The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-08-2019, 07:44 PM   #1
Fry

Paint code help

I picked up a new 1970 GMC shortbed stepside and sent the vin away to vintage vehicle services.
It came back with a paint code “FC674M-special order” with a “628 Olive vinyl bench”.
What colour is that?
I’ve searched and can’t find anything. Under the dash is yellow and the truck is Canadian if that helps.
They included a sheet with paint codes but mine doesn’t show up.
Thanks for the help.
Attached Images

Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:27 PM   #2
jocko

Re: Paint code help

If “FC674M-special order” is the same thing as a "special paint" order - then that wording will appear on the SPID and it will be none of the paint colors listed in the data book for a Series 10-30. You can't work backwards with the seat trim color to figure out the paint candidates - it just means that whatever the paint is, the original was ordered with olive interior trim. The paint color for "special paint" is very often a same-year medium or heavy duty truck or panel/van color (C40+). For instance, in 1970, RPO 519 Dark Yellow was available on medium duty and above, but RPO 520 was available on light duty truck, so Dark Yellow would appear as "Special Paint" on the SPID in 1970 in that case. It's also often a reversal of a stock color two tone combo (i.e. white/yellow reversed). Is this a solid color truck or two tone? If the latter, how is it arranged? Or, can you post a pic of the truck and the SPID?
Attached Images

Last edited by jocko; 01-08-2019 at 08:43 PM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:38 PM   #3
Fry

The truck is a ragged project with a couple of different paint jobs and some primer. There is no spid, hence while I sent my vin in to vintage services to make sure it was factory short box and find the original options.
Here’s a pic under the dash and door panel.
I was hoping this would tell me the actual colour as it’s hard for me to match up with internet pics of repaints.
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2019, 08:32 PM   #4
Redneck Rydes

Most likely ordered as a government truck of some sort
Redneck Rydes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:46 PM   #5
jocko

Well, doesn't look like a factory 70 med/hvy duty color (to me anyway), so it must just be a special color order - buyers could also order same year car colors. This almost looks like some highway maint or airport trucks from back in the day. Most mil service vehicles were gray, dk blue, or white. But who knows... Sorry, not much help!
Old 01-08-2019, 08:51 PM   #6
Fry

Thanks Jocko. Informative nonetheless.
Very well could be a government colour. Maybe a county truck as now I remember all the old square bodies where I lived in Alberta were a custom yellow, which I assume came from factory.
Maybe if I can gently get the paint of the door I can get find a logo under.
Were there many step side with white roofs for two tone? I never paid attention, just that there weren’t any with the middle or lower two tone.
Thanks.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:57 PM   #7
jocko

No Deluxe two tones til 71 (white top & middle), so in 70, you could only get Solid, Conventional two tone (white top), Special two tone (white top and bottom), or a small group of Custom two tones (conventional two tone scheme but with no white). I'm almost certain the Special two tone was only available on fleetsides. No idea how many conventional two tone (your combo) white/yellow 70s there were - only Canada kept good records!

EDIT: Actually, there's one more oddball 70 paint job, that's the yellow/medium olive Special two tone code 573 (same as last pic, except with medium olive also below the lower belt). That's the ONLY non-white Special two tone paint combo I'm aware of.
Attached Images

Last edited by jocko; 01-08-2019 at 09:21 PM.