The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-21-2019, 10:21 PM   #1
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Removing paint from small parts?

Is there some sort of paint remover available to the public that you could soak small parts in and get it down to bare metal. I'm thinking hubcaps, misc. small painted trim pieces, radio deletes ... stuff like that.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:01 AM   #2
MARTINSR

Re: Removing paint from small parts?

I end up stripping with the sand blaster on stuff like that. Paint remover some times, but most of the time at the very least finishing it off with the sand blaster.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 03:20 AM   #3
mongocanfly
Post Whore

yep..blast cabinet works great for smaller parts
im sure there USED to be some great liquid paint removers before the epa ruined everthing

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:04 AM   #4
MARTINSR

Now I don't have a sand blast cabinet, we are talking a bucket-o-sand kinda thing. Just blast out in the back yard. You can put up a little "cabinet" with a tarp over a table or something on top of concrete and blast under it then sweep up the sand and reuse.

I have something like this only smaller.

I also have a "Speed blaster" with the "Hot Spot" attachment allows you to sand blast small spots with virtually no sand flying out! A very valuable tool in my opinion.

Brian

Old 03-22-2019, 11:48 PM   #5
oem4me

There's lots of brush-on paint removers available at home stores that will do small jobs easily. Plus you can buy in small quantities. Blasting is certainly the way to go for some stuff, but not everything. Removing painted details from polished trim pieces requires a chemical, not abrasion. Cleaning failing paint from emblems and such can sometimes be accomplished quickly with a shot of carb cleaner and a toothbrush.
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:33 AM   #6
nsb29

Depending on the size of the part and the sandblaster you’re using is very easy to warp the parts something like a radio delet hubcaps Would be OK

Last edited by nsb29; 03-23-2019 at 08:38 AM.
nsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 01:32 PM   #7
Keith Seymore

A mixture of hydrochloric acid and water works nicely on rusty steel parts. Throw them in a plastic bucket and check in on them every so often. Rinse when done and paint or oil right away.

Do not use for aluminum parts. They will dissolve.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 02:18 PM   #8
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsb29 View Post
Depending on the size of the part and the sandblaster you’re using is very easy to warp the parts something like a radio delet hubcaps Would be OK
You are right to point that out, good catch! We are talking small parts, "hard" parts and small sheetmetal parts or things like floors and firewalls and stuff like that. But DO NOT sand blast large panels like hoods and doors as they can warp VERY EASILY and very badly.

Picture the sand as being millions of tiny hammers putting dents in the outer layer of metal!

Good thing to make that perfectly clear.

Brian

Old 03-23-2019, 04:21 PM   #9
CG
BlahBlahBlah

There used to be places around here that you could have entire bodys dipped and they come out bare metal when it was only paint being removed. I believe they still have them in Oregon, I know some of the restoration shops use them.

I was thinking there must be a way to do small pieces at home. Im not talking rust removal, just a decent part that I want the paint stripped off of. I don't have a sand blast cabinet and wasn't wanting to purchase anything to blast.

Ill check the home stores. I have heard of something called aircraft stripper that people brush on and then scrape off. I wonder if I can just put some in a metal container and drop the parts in that I want the paint to come off of? As you can tell I have pretty much no idea what Im talking about haha!
Old 03-23-2019, 07:06 PM   #10
oem4me

There's a guy out here that sells this paint remover and a bunch of other metal cleaning/conditioning products at local swap meets. I guess it's all available online too. I can vouch for the effectiveness of the stripper, metal prep, and rust remover, as they all work well. The paint stripper is sprayed on via spray bottle, so it's quite convenient. http://www.blulightning.com/aircraft...mover-1-gallon
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 09:53 AM   #11
CG
BlahBlahBlah

The website is a little slim in the complete info department. Ill give them a shout next week sometime. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 03-25-2019, 07:23 AM   #12
nsb29

The simplest and easiest thing to do is go to your local hardware store and buy a gallon of paint remover brush it on i’m sure you could put it in a plastic bucket and soke your part in it but I think it would be a waste of material and then you have contaminated the whole thing
Old 03-25-2019, 08:50 AM   #13
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
There used to be places around here that you could have entire bodys dipped and they come out bare metal when it was only paint being removed. I believe they still have them in Oregon, I know some of the restoration shops use them.

I was thinking there must be a way to do small pieces at home. Im not talking rust removal, just a decent part that I want the paint stripped off of. I don't have a sand blast cabinet and wasn't wanting to purchase anything to blast.

Ill check the home stores. I have heard of something called aircraft stripper that people brush on and then scrape off. I wonder if I can just put some in a metal container and drop the parts in that I want the paint to come off of? As you can tell I have pretty much no idea what Im talking about haha!
See post 7 above.

The acid is available at pool stores or Home Depot and it’s sold under the name of “Muratic Acid”.

The ratio is around 7:1 or 10:1 parts water vs acid.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:56 PM   #14
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
See post 7 above.

The acid is available at pool stores or Home Depot and it’s sold under the name of “Muratic Acid”.

The ratio is around 7:1 or 10:1 parts water vs acid.

K
Oh sorry, I thought this was a formula for removing rust and scale, not for paint removal ... Thanks!