The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-15-2014, 10:58 AM   #926
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Re: The Hillbilly Deluxe dually build

Thanks for all the kind words from everyone.

I've had a couple of members reach out to me via PM offering some engine parts for my 4x4 project. It looks like between that and the parts I have now, I can likely put together a nice little roller cam Vortec short block with some TBI heads. Looks like a new project is underway and I will have to drag up enough stuff to start a thread. I'll do it in the 4x4 section.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:43 PM   #927
swamp rat

Looking forward to it!

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:35 PM   #928
flashed

Count me in on your next build too,cant wait .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:58 AM   #929
83GMCK2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
Thanks for all the kind words from everyone.

I've had a couple of members reach out to me via PM offering some engine parts for my 4x4 project. It looks like between that and the parts I have now, I can likely put together a nice little roller cam Vortec short block with some TBI heads. Looks like a new project is underway and I will have to drag up enough stuff to start a thread. I'll do it in the 4x4 section.
Wow! I missed your last few updates digging into the 4x4, just caught myself up. I am sorry to see what you have found. If there is anything I can keep my eyes open for on my local CL or in my wrecking yard of preference, I would be happy to do so. I knew where a set of low mile reman Vortec heads were, would need a GMPP 12496821 (or equivalent) to fall out of the sky though.

I am checking the 4x4 Build section daily, looking forward to your new thread as well.

1983 GMC High Sierra 2500, 4x4, RC/LB, 400 S.B., SM-465, NP-208, Corporate 10 bolt & 9.5" 14 bolt
1996 GMC Sierra SLE 3500 DRW, 4x4, EC/LB, Vortec 454, NV-4500, BW-4401, AAM 925 & AAM 1050
1997 GMC Sierra SLT 1500 4x4, Z71/F44, EC/SB, Vortec 350

My Introduction with my '83s History
New Daily, the '96
83GMCK2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 02:06 PM   #930
FunKing85

Truly inspiring man. I love the attention to detail, and the fact that you take the time to impart some knowledge for those of us who want o know more. Keep it up!
Old 03-30-2014, 08:55 AM   #931
Boog
laying low

Whew! 38 pages is a lot of reading kevin. But enjoyable all the way through. As several have said your build threads are entertaining as well as informative. I'm glad to see you didn't scrap the 78 stepper. I have a soft spot for them as I had a 78 step myself for about 12 yrs. The deal with the stepson and the 89, well it just sucks is all I can say. It seems those close to you will abuse you over a deal quicker than a stranger. I hope he turns out to be a better man.
The dually has come a long way. It should tow/haul anything you need it to and be a good runner for a long time to come.
The 4wd is a good project too. We are all waiting to see your work on that one.
With all that you do jobwise and the animals and acreage at home, cycle restorations and personal truck projects, when do you find time to sleep? Brother I could not keep up with you. I wish I had your energy.
You have good fab skills. I can only imagine what you would turn out with a CNC machine.
And how's the finger?
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:15 PM   #932
Tx Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
Whew! 38 pages is a lot of reading kevin. But enjoyable all the way through. As several have said your build threads are entertaining as well as informative. I'm glad to see you didn't scrap the 78 stepper. I have a soft spot for them as I had a 78 step myself for about 12 yrs. The deal with the stepson and the 89, well it just sucks is all I can say. It seems those close to you will abuse you over a deal quicker than a stranger. I hope he turns out to be a better man.
The dually has come a long way. It should tow/haul anything you need it to and be a good runner for a long time to come.
The 4wd is a good project too. We are all waiting to see your work on that one.
With all that you do jobwise and the animals and acreage at home, cycle restorations and personal truck projects, when do you find time to sleep? Brother I could not keep up with you. I wish I had your energy.
You have good fab skills. I can only imagine what you would turn out with a CNC machine.
And how's the finger?
I'm tired. Too many irons in the fire. There's three trucks on my property now, the dually, the stepside, and my 4x4. That's it. These are my last trucks. I've lost track of how many there have been over the years, but this is it.

I did do a build thread on the stepside this morning. The link is in my signature. It's not much of an ongoing deal really. The stepside is reliable and that's about as far as I'm gonna take it right now. The 4x4 takes next precedence.

The finger is pretty well. When the fingernail fell completely off, the new replacement grew in pretty damn fast. Much faster than your normal nails grow. It's at least 80 percent grown in now. Pain free.

I'll start a build thread on the 4x4 soon.

I just got back from Oklahoma yesterday where I picked up a pair of good used TBI heads from another board member on here. Definitely one of the nicest board members I've met. I'm up to my neck in building the engine for the 4x4 now. So far, it's a roller cam 4 bolt 350. I'm doing it stupid cheap. Like, doing my own block prep and cam bearing install and collecting good used parts from three different engines to have enough. I'm up to 240 dollars invested in it so far.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:18 AM   #933
chevy72pu

It took me three days of reading in my spare time to cover the whole thread. I thoroughly enjoyed it. You do quality work.

'10 Traverse LTZ
03 Silverado Z71 ext cab
99 Yamaha Grizzly 600
72 C10 350/350 sportside bed.
68 C30 flatbed. 350 4-speed.

"I've got a good memory, it's just short!"
chevy72pu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:48 PM   #934
Tx Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy72pu View Post
It took me three days of reading in my spare time to cover the whole thread. I thoroughly enjoyed it. You do quality work.
Man, I feel like I owe you an apology for taking up your spare time. I need to start making shorter threads.

I'm Spending every spare second I have building an engine for my 4 wheel drive right now. I guess that will be my next thread that I start.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:31 AM   #935
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

Quote:
Man, I feel like I owe you an apology for taking up your spare time. I need to start making shorter threads.

I'm Spending every spare second I have building an engine for my 4 wheel drive right now. I guess that will be my next thread that I start.
No need to make shorter threads. I think the level of detail and insight you provide in your projects is top notch. For those of us that are have a smaller budget to work with, your tips and techniques make alot of sense.

I thought I had a good handle on alot of the things I have done to these trucks, but your info has made me rethink a few things and given me solutions for others

Please continue to provide the same level of threads you have in the past!

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:38 AM   #936
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie91 View Post
No need to make shorter threads. I think the level of detail and insight you provide in your projects is top notch. For those of us that are have a smaller budget to work with, your tips and techniques make alot of sense.

I thought I had a good handle on alot of the things I have done to these trucks, but your info has made me rethink a few things and given me solutions for others

Agreed.... It's not a waste of time. It's an investment .
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:44 AM   #937
GCncsuHD
Charlie Daniels w/ a Tq Wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963c-10 View Post
I agree with the donkeys being protective. We have a mammoth and a mini....both are very protective of the other livestock.
They are very protective, we have always had one in the fields with our cattle, I even once witnessed it stomp a young rottweiler to death before I could intervene. The dog had no collar, though it is odd to think of a rotty being a stray.

Though it seems if you have multiple donkeys together they lose their protective instinct/aggressiveness towards dogs. Our little Aussie had a healthy fear of the single donkey in our cattle field, but our neighbors that raise donkeys, he has been known to herd the donkeys into circles and run them towards the barn. Not bad for a little 20lb runt of an Aussie.
78 K30 Dually Semi-Retired Fire Truck 350/SM465 35"s
SOLD01 2500HD ECSB 6.0 4x4 5.13's 8" lift 38"s
GCncsuHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:21 AM   #938
Low Elco

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie91 View Post

This. X10.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:36 AM   #939
legendman

Quote:
I need to start making shorter threads.
I think they are great, prefect for reading on a rainy day or a cold winters night by the fire.
Originally Posted by smackzed View Post
I put a chevrolet tailgate on my last truck and it started acting like a girl...love me, need me, want me pay attention to me. Took it off and put the GMC back on (fixed the latch) and it went back to being the same old dirty bastard it used to be
legendman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:05 PM   #940
Tx Firefighter

Y'all will shake your heads when you see some of the stuff I'm doing on the 4x4 engine. I decided I wanted to build a low budget engine using parts from three different engines ...so far. By selecting good used parts, I've been able to gather up parts good enough to not need any outside machine work. Other than buying a 30 dollar cam bearing installation tool, everything I have used is either common tools that most guys have or that you can borrow from the parts store. I've been very hesitant to show too much because I don't want to answer to hecklers. As soon as I get the engine assembled I'll start that thread though.

Right now my pistons are in the cleaning vat. If you soak used pistons in diesel for 24 hours they come out clean and carbon free.

And I've been touching up the face of my cylinder heads with the Hillbilly milling machine.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:10 PM   #941
imjeff

It's been a few years since I've done a motor on the cheap with used parts. When I was racing stock cars on dirt tracks we used to get pretty creative as to what was "within acceptable limits". Those motors may have been a little on the loose side, but they ran like scalded cats. I'm looking forward to that thread. Thanks Kevin!

Jeff
67 Chevelle 396, 4 speed
74 FXE
08 Tahoe
imjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:41 PM   #942
Tx Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjeff View Post
It's been a few years since I've done a motor on the cheap with used parts. When I was racing stock cars on dirt tracks we used to get pretty creative as to what was "within acceptable limits". Those motors may have been a little on the loose side, but they ran like scalded cats. I'm looking forward to that thread. Thanks Kevin!

Jeff
Twenty years ago I basically swept the floor to collect pieces and put together a 350 engine for a truck I had. I even salvaged a similar matching piston out of a second engine to complete the set. I also used a used Erson camshaft with new lifters on it. New timing chain, bearings, and rings. A set of heads off a different engine. Lapped the valves by hand, new valve seals. I used a high volume pump to boost the oil pressure for any wear on the crankshaft and used cam bearings, just in case.

To this day, my buddy still drives that same truck with the same engine. The cylinder bores were about 5 thousandths loose when I put it together. He says its started to burn a little oil lately, but it went many a year and many a mile before it started doing that.

I've gotten more realistic over the years about the grey area between perfect and unacceptable. There's a lot of judgement in between the two. Like you pointed out, a liberal interpretation of what is "good" can still produce an engine that does the job very well.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:00 PM   #943
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

I was thinking about that this past week, people used to re-ring an engine and keep going. Now people want to throw away the pistons if they tear it down.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 04:59 PM   #944
83GMCK2500

I am very much looking forward to the 4x4 build. (I keep checking the 4x4 build section almost daily.) Dumb question, but will you copy/paste/repeat the things in this thread into the new one?

1983 GMC High Sierra 2500, 4x4, RC/LB, 400 S.B., SM-465, NP-208, Corporate 10 bolt & 9.5" 14 bolt
1996 GMC Sierra SLE 3500 DRW, 4x4, EC/LB, Vortec 454, NV-4500, BW-4401, AAM 925 & AAM 1050

New Daily, the '96
Old 04-04-2014, 05:53 PM   #945
Tx Firefighter

I will include everything in my thread over there.

If I started it today, It would go like this.....

I bought this truck (insert a dozen pictures)

Then I tore the engine apart to rebuild it (insert another few dozen pictures of engine pieces)

Then nothing but the sound of crickets chirping while I await further engine parts to arrive.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:55 PM   #946
mickeykreg

Quote:
Twenty years ago I basically swept the floor to collect pieces and put together a 350 engine for a truck I had. I even salvaged a similar matching piston out of a second engine to complete the set. I also used a used Erson camshaft with new lifters on it. New timing chain, bearings, and rings. A set of heads off a different engine. Lapped the valves by hand, new valve seals. I used a high volume pump to boost the oil pressure for any wear on the crankshaft and used cam bearings, just in case.

To this day, my buddy still drives that same truck with the same engine. The cylinder bores were about 5 thousandths loose when I put it together. He says its started to burn a little oil lately, but it went many a year and many a mile before it started doing that.

I've gotten more realistic over the years about the grey area between perfect and unacceptable. There's a lot of judgement in between the two. Like you pointed out, a liberal interpretation of what is "good" can still produce an engine that does the job very well.
Jeez man, your pretty much a bad a-- ...plain and simple!
'80 SRW C35 - 355/700R4/4:11/2.5-3/DD
'77 Cheyenne K5 - Roller cam 355/NV4500/205/4:88's/35's/DD

rust repair on the '77
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=740291
mickeykreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:02 AM   #947
83GMCK2500

Quote:
I will include everything in my thread over there.

If I started it today, It would go like this.....

I bought this truck (insert a dozen pictures)

Then I tore the engine apart to rebuild it (insert another few dozen pictures of engine pieces)

Then nothing but the sound of crickets chirping while I await further engine parts to arrive.
(how do we not have a general thumbs-up smiley...?)

New Daily, the '96
Old 04-07-2014, 03:59 AM   #948
95stepside

I drove past the local fire station yesterday, and lo and behold,what was sitting out front but a white current gen dodge (whatever the years are) with a fancy barb wire pinstripe 4x4 sticker that looked nearly identical to what was on your 89 when you bought it. I, of course, immediately thought of this thread lol.

\hijack
95stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:42 AM   #949
Sodell

[QUOTE=Tx Firefighter;6611612]I decided I wanted to build a low budget engine using parts from three different engines ...so far.

You, building a low budget anything?? I am amazed..lol

87 Chevy 2WD SWB, 88 4x4 LWB
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=610652
Sodell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 05:15 AM   #950
Tx Firefighter

[quote=Sodell;6627854]
Quote:
I decided I wanted to build a low budget engine using parts from three different engines ...so far.

You, building a low budget anything?? I am amazed..lol
Do I seem like a man of means to you ? I've spent less money on this entire truck project since I started building it 17 months ago than other guys spend at Porterbuilt on their front suspension.