The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-24-2014, 08:08 AM   #1
andsonsvd

First try doing Bodywork!

Got my truck back today from the soda blasters and it wasn't much different besides been undercoated as when it when because the body had been done once before but never undercoated so it had bad surface rust.

I am a little concerned by the roof and the rear outer cab wall as they are both quiet badly dented both inwards and outwards, the rear section has also become very loose.

I am open to any hints and tips but I look forward to the challenge.

Thanks Shane
Attached Images

1937 Chev Rod - LS1/4L60E
1949 Chevy 4400 Dually - 235ci/4L60E
1958 Chevy Apache Fleetside SBC/T400
andsonsvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:13 PM   #2
alaska gasser

Re: First try doing Bodywork!

You have a couple of options with the back of the cab, find a new donor and graft it in or fix it. Fortunately the panel below the body line is single wall so you can hammer and dolly that area to get the dents out.

It's hard to tell for sure from the pictures, but it looks like the body line below the back window is pushed in along with the obvious dents. You will need to secure the cab, preferably back on the frame and then place a length of 2x4 on the joint where the upper and lower sections of the cab come together. Take a 5lb hammer and start driving it back out. Don't hit it too hard and make the problem worse. Just take it slow and easy and keep checking everything.

How do your doors fit?

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=592769 My daughter's '46 International PU

Last edited by alaska gasser; 01-24-2014 at 02:19 PM.
alaska gasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:26 PM   #3
papastrk

I don't mean to discourage you, but that is a large area that is going to be difficult for even an experienced bodyman to repair without using excess filler. I would look at a replacement rear panel and maybe repair roof area.
papastrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:54 PM   #4
OrrieG

Most of the area under the window will be concealed by the bed. It looks like you will need a shrinking disc too. Start at the bottom where it will not be so visible and work your way up as you get more skilled. Find some videos on youtube that show basic hammer and dolly work and shrinking. Like alaska said, get it on the frame to square it up and make sure the doors are close before moving too much metal. Also take care with the back window opening to make sure you do not move it out of alignment. The back of mine looked like that from years of use as a working truck with lots of rocks, bricks and fire wood bounced off the back cab and roof. Took lots of time but ended up with just a light skim coat of mud.

And if for some reason it turns out the metal is too thin, has lost its temper, or ?? you can get a replacement piece and will have gained the experience. Also, buy good tools not the cheap harbor freight ones. Good body tools are a dream to use, well balanced quality materials. Bad will cause more problems than cures. I bought a couple of good hammers in 1972 and they are still like new, over the years I picked up dollies, etc at estate and yard sales from old timers that had retired.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:01 PM   #5
andsonsvd

Thanks guys.

The issue is that replacement parts are not available in Australia. Nor are doner parts.

The cost to get a roof and rear section are about $800 to ship to australia plus the cost of the parts. Hence why I would like to try and fix.

the reason I bought this truck is to use as a learning tool. It is just going to be a neat driver not a show car so I want to try before I buy (Replacement Panels).

I have ordered a handful of new tools from a guy here in australia that is known for selling great panel tools.

I have a altman easy latch kit so from what I am reading you guys think I should rebuild the hinges and fit this before starting any bodywork?

I have ordered a shrinking disc. I Assume I have to remove the primer before doing this?

Thanks as always I really appreciate your feedback.

Shane

1937 Chev Rod - LS1/4L60E
1949 Chevy 4400 Dually - 235ci/4L60E
1958 Chevy Apache Fleetside SBC/T400
andsonsvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:21 PM   #6
BMERDOC

You've got a little work ahead of you. You may wanna consider asking the Mods to move this to the Paint & Body section. Some one like Hugger or MP&C might be able to help more. Not taking anything away from the guys who have already replied. Look around the forum and check out some of the bodywork some of these guys are doing. DeWayne from Nsane Hot Rods does killer work. Nuke1 (?) has some great threads on grinding and tools. MP&C also has some good threads on different repairs.
2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote