The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-16-2018, 08:06 AM   #1
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Helper bags

Seems like a good way to go if you only occasionally run a bit heavier load on a half ton, maybe even on a 20 series truck.

What do you look for when searching for helper bags? Do you use a built in pump system like the frame dragging peeps, or do you use your home air to pump em up when you know it's gonna be extra work day for your truck?
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:46 AM   #2
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: Helper bags

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Seems like a good way to go if you only occasionally run a bit heavier load on a half ton, maybe even on a 20 series truck.

What do you look for when searching for helper bags? Do you use a built in pump system like the frame dragging peeps, or do you use your home air to pump em up when you know it's gonna be extra work day for your truck?

I have them in all 4 springs. Help's the handling and the loads.

I have the rear ones on a compressor only no tank.

Fronts have Schrader valve in front. They hardly ever need more air. I run 15/20PSI in them all the time.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:28 PM   #3
ibflyin

Re: Helper bags

I have them on my ‘07 Dodge dually and help a lot when pulling the 5th wheel for ride and stability. It’s an AirLift system w/small compressor. I installed a set (I think it was a kit from Bell Tech?) on the lowered ‘90 ext cab I formerly owned so I could pull my tandem axle car trailer without the fenders cutting my rear tires. It was plumbed w/fitting inside gas filler door (no compressor). I bought a pair of air bags and will fab mounts to install on my ‘68 GMC C15 when I do the 4-6 drop on it. I’ll install a compressor on that setup.
1939 Ford Tudor Deluxe
1951 Cadillac Coupe DeVille
1971 Avion T28
ibflyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:44 PM   #4
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post

That's exactly why I would get them - specifically to help keep a half ton from sagging with the occasional heavy load (and probably the only reason I would get them). 3/4 don't need them as much. I'd only pump em up with an external pump personally, at home or at a gas station, usually a single fill located in a hole you drill in the bumper or someplace convenient. I personally don't think the expense of an onboard pump is justified if this alone is the only reason for having it, especially if you'll only be airing it up occasionally for the rare heavy load. Firestone used to make a nice set, or perhaps they were just the bladder manufacturer, not sure which. Anyway, they are indeed helpful in keeping your rear level when heavy.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:04 PM   #5
Boog
laying low

I've been giving thought to adding some helper bags to my 1/2 ton crew cab I pull our 5th wheel with. I think I would trust a name brand like Firestone or Air Lift for example.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:23 PM   #6
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Helper bags

The compressor is nice having to fill the system when ever I need it. They say not to run them totally empty so I can put air in anytime I want out back. These helper bags really help with handling to. They want tell you that but mine handle great and the ride is fantastic. I'd rather drive the 71 than my 08 Tahoe!
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:06 PM   #7
Just Yourshadow

Andy, is the air lift kit 60811 that you've got mentioned in your signature for the front or the rear? And if you have the info available what is air lift kit number for the other axle

76 Kawasaki KZ900 - One Day I'll fix it
06 Street Bob - Soon to be Sold
Just Yourshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 01:09 AM   #8
cornerstone

I used them on my 05 1500 silverado shorty. It had the Hotchkiss TVS system and handled like it was on rails. I needed to tow a large skidsteer every now and then very short distances, and had to have the helper bags. I just used a schrader valve and aired them up when needed. They were a great way to increase the load capacity. I highly recommend them. Man I wish I never sold that truck.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:31 AM   #9
Andy4639
Old member

Wink Re: Helper bags

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Yourshadow View Post
Andy, is the air lift kit 60811 that you've got mentioned in your signature for the front or the rear? And if you have the info available what is air lift kit number for the other axle
That was for the back. The fronts I measured the springs inside diameter and height. looked on line and found the right ones. Sorry don't remember the number right off.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 07-17-2018, 01:54 PM   #10
special-K
Special Order

I had a '70 C/10 I used for work, had a Reading steel topper, carried tools and ladders. I installed 3/4t coils with Air Lifts inside coil bags. I just had a filler in the step bumper, kept 90# all the time, so only needed to check/fill pressure

On my '67 SWB with a 4/6 drop I plan to use bags in place of the rear coils. I want to carry, tow, don't want to c-notch, and was on the fence about going to 4" springs to give it a rake or run it more level with the 6s. This way I can have both. I might put a compressor & controls on that. Doesn't go with the era vibe but makes a lot of sense.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is online now   Reply With Quote