The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-10-2019, 03:31 PM   #1
kipps

Can someone explain some metri-pack terminology?

Tanged vs. Tangless

150 vs 150.1 vs 150.2

pull-to-seat vs push-to-seat; what's the visual difference?

Any help would be appreciated. Also, if you have some blog, website, or thread that helped a lot with working with metri-pack, I'd appreciate that as well.

Thanks!
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 05:27 PM   #2
ray_mcavoy

Re: Can someone explain some metri-pack terminology?

Here are a few links (PDF files) to the Aptiv (formerly Delphi) catalog pages covering the Metri-Pack connectors:

https://ecat.aptiv.com/category?cat=Metri-Pack

The "tang" is the little metal tab protruding from the terminal that latches it into place inside the plastic connector shell. The "tangless" versions do not have a tang on the metal terminal and are instead held in place by a plastic latching tab inside the connector shell. A separate plastic piece called a TPA (Terminal Position Assurance) is commonly used in addition to the tang or tab to help make sure the terminals stay in place inside the connector.

With the "push to seat" type connectors, you insert the wire through the seal (for sealed connectors) and crimp the terminal onto the wire. Then insert the terminal into the back (wire entry) side of the plastic connector shell and push it until the tang or latch snaps into place. With sealed multi-wire push-to-seat connectors, each wire has it's own individual seal where it enters the connector. And with this style of connector, it is possible to extract the terminals and re-arrange the pin-out or replace a damaged plastic shell without having to cut the terminals off the wires.

With the "pull to seat" type connectors, you insert the wire through the seal, and then through the plastic connector shell before crimping the terminal into place. Then, with the terminal crimped in place, pull back on the wire until the terminal snaps into place inside the connector shell. With sealed multi-wire connectors, the pull-to-seat versions have a single seal with multiple holes (one for each wire). And with pull-to-seat connectors the terminals can still be extracted, but there is no way to re-arrange the pin-out or replace a damaged shell without having to cut the wires and install new terminals for re-assembly.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:46 PM   #3
kipps

Ray_mcavoy, thanks a lot! That's exactly the kind of response I was looking for! I was suspecting the one piece seals were indicative of pull-to-seat, but I wasn't sure until your comments. It appears that 150.2 and 280.2 indicate pull-to-seat. I ran across a 150.1 with no explanation, but it appears to be super rare. So possibly somebody just glitched in entering it in mouser.

Thanks also for that link. It explains a lot. I had been looking for something like that, but was drawing a blank.

Mouser.com appears to be the go-to source for all the little bits, but it's overwhelming looking through their selection. The links to the metri-pack literature should help a lot, particularly seeing they include part numbers for the pictured items.

Have you ordered from mouser? Are they pretty reasonable on shipping? Any surprises or gotcha's that I should know about? Do you recommend anyone else for purchasing seals, connectors, terminals, etc?
Old 03-10-2019, 09:16 PM   #4
ray_mcavoy

You're welcome!

Yeah, I'm not sure what's up with the 150.1 since that doesn't show up in any of the Aptiv / Delphi documentation (at least not that I've seen anyway).

Yes, Mouser is a good source. I've purchased terminals, connectors, and other electronic parts from them and always found their parts & shipping prices to be quite reasonable.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:36 PM   #5
kipps

Several more questions --

What is the difference between GT series and non-GT series? For example, I find "GT 280" and "280" listed. What's the characteristic difference? Tanged vs Tangless? I've found Delphi catalogs describing both the GT and the non-GT series, but nothing will say what the difference is.

When I punch in a part number in Mouser, it often gives me two options. "15326623" and "15326623-B" For example. What does the "-B" stand for? The price is often the same, and the description is invariably identical.

When a part is listed in Mouser as an "assembly", Can I safely assume this includes the connector seal(if applicable) and the TPA(terminal position assurance)? If so, I only need to buy the male and female assemblies, the terminals themselves, the wire seals, and optionally, the CPA(connector position assurance). Correct?
Old 03-20-2019, 06:59 PM   #6
ray_mcavoy

From what I understand, the GT series is basically it's own line of connectors ... separate from the Metri-Pack series. According to the catalog listing (https://ecat.aptiv.com/category?cat=GT) all of the GT series connectors are a "tangless" design.

Like the Metri-Pack series, the GT series connectors come in 150 and 280 sizes. Those numbers denote the width of the male terminal blades (1.50mm and 2.80mm). But other than having some blade widths in common, I don't think they share any interchangeable parts.

So if you see a listing for "GT 280" it would be referring to the GT series line of connectors with the 2.80mm blade width. A listing for simply "280" isn't really all that descriptive and could be referring to any connector system with a 2.80mm blade width. Although, there is a good chance it means Metri-Pack 280 since those seem to be the most common.

When Mouser shows multiple listings for the same part number it's usually in relation to the packaging / quantity. For example terminals are often available in small quantities for manual assembly or can be purchased in large bulk reels for use in automated assembly machines. In the case of the "15326623" vs. "15326623-B" example, the only difference I can see is in the bulk quantity packaging. It says the "15326623" come in a factory pack quantity of 800 while the "15326623-B" come in a factory pack quantity of 50. Since the price is the same and both are showing in stock it probably doesn't make any difference which one you choose in this case.

If the description of the parts listed as an "assembly" doesn't specifically list what components are (or are not) included, it would probably be a good idea to contact Mouser and double check with them before ordering.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:21 AM   #7
Mr_Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipps View Post
Tanged vs. Tangless

150 vs 150.1 vs 150.2

pull-to-seat vs push-to-seat; what's the visual difference?

Any help would be appreciated. Also, if you have some blog, website, or thread that helped a lot with working with metri-pack, I'd appreciate that as well.

Thanks!
I think most of your questions have already been answered. I wanted to share the fact that I found a business just twenty miles north of me that sells Weather Pak and Metri Pak connector kits. Check out https://customconnectorkits.com. There may be others you can find online but this one is close to me. I was able to repair the EGR plug on the '97 K2500 I've been working on.
Attached Images

1997 K2500 Chev. EC 7.4L/ 4L80E
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 HD R/C
Mr_Rich is offline   Reply With Quote