The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-18-2009, 08:12 PM   #201
Reinovator

Re: Welders!

Try about 7 to 15 psi, if a lot air movement in your welding may be 18 psi but you use a lot more gas.
Others may have a different opinion.
This works well for me.
Try it and see for yourself what works best.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:40 PM   #202
DURRTY
USMC

20-25 but regulators are different, some measure flow rather than psi output but...
if you don't have enough gas coverage your weld will have porosity(pin holes, probably a bunch of them.
you can go by the hissing sound of the gas coming out of the nozzle too, start low and get it to a point were your weld is good and maybe turn it up just a hair from there. too much gas and it will blow your puddle around and acually cool the weld faster than it should, also welding out of position is tough with too much gas... AND the type of gas you are using is a factor too..

Last edited by DURRTY; 08-18-2009 at 09:45 PM.
DURRTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 07:12 PM   #203
Ben IV

regularors hav a guage or flow meeter that read cfh cubic feet per hour, Ive allways found 30cfh works great too much gas and it can actually flow out too fast and suck in air behind it in a corner. At home ive got a millermatic 172 and love it. at work we run lincon powermig 250's great machines run 50 hrs a week no prob a bit much for restoring a truck but good for chassis work.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:59 PM   #204
Reinovator

Great advise about the flow meter. although, not all systems are alike.
Definately look for a system with a flow meter.
Not all come with one.
The last three systems I've bought Did Not have one, but that's over a 30 year period and they are a lot more common with one now days, the last 8 years.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:26 PM   #205
Ben IV

I prefer a flow meter but a guage works just fine. When doing alot of welding in a cold enviorment the ball in the flow meter can actually freeze up not that thats a problem for a guy in his garage. but ive had it happen.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:26 PM   #206
shifty
Questionable

Holy crap. I can't believe I never followed up on this after posting on Page 2!!!

I ended up beating the hell out of eBay and scoring the same $599 Lincoln Weld-Pak 175 sold at Home Depot (new in the box), only I got it for $450 (25% off!) and shipping.

After all of the supplies like gas, gloves, helmet, extension cord, cart and stuff, it set me back around $650 total. Not bad!

I wouldn't say I've used the hell out of it, but it has worked flawlessly, had superior instructions, and everyone knows this welder so I have no shortage of advice and support from total strangers, which has been amazing.

Plus, I have the Lincoln name to back me up, everyone knows and works on this unit.

I will say one other thing - I got a new 40a "Cut40d" Everlast plasma cutter on eBay for around $275, if I remember right. Let me tell you .... it has yet to fail me now, and has cut through all of the things I needed for notching my frame and removing tons of stuff around the garage, breaking it down, etc. It has paid for itself and then some in time, and I don't care about the fact that it doesn't use standard consumables (or I don't think it does??) Also, my Everlast came with like a 5yr warranty, and their support has been mostly responsive, and when they weren't, they offered free stuff to make up for it.

Bottom line:

I am happy I bought Lincoln, I know it will last a lifetime. However, I realize that not everyone that reads this thread is going to be welding as a career (i.e. you're a hobby welder) so something that costs half as much might actually work for you.

The reality is, some of you will get by having a non-name brand versus a name brand. The big thing I think you should focus on are this:

- Warranty
- Customer service
- Is it 110v or 220v?
- Do I need new electrical outlets?
- Do I need extras? (gas, cart, wire, etc.)
- How much will my extras cost?

This should get you on a good path to start up.

I still don't know how to weld worth a damn, and can't run a "good" bead for ****. But I can share my experience, as a "hobby" welder and plasma cutter. Also, you can find deals. Just be patient. Took me 3 months to find mine.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 11:40 PM   #207
POPO1984

What do you guys think of this welder i will have to convert it to gas but its only 300.00. I believe that i have heard Clarke was good its a 160 http://cgi.ebay.com/CLARKE-160EN-MIG...item27ac740326
POPO1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:47 PM   #208
Reinovator

If it's A 'Clarke' and not a name thief or a knock off it should be a good welder check for reviews on line. some times over sea's manufactures will put a well known name on a given product to increase sales. even well known manufactures will lease out their name if there strapped for cash. but the Name Clarke that I'm familiar with is a equipment manufacture like fork lifts, front end loaders. etc.
This does not mean that this is a bad welder. it has a great looking case.
Check around find out it's duty cycle etc.
if it's just a part time weekend welder you should be Ok.
but check around be fore buying. The gas kit may put you into the same price range as a Lincoln, or Miller. 120 v which are Great machines.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:55 PM   #209
POPO1984

I think im about to score a lincoln 180 for 475 shipped to my door
Old 10-27-2009, 10:27 AM   #210
Reinovator

Lincoln 180 This welder would make me happy,
my Matco is getting old and of course Matco can't remember how to get a parts list for it.
Lincoln I prefer for it's over all performance but as soon as I finish wrighting this some one will say Miller.

