The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 07:39 PM   #1
jlaird

getting truck off stands

This may sound weird, but is there anyway to get a truck off jackstands that is going to come close to laying frame and is not yet plumbed for air. I cant figure it out for the life of me. I have my fittings on order, but I'm being impatient. I want to see this thing on the ground!
Old 05-01-2007, 07:41 PM   #2
cajundragger

Re: getting truck off stands

use an engine hoist...or drop it down on some 2x4's then roll it off. but once your down your down...haha
Old 05-01-2007, 07:57 PM   #3
Shane
Account Suspended

to get it off the jack stands:

stand at rear of truck and push ... stand back and admire lowness
Old 05-01-2007, 09:15 PM   #4
Spray-Bomb
Texas Big Wig

Yeah & you could screw something up by doing that too... Dee D Dee

#1 it depends on how low your truck goes, cuz if you're gonna lay rockers you can't use a floor-jack

I like the idea of the engine hoist, but finding a place to pick it up might prove to be a butt

Killer
Old 05-01-2007, 09:22 PM   #5
MEANGREEN70

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaird View Post
This may sound weird, but is there anyway to get a truck off jackstands that is going to come close to laying frame and is not yet plumbed for air. I cant figure it out for the life of me. I have my fittings on order, but I'm being impatient. I want to see this thing on the ground!

I don't where on the frame you have the stands position, or what kind of jack your using. I usually put my stands right by front body mount on the frame, and I use a low profile jack, so I can put it on the front cross-member and lower it that way. I hope this helps you.
Attached Images

Old 05-01-2007, 09:38 PM   #6
jeffspower
Well, Whoop-dee-do!

Get some valve stems that are the screw- in type (pipe thread). A parts store probably won't have them- but a heavy truck dealer should. If you have seen big trucks running down the road piggybacked, that's where they are used. They put them in each bag so they will stay aired up for transport. If a truck dealer parts dept. doesn't have them, take a walk around the overhead crane typically found outside- the transport guys leave them all over the ground when they undeck trucks

'72 K20 500 Cad/TH400/NP205 SOLD

'92 Chevy 2500 6.5 mech TD 4L80E crusty daily driver

'72 Monte Carlo... sweet low mile toy

'11 Dodge Challenger IE 392 6spd... midlife car
Old 05-01-2007, 10:23 PM   #7
mikeoj

Napa has these,screw in type,1/8npt.They are for air tanks.Got some last week.Mike
Old 05-01-2007, 10:37 PM   #8
jlaird

Thanks guys. Got some ideas that will work. 2x4's under the tires...Genius!!! Knew I wasn't thinking.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:00 PM   #9
cajundragger

haha, just get pics
Old 05-01-2007, 11:44 PM   #10
Shane
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spray-Bomb View Post
Yeah & you could screw something up by doing that too... Dee D Dee
Ya think?
Old 05-02-2007, 12:50 AM   #11
PBFAB.COM

patience grasshopper....................

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!
Old 05-02-2007, 03:53 AM   #12
kevncar

not to hijack, but I've been thinking about where to mount all the components for an air system. I am going for a mild drop, bags and a c-notch without cutting the bed in the rear, and bags, plates and cups in the front, and am going to try and mount the tanks, valves and compressors under the bed on the outsides of the frame.

So what happens when you blow a fitting/bag and the whole thing is on the ground? I guess most likely only one corner would drop, but none the less, what do you guys think?

72 Chevelle

67 C10...454/TH400
Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=193961
Old 05-02-2007, 09:30 AM   #13
pharcydekm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevncar View Post
not to hijack, but I've been thinking about where to mount all the components for an air system. I am going for a mild drop, bags and a c-notch without cutting the bed in the rear, and bags, plates and cups in the front, and am going to try and mount the tanks, valves and compressors under the bed on the outsides of the frame.

So what happens when you blow a fitting/bag and the whole thing is on the ground? I guess most likely only one corner would drop, but none the less, what do you guys think?
YOU CRY!!

I have had three vehicles with air and knock on wood only blown a line once. If you are running DOT line and make sure that the line is secured away from heat or anything sharp that could cut it odds are you should not have a problem. It truly is all in the install!

