it on top of the other half of the frame and platted both sides also cut off the bottom rolled out edge if the frame and also moved the rear end back 1 inch after dropping it and also doing a 3 inch pipe notch. doing all this i have my front and rear wheels centered in the wheel wells and am able to have the body on the ground while keeping as much of the floor depth as i can and also keeping it flat.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:00 AM   #14
ckcp

here is some more pictures of the rack mounts

and some of other stuff i got started on

Old 02-23-2015, 12:59 PM   #15
cooperhw

Cool.

I am subscribed. I have seen many of these types of lowering jobs on the HAMB forum where guys just use what the got, or can get, cheap.
Subscribed.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:31 AM   #16
ckcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhw View Post
Cool.

I am subscribed. I have seen many of these types of lowering jobs on the HAMB forum where guys just use what the got, or can get, cheap.
Subscribed.
Thanks and I know high dollar builds have there place and are awesome but I love to be creative innovative and let's face it I can't afford alot of the stuff I see a lot of guys on here buying for there truck so I do with wat I can ant still try and make it as nice as I can in the time frame I gave my self which at the moment have not got in as much time or am as far along as I want to be but sometimes that's how it goes
Old 02-24-2015, 11:33 AM   #17
rusty76

I'm in.!
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
rusty76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 12:42 PM   #18
cooperhw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckcp View Post
Thanks and I know high dollar builds have there place and are awesome but I love to be creative innovative and let's face it I can't afford alot of the stuff I see a lot of guys on here buying for there truck so I do with wat I can ant still try and make it as nice as I can in the time frame I gave my self which at the moment have not got in as much time or am as far along as I want to be but sometimes that's how it goes
You are welcome. I know "EXACTLY" how you feel on the high dollar builds and all the really cool stuff. I am in the same boat. I am also trying to build as cool a truck as I can "without" the latest and greatest. Not saying anything against them (they're awesome) but exactly opposite of what I am wanting for my truck right now.
keep up the good work,
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 01:49 PM   #19
ckcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty76 View Post
I'm in.!
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhw View Post
You are welcome. I know "EXACTLY" how you feel on the high dollar builds and all the really cool stuff. I am in the same boat. I am also trying to build as cool a truck as I can "without" the latest and greatest. Not saying anything against them (they're awesome) but exactly opposite of what I am wanting for my truck right now.
keep up the good work,
Thanks
Old 02-24-2015, 08:31 PM   #20
tcoop68
tcoop68

Thats a cool fishing rig you got there glade your freshening it up to keep on living.
tcoop68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 12:02 PM   #21
ckcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcoop68 View Post
Thats a cool fishing rig you got there glade your freshening it up to keep on living.
thanks
Old 03-05-2015, 10:08 PM   #22
ckcp

made some more good progress. The balancer clears the rack by about a half an inch i also got more of it all welded up. the motor mounts are raised up and also the trans cross member is raised and made new mounts for it also started mocking up the exhaust and started building the rear link setup

Old 03-09-2015, 08:20 PM   #23
ckcp

some small progress was made with the rear 2 link

Old 03-11-2015, 07:57 PM   #24
ckcp

made some rear bag mounts

Old 03-21-2015, 08:37 PM   #25
ckcp

the truck is on hold for a bit and will not make my 3 month deadline but its ok i have a customers bug and it is getting the top chopped on it its a 5.25 inch chop in the front with back glass laid down for a nice flow it is going to be a volksrod