Last edited by Reinovator; 10-27-2009 at 10:27 AM.
Reinovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:32 AM   #211
POPO1984

Well good news i scored the lincoln 180 for 475.00 to my door. i cant wait to get it. The electricion is on the way to install a 220amp socket
Old 10-27-2009, 01:50 PM   #212
Reinovator

Sweet SCORE You will defiantly enjoy it!!!
Old 11-30-2009, 03:45 PM   #213
i90wrench

Has anyone used this machine? Looks like a handy unit. http://cgi.ebay.com/GIANTTECH-3-in-1...ZViewItemQQptZ
i90wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:55 PM   #214
Reinovator

This looks like reasonable unit for a part timer, but check with a welders supply shop and see if they have had any in for repair. Looks can be deceiving but the way electronics are evolving this could be a fair unit.
Don't take my word for it research it. I have a Cebora pocket plasma cutter I can't find parts for, or a wiring diagram, this is one of the draw backs of NOT buying brand Names like Miller, Lincoln, ETC.
Research The manufacture this could be a second line unit.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:09 AM   #215
i90wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinovator View Post
This looks like reasonable unit for a part timer, but check with a welders supply shop and see if they have had any in for repair. Looks can be deceiving but the way electronics are evolving this could be a fair unit.
Don't take my word for it research it. I have a Cebora pocket plasma cutter I can't find parts for, or a wiring diagram, this is one of the draw backs of NOT buying brand Names like Miller, Lincoln, ETC.
Research The manufacture this could be a second line unit.
Yea, looked through ebay feedback and didn't see anyone who bought one b****ing. I've been looking for a nice reasonable plasma, I run a auto repair shop minor welding etc. Mainly wanted for playing at home (lotsa rust repair to do on my 60 and an ugly Dodge shop truck). The way things keep going our good "name brand" stuff getting as bad for service repair/parts as the chinese garbage. (Didn't it used to be Japanese???) Will do some more research and post if/when I buy. The tig has me interested.
i90wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:26 PM   #216
Reinovator

I agree About the Tig Idea I've always wanted to try my hand but never taken the time to learn, and The " Brand name Items" My M@@co Mig Is also one of those ' I'm sorry we don't service that any more brand name welders, 4 years Old. Ok no more M@@co Equipment, I still like the sales guy and most of their hand tools.

Hay keep me posted I'm interested also!!
Old 12-01-2009, 06:43 PM   #217
DURRTY
USMC

Yes, MADE IN THE USA tools and equipment will always serve us the best.

Check out the pawn shops too. On a Miller, Lincoln, and Hobart Machine the wear parts (consumables also like tips and nozzles) are all easily replaced. The welding supply shop will be able to get the parts for you. The internals that make the amps and volts are real tough to break unless it gets dropped or soaking wet.

You can check the serial numbers in person and most likely a build date on the machine so you know how old it is. That wont tell you the hours its been used but at least the age.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:06 PM   #218
Reinovator

Made In USA is Always the best route.
There are some exceptions, but I Prefer American made when ever possible.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:09 PM   #219
Reinovator

buy the way Durrty hows the Mo Mo 500 in the snow going this year!
Old 02-09-2010, 09:07 PM   #220
Str8Ugly

i bought a hobart handler 210 for 799 otd at tractor supply(im tax exempt) didn't think it was too bad of a deal.. and it welds AWSOME.. i love that its a miller with white paint
Str8Ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:32 PM   #221
DURRTY
USMC

Good price on that one.. I paid just over 1100 for my millermatic 210 a couple years ago. I think yours is the same model. Its a good investment..
Old 03-03-2010, 02:46 PM   #222
my90k5
72 K/5 Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by POPO1984 View Post
I think im about to score a lincoln 180 for 475 shipped to my door
Great score POPO1984! I just ordered a Lincoln 180C from a local welding supply company. Great little machines!
Old 03-06-2010, 07:56 PM   #223
62 mark

I read somewhere that changing your ground clamp on your mig to a heavy duty one makes a big difference in the welds...well i'm here to say that's definitely true! got a copper clamp with a strong ass spring and the quality of my welds is much better
62 mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 06:55 PM   #224
DURRTY
USMC

If your going that far get a thicker ground cable too. I aquired a 4 00 cable not to long ago, thicker means you can run a longer cable also.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:28 PM   #225
FeNiX

A friend is selling me a millermatic 130 for $300 with regulator and new wire .
is this a good price?
FeNiX is offline   Reply With Quote