The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-14-2007, 01:33 AM   #1
Rokcrln

LFD's low buck truck build!

LFD's
Low buck truck build

This is a new project that I am starting at a slow pace when I have time between customer builds and life in general. It will be a diferent kind of build thread for this board. I will be showing all the work and most steps needed to do it your self. I will also be giving the hours spent for diferent tasks that I am doing so others will have a guild line for their own work. It may also help when looking for a shop to help you out on your project. I will be sharing any and all money I spend on this build. Some parts will be bought from normal shops, some will come from the wrecking yard and others will be donated or traded for Parts I have laying around here to help cut down on build costs.

I just got these trucks from another board member that lost interest. The build truck is a 70 CST LWB 350 auto, ps,pb, A/C, disk and rear leafs. The price of the truck is not important because this build is to show how much money and time can be extected for doing the same mods to a truck you already have or may be looking at buying.

Now for the build info.
I want to build a low dollar 2wd short bed that is capible of towing my 16' car trailer and look good at the same time but not so cheap that their are compromises in quality or reliability.

First thing is get it running and on the road as is. Then we will move onto the ride height, it will get drop spindles and lowered springs up front and in the rear I will keep the leaf springs and most likely do an axel flip kit, C-notch and a set of over load bags to level out the ride with the trailer hooked up.

Once that is done I will move onto turning the fleet side bed into a short bed and cutting the frame down as well. I will show step by step pics for taking your fleet side bed and with a little cut and snip end up with a short bed and also cutting down your long bed frame to match.

After that is done we will move onto rust replacement, body work and paint. I think this will be a fun build for all of us and I hope people get good info out of it. If you have any susgestion or coments please let me know, while I have a plan I will be following it is not set in stone and may change here and their just abit.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 01:44 AM   #2
Rokcrln

Re: LFD's low buck truck build!

Here is the truck that will be built for my new tow rig. Right now it has a new crate GM350 in it that had a broken bolt in the intake manifold water neck so it was pulled apart for repairs. I got this truck with almost all the parts needed to get it on the road and have a great start for this build. So far I have only found rust in the kick panels. The floor and rockers look real good but the water that ate the kick panels came from some where so I expect to find problems down the road that we will deal with. Alot of parts are in boxes in the cab, bed and many other places. It comes with a 67 parts truck that is not really needed tor the build but will come in handy for other projects in the shop as well as parts for other members.

Here are a few pic's from today after I got it home. I will get more detailed pics in the next few days.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Attached Images

Old 01-14-2007, 01:45 AM   #3
Rokcrln

A few more.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Attached Images

Last edited by Rokcrln; 01-14-2007 at 01:47 AM.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:46 AM   #4
low'n slow
Too Dumb To Know Better

I can't wait!
low'n slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 02:08 AM   #5
Rokcrln

After 2 trips to Sacramento making full loads we got it all home and I still had a few hours to play. I started with sorting out engine parts to put it back together. I was able to find most of what I needed but had to make one parts trip so far.
I picked up a new PS return hose, battery, thermostat and a new carb to maniforl gasket. I still need to get a dist hold down bracket in the morning. I spent $80.09 on parts today and 2hrs 20min in labor. I removed the valve covers and cleaned the old intake gaskets. This motor looks like it is brand new on the inside so I hope it runs good. I then replaced the intake and set the motor for TDC and dropped in the dist. I could not find a dist clamp in the parts boxes so I will pick one up in the morning. I then replaced the battery box with a new one (that was in the bed) because it was rusted out. I also put in the new battery from Napa auto parts.

While looking for parts I did run accross a box in the bed that I was not aware of. It had two new stock mirrrors in it, lic plt bracket and light, gravel guards (don't know what they are) New rear bumper brackets and bolts

I am not sure how much more I will be getting done right now because as soon as it is warm enough I need to spray project lemon drop with high build primmer for block sanding and paint. But as time allows I wil up date this thread but their will be down time between posts, sorry but customers come first.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Attached Images

Old 01-14-2007, 04:06 AM   #6
Draggn66
Wrenchin & Sandin!!!

Great Idea! Thanks for sharing

My Favorite eBay Searches

My Driver Restore Thread
1971 C10 Longbed
2005 Silverado Shortbed
2005 FXDWG
Draggn66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 04:34 AM   #7
Bishops Trucks
KEEP ON TRUCKIN'

I'll stay tuned!

'71 Cheyenne Z71 / LT1 & 4-Speed SWB K/10 Father/Son Project
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l689JKXPnA
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php
"LIVIN' FREE FOREVER"
Bishops Trucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 07:50 AM   #8
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

I'm watching you.
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 09:10 AM   #9
Boog
laying low

Great idea Kevin. Looks like that engine has never been run. Now if the tranny and brakes are ok. I've given similar thoughts to pulling our camper with my 69 step. Working on this one as time allows when would you expect to see this one on the road?
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 10:05 AM   #10
Crank

Tuned in.
Brandon
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 10:07 AM   #11
Hart_Rod

Everyone buckle up , this is going to be fun!!

Last edited by Hart_Rod; 01-14-2007 at 10:08 AM.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 10:12 AM   #12
ortegamotor

hey Kevin, i like the thread you started.im doing the same thing right now with a 70 chevy long bed that i picked up for $300.00 . it is straight and rust free.but it did have a rod sticking out of the side of the motor.my whole goal with this truck is to put together a cool looking parts runner and something i can haul my dirt bike around in.i might have to start my own thread as well.good luck and i look forward to viewing your build . Tony , Auburn Ca
ortegamotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 10:24 AM   #13
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

GO KEVIN, GO KEVIN
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 10:54 AM   #14
Rokcrln

Well right now it is 21* out side in sunny California and I will not be able to spray the primer on Lemon Drop so it should be running today and once I find a seat (and cut up the parts truck sitting in front of it) it wil be on the road. Comming off the trailer the brakes seemed good and I have two new rotors sitting in the bed as well! I am going to try and keep it a semi driving resto/ custom as it goes. I will swap out the rotors the same week end it gets lowered. then the week end I cut the frame I will pull the bed and set it aside for shorting, have the drive shaft made (one piece) and be able to drive it while I do the bed work. The only real down time will be when I do the interior rust paint work because I will have the glass out to fix and rust I find. This way I can finish the interior and put in new glass and keep it running while the rest of the body is done.

I have already been offered a set of Air Ride bags from "PorterBuilt Street Rods" to use for load levlers. He is donating them to the build I jusat pay shipping. I will get a bag price so it can be included in the build.
Thanks Nate!

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:31 AM   #15
Rokcrln

Here are a few sub zero (21* close enough) pics from this morning. Like I said the only showing rust in the two kick panels but we all know their will be more that will want to come out and playas this build develops.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Attached Images

Old 01-14-2007, 11:34 AM   #16
Hart_Rod

That's what mine looked like when I started, and we know how that turned out . OBTW, since you were giving me such a hard time about the liftgate, it's a sunny 75 in FL !

Last edited by Hart_Rod; 01-14-2007 at 03:09 PM.
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 11:36 AM   #17
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

You contributions to this board by your detailed posts are priceless - now I've got another thread to watch very closely - thanks!
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 11:38 AM   #18
BustedTruck

Nice This is going to be a very helpful build
BustedTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 02:53 PM   #19
DoobieBrother

I'll seriuosly be watching this one. This is the kind of info I need as I get into working over my `68.

Thanks a bunch!
Muchos Gracias!
And other stuff
DoobieBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 03:24 PM   #20
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Kevin,I'll be watching.I think you started this build to keep the customers coming.Sure as the devil we will be watching and waiting and you will get covered up with customers work.That's how life always seems to work.I'll be looking forward to seeing this come together.Maybe you should video some of this one too.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 03:55 PM   #21
BLACK AND BLUE 67-72
Firefighter

Thumbs up Re: LFD's low buck truck build!

Sweet I can't wait to see how it turns out!!!
Yellville, Ar. USA

BLACK AND BLUE 67-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 04:37 PM   #22
corn

This will be another good one to follow. One question though, why not just leave it a long bed? I mean if you are planning on towing with it and everything? Besides, I like the long beds. Anyway, cant wait to see an update...
corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 05:29 PM   #23
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornfed63 View Post
.... One question though, why not just leave it a long bed? I mean if you are planning on towing with it and everything? Besides, I like the long beds....
He likes short beds more! This will be another cool one to watch.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 01-14-2007 at 05:29 PM.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 07:20 PM   #24
hotrodhomi

Looks like a good starter truck
hotrodhomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 07:29 PM   #25
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
He likes short beds more! This will be another cool one to watch.
Yes I can not stand long beds! Sorry guys nothing personal just my tastes! Plus what fun is cutting a bed and aframe if you end up with what you started with

Well it is running now and sounds good except for the exhaust leaks. It has some old rusty ful length headers on it that will stay for now and just get new gaskets later tonight. Today I had to buy a dist. clamp, PS belt, PS return hose, fuel - vac-heater hose's, ATF battery ground cable, air cleaner stud and cap nut. For a total of $126.20. That puts us at a total of $206.29 for a running truck almost ready for the road. I just need to put in a seat and make a trip to the DMV to get it transfered and registered (has a non op right now) and slap on some plates. The tranny works and so do the brakes as well as the posi I sitll need to time it and alittle tweaking that will happen in the next week or so. Here are a few pics of todays warm activity

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Total $226.20
Attached Images