I have yet to do it but a friend of mine installed ball valves and schrader valves at each of his bags with in 24" of the bag anyway this way if a line, fitting, or valve gives he can isolate that bag and fill it to get down the road. Just an idea for you if you want to be extra cautious.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:55 AM   #14
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Plan for the totally unexpected. Since you say your going with a mild system and don't plan to cut the bed, etc design the system where the truck will still "roll" when aired out. That doesn't mean you can drive it down the freeway, but you can limp along the shoulder.

I have a very well designed system on my 77 Cheyenne. Unfortunately the shop that built it could not predict that a weld would break on the exhaust system causing the hot exhaust gas to be directed at the air line.

The line that blew was the supply line from the tank to the valves so I lost the entire system when I tried to air up to ride height while entering the freeway.

Fortunately the system was designed so I could roll without doing further damage. Design your system assuming that it can fail....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 05-02-2007, 07:32 PM   #15
jlaird

so people who can lay frame are not designing their system with this in mind?
Old 05-03-2007, 01:11 AM   #16
camaro__thunder
Epoxy Primer Friendly

Check valves going to each bag.... [IMG]http://www.*****************/images/products/SMC_1-2_Check_Valve_with_Fittings.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-03-2007, 01:38 AM   #17
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaird View Post
so people who can lay frame are not designing their system with this in mind?
Correct! Laying frame is not the best idea... it can look cool, but isn't safe. I like to set the truck up to where the frame is an inch off the ground when deflated. This way you can still roll if your air system has issues.

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!
Old 05-03-2007, 10:06 AM   #18
jlaird

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterbuilt View Post
Correct! Laying frame is not the best idea... it can look cool, but isn't safe. I like to set the truck up to where the frame is an inch off the ground when deflated. This way you can still roll if your air system has issues.
That is what I have had in mind too. Great minds!!
Old 05-03-2007, 10:27 AM   #19
C10-Driver
Chevy Truck Addict

As N2TRUX mentioned, my system is also designed to run on the bumpstops as a last resort (hopefully I never have to use this option). I also ran all my airlines in an asphalt based heat shield / loom to reduce the chance of melting. I can't remember the name of the product right now but Napa carries it. My 1/4" airlines fit perfectly inside and it will help insulate the plastic airlines from heat.
1970 Pontiac Lemans
Old 05-03-2007, 10:56 AM   #20
project 67 sub
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by C10-Driver View Post
As N2TRUX mentioned, my system is also designed to run on the bumpstops as a last resort (hopefully I never have to use this option). I also ran all my airlines in an asphalt based heat shield / loom to reduce the chance of melting. I can't remember the name of the product right now but Napa carries it. My 1/4" airlines fit perfectly inside and it will help insulate the plastic airlines from heat.
Cant you just make some copper or steel lines and run those? If so than that would just about cure your chance of an airline blowing out or melting on you.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:04 PM   #21
Chops_by_Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by project 67 sub View Post
Cant you just make some copper or steel lines and run those? If so than that would just about cure your chance of an airline blowing out or melting on you.
you would need to run a seamless stainless line. this prevents corrosion and can withstand high psi... this does reduce the risk of melting or haveing a blow out, but in my experience when you hardline a system it is much harder to have a leak-free system. also if you do punture or smash or destroy a hardline in any way while you are out on the road it is hard to "patch" it to get moving again. with nylon line, you can cut and splice pretty quickly to get going again. ups and downs to both
Old 05-03-2007, 10:12 PM   #22
cajundragger

if you truck lays frame and is built to lay frame...IE has skid plates or drag plates...and you blow a bag or line just plan to drag it till you can fix it. If it is meant to lay it shouldnt hurt anything that isnt meant to be hurt.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:40 PM   #23
jlaird

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajundragger View Post
if you truck lays frame and is built to lay frame...IE has skid plates or drag plates...and you blow a bag or line just plan to drag it till you can fix it. If it is meant to lay it shouldnt hurt anything that isnt meant to be hurt.
except all your purdy paint and expensive control arms...
Old 05-03-2007, 11:28 PM   #24
Shane
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajundragger View Post
Tthe fact that because the frame is now dragging and taking weight OFF the tires, which one uses for steering, I say it could hurt a lot.

If you can't steer it, then you can't drive it ... blow a bag at 60 mph and you are only along for the ride.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:03 AM   #25
64shortc10

Just hook the 2 front air lines together and the 2 rears together with a ball valve and a shop fitting. That's what I did! I just hook it to the house compressor open the ball valve and up it goes. Then pull out the jack and air it out. Then take some pics so we can see how low it is!!!!!

Tony from Norcal
Closed Thread