The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-01-2013, 05:34 PM   #1
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

Firebird/Gila River Track Conditions?

With the upcoming Nostalgia Show n Go and many vintage trucks usually in attendance, etc., do any of the Arizona guys know how Charlie left the track? Is the track surface torn and gouged up? Was this past weekend's event as destructive as some anticipated?
Tubular front and rear suspension
Custom 6-piston front disc and 4-piston rear disc brakes
vin63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:40 PM   #2
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Re: Firebird/Gila River Track Conditions?

I'm ashamed to say... I was there but out in the early rounds. I stayed until the trucks were done. Robosorus tore down a power pole and put out the lights on the track, the big truck show went on in the dark. The trucks show always gouges the track, they used to do it before a refinishing project. But exactly what damage he left. I havn't seen or heard yet.

I heard the burning cars were dropped OFF THE TRACK not ON. So that's one glimmer of hope. Rumor was Charlie was pissed that the tribe wouldn't buy the safety equipment and timing system, and he was going to do as much damage as possible. For once I can say he surprised me, BUT I haven't seen the track since the dark event.

As usual tho he did put the finals of Az grudge and National Dragster challange cars out 'in front of the croud' on a jet-fuel coated track. Darren Dozal went into the wall HARD around 200'. Safety of the recers was never much of a concern,,, I didn't expect anything new out of them for this fiasco.

CHEERS to ANY managment that takes over. It's bound to be an improvement.

If I hear any verified news, I'll let you know Vince.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:43 AM   #3
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
I'm ashamed to say... I was there but out in the early rounds. I stayed until the trucks were done. Robosorus tore down a power pole and put out the lights on the track, the big truck show went on in the dark. The trucks show always gouges the track, they used to do it before a refinishing project. But exactly what damage he left. I havn't seen or heard yet.

I heard the burning cars were dropped OFF THE TRACK not ON. So that's one glimmer of hope. Rumor was Charlie was pissed that the tribe wouldn't buy the safety equipment and timing system, and he was going to do as much damage as possible. For once I can say he surprised me, BUT I haven't seen the track since the dark event.

As usual tho he did put the finals of Az grudge and National Dragster challange cars out 'in front of the croud' on a jet-fuel coated track. Darren Dozal went into the wall HARD around 200'. Safety of the recers was never much of a concern,,, I didn't expect anything new out of them for this fiasco.

CHEERS to ANY managment that takes over. It's bound to be an improvement.

If I hear any verified news, I'll let you know Vince.
Thanks, Marv! I really appreciate the update! The event organizer for the upcoming Nostalgic Show n Go and Pontiac event is supposed to meet with the new management at the track in the next couple of weeks - but, he's really not a racer and seemed put off that a few of us asked if he could check on the track conditions. Hopefully, there is a plan to have the track ready for the first of May. I still haven't made my hotel reservations...
Old 04-11-2013, 12:02 PM   #4
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

Not looking good...

http://www.arizonaautoscene.com/archives/20970
Old 06-24-2013, 01:47 PM   #5
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Here's the latest and 'official' word from the new track managment.

Quote:
Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:40 AM

Firebird International Raceway is now officially Wild Horse Motorsports Park, and the track’s new management group has a signed agreement with the Gila River Indian Community and the NHRA to continue the Arizona Nationals for at least five years.

The status of both the Chandler-area facility and its premier race had been unclear since the Gila River Indian Community didn’t renew former track President Charlie Allen’s 30-year lease.

But azcentral sports has confirmed the new name and return of the NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series national event that began in 1985. NHRA’s date hasn’t been finalized but likely will remain in its traditional late-February position.

A formal announcement is expected Friday.

The 458-acre property, which includes the drag strip, lake, off-road track and two road courses, will reopen Sept. 13-15 with the Lucas Oil Drag Boat Series.

There’s a major difference in how Wild Horse will be operated. While Allen paid a fee to lease the facility, tribal entity Sun Valley Marina Corp. has hired Copper Train Development Partners LLC to manage the tracks on its behalf. Ultimately, that means the Gila River Indian Community has a greater financial incentive to invest in improvements for both competitors and fans, and make the races more popular and successful.

Copper Train’s management contract runs into 2019. Managing partner Paul Clayton has several businesses in California, including aviation services, a luxury motorcoach RV resort and The Thermal Club, a private motorsports country club where members store and drive their own high-performance vehicles.

Clayton, who is relocating his wife and two young daughters to the Valley from Palm Desert, Calif., has no previous racing events experience. He’s hired former Daytona International Speedway operations Vice President Dick Hahne as Wild Horse’s president.

The deal doesn’t affect the Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving, which operates under a separate agreement. Bondurant CEO Darren Law, a Phoenix resident and 2009 Rolex 24 at Daytona sports car winner, consulted with Clayton on Thermal Club and first contacted Clayton about the Wild Horse opportunity 18 months ago.

“This project needed management and some leadership and creativity,” Clayton told azcentral sports earlier this week in an exclusive interview. “I'm the first to admit Dick has the motorsports experience, but when it comes to putting teams together and finding the right people for the job, I'm pretty good at that.

“Our job is to come in and create relationships with the community, sponsorships and all sorts of events. We want families to be able to enjoy the facility, with clean bathrooms, and improve the overall fan experience.”

The drag strip needs a new timing and scoring system and possible replacement of about 700 grandstand seats Allen dismantled, according to Hahne.

Other confirmed events this year include vintage car road racing Oct. 11-13 and the drag boat world finals Oct. 31-Nov. 3. Hahne said 36 weekends already are booked for 2014.

NHRA President Tom Compton said negotiating a return to the Valley venue was his “Number 1” priority.

“If we weren't in Phoenix it would be a disaster,” Compton said during a telephone interview. “It's the sixth-largest market in the country and it is diverse. NHRA has an element of diversity (female and minority drivers) that is unmatched by any other motorsport in the country that I'm aware of. It reflects our fan base very well.”

Compton, who described Clayton as “an impressive guy with a lot of energy,” said another positive is the new arrangement allows NHRA to have a more direct relationship with the Gila River Indian Community.

“It's no disrespect to Charlie,” Compton said. “He did what he could with what he had and did a great job. Now I think there’s a tremendous opportunity to take Wild Horse to a new level.”

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote