The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-19-2019, 08:42 PM   #1
landarts
landarts

Never know what you will find

Went today to to look at a Custom Camper CST truck as a possible project or parts truck. After looking over it there was not a part on it that was not rusted through or destroyed. Meaning if the door was not rusted it was creased beyond repair. The 327 motor was there except one of the pistons was peeking through the bottom of the pan, the bedsides were trashed and the bed floor was dent free but was like swiss cheese with rust. Rockers, inner rockers, supports rusted through, hood hinges broken, hood trashed, dash cut etc. I decided to pass on this truck.

I then noticed as I was looking toward the fence next to the truck that there were other vehicles, lots of vehicles. I asked if he had anything else available in the 67-72 trucks, blazers or suburbans. He said yes I have few but not sure if I am ready to sell just yet. I kept listening to his story and finally he said would you like to take a peek. I said "Yes, yes sir", as we walked through the high gate to get in it was like stepping into a time warp of cars and trucks. There were over a hundred cars in this area. Almost every car was an original paint car. As we walked down the lane I saw a 58 GMC Napco CarryAll in original paint, I saw Chargers, Dusters, and other rare Mopar vehicles. Looked to the my right and saw Mustangs, Camaros, Barracudas and other classic muscle cars. Finally we got to the K20 Suburban that was loaded and talked about it a bit. Never got a number from him on it but I planted the seed of interest. Then he walked me over to a Sierra Grande that had a Med Olive original paint, bucket seats, center console, door panels all in parchment, BB engine, tach, tilt, air, automatic etc.....loaded truck. There were a few more on the property worth buying. So I repeated that I was interested and to please call me when you decide to sell.

The final thing he said to me is that the collection was his retirement and at some point he was going to sell most of it and keep a few for himself. I enjoyed the tour of the classic cars and hoped someday to get a call. Sometimes you just need to ask.

Here is a satellite image of the place I visited yesterday and I marked a few of the treasures that might be available at some point. There was a bunch to take in and this is not a public place this is in a residential neighborhood. He has been aquiring on this property since 1989.

So here is the legend for the map provided below:
  1. K20 Suburban
  2. C30 / RV camper on back
  3. Sierra Grande loaded
  4. C10
  5. C10
  6. C10
  7. C10
Attached Images

Fix and Sale 72 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 K2500
The "Fixrupr" build thread

72 Cheyenne 1/2 ton " FIXRUPR " - daily driver
67 C20 all original paint
71 K20 Custom 4x4 (Idaho Edition)
72 K20 GMC Super Custom 4x4
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
69 K10 Custom package 4x4 (69 K10 from the field)
69 K10 Custom
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
72 K20 Crew Cab Project
71 GMC Jimmy CST
72 Blazer
70 Blazer

Last edited by landarts; 03-22-2019 at 01:46 PM.
landarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:35 PM   #2
68Gold/white

Re: Never know what you will find

Very well done on your approach!!!
Seed planting can go a long ways!!!
Keeping the conversation positive and complimenting the owner on his stuff helps. You never want to project a negative vibe...if at all possible in these sorts of situations.

I've got 2 vehicles that I know the owners of right now, they say they will never sell...BUT I mentioned I'd be interested IF, IF their minds ever changed...one is a 72 C10..cherry original. to tell you how cherry..................it still has the original seat cover on it, with one of those parts stores covers over the top to protect it. He has owned it since early 80's. Saw it this past THanksgiving for first time...could not believe what I was looking at!!!
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:24 AM   #3
Bones72Super

Pictures!!!!!!!!! Sounds like a dream I often have
Old 03-20-2019, 09:05 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

Some buyin' has to start with meetin' and makin' friends. Just being two people who enjoy these things.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:15 AM   #5
custom10nut

Great approach. If he’s near enough to you, Next go by and offer to help him organize his Goldmine, and start to get details for when he decides to start selling (engine/no engine, trans, interior condition, etc..). The more he sees you the more likely to “Call you first” when the time comes. Hope the best.
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:31 AM   #6
landarts
landarts

Here is a satellite image of the place I visited yesterday and I marked a few of the treasures that might be available at some point. There was a bunch to take in and this is not a public place this is in a residential neighborhood. He has been aquiring on this property since 1989.

So here is the legend for the map provided below:
  1. K20 Suburban
  2. C30 / RV camper on back
  3. Sierra Grande loaded
  4. C10
  5. C10
  6. C10
  7. C10
Attached Images

72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
69 K10 Custom
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
72 K20 Crew Cab Project
71 GMC Jimmy CST
72 Blazer
70 Blazer
Old 03-20-2019, 12:11 PM   #7
72ironmike

Awsome share !
72ironmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 02:52 PM   #8
Old Truck Man

My hoard is also my retirement. Im now 67 and need to cash some of it in. At present in trying to sell the square cab trucks & parts. Ive been pulling and saving some disk brake front suspensions and rear ends to put under 64 thru 70 trucks.
Old Truck Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 03:19 PM   #9
landarts
landarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Truck Man View Post
My hoard is also my retirement. Im now 67 and need to cash some of it in. At present in trying to sell the square cab trucks & parts. Ive been pulling and saving some disk brake front suspensions and rear ends to put under 64 thru 70 trucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72ironmike View Post
Awsome share !
I know, wish I could have put it all together with the right words, it was one of those experiences you never forget. How do you explain stepping into a time capsule.

72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
69 K10 Custom
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
72 K20 Crew Cab Project
71 GMC Jimmy CST
72 Blazer
70 Blazer
Old 03-21-2019, 06:36 PM   #10
bill3rail

Nice! Would love to find a vehicle hoarder's yard.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:24 PM   #11
landarts
landarts

Well I have some news about you "Never know what you will find", well sorta. This week it seems that a few items came up on Craigslist, like the truck in this story that led to the time capsule of cars. I also had been dropping a few emails for a few items that popped up on Craigslist in the parts section. I just kept on sending emails once a day saying that I am interested and looking for the items for a few restoration projects.

Well the first one was a long bed that I have been trying to track down for a few days and finally got a response back. So after work I grabbed the flatbed trailer and brought it home for $200.

The second one was someone that had a bunch a parts left over from a few years back and the wife wanted them out of the garage. I was mostly interested in the GMC fenders for the 67 GMC K10 I picked up two weeks ago needs fenders. Once I got there and started talking to him he said he was interested in selling it all. I said how much and he said $200 should do it. I was surprised, shocked and elated at that same time. So here is the haul for this trip.
  • 2- doors with everything on them
  • 4- inner fenders
  • 1- complete core support
  • 1- 67 grill with hoop rings, emblem and center piece that goes between core support
  • 1- extra hoop ring for grill
  • 2- GMC fenders
  • 1- 67 hood
  • 2- battery trays
  • 2- high hump transmission covers 1 is for a 4x4
  • 4- radiator support fastners with rubber
  • 1- 6 cylinder fan shroud finger guard
  • 3- cowls

After I paid him I asked questions about his 67 project truck. We talked about what it used to be, the things he has done to it and what was left to be done. I offered to work with him and teach him how to paint. He was really appreciative and said he would take me up on the offer in the near future. As I got ready to leave he said do you have minute I want to show you a few more items. I said sure and went back into the garage and he had five or six large plastic bins full of mostly dash parts. Several sets of gauge clusters, a few sets of nice sun visors, heat and ac controllers, glove box lids, knobs, etc, etc........bunch-o-parts. He said once he wraps up with the 67 he would call me for all of those parts.
Attached Images

72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
69 K10 Custom
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
72 K20 Crew Cab Project
71 GMC Jimmy CST
72 Blazer
70 Blazer
Old 03-22-2019, 02:32 AM   #12
89AKurt

That's a cool exciting thing to happen! Think we all have this wish.

When I travel, I'm looking over/behind fences as I go. There have been plenty of times that I u-turned to get a closer look. I'll tease everyone with this picture.

Today I met a client, saw a bed converted into a trailer in back, asked if I could get back-up light lenses.

Old 03-22-2019, 01:00 PM   #13
landarts
landarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89AKurt View Post
That's a cool exciting thing to happen! Think we all have this wish.

When I travel, I'm looking over/behind fences as I go. There have been plenty of times that I u-turned to get a closer look. I'll tease everyone with this picture.

Today I met a client, saw a bed converted into a trailer in back, asked if I could get back-up light lenses.

Oh that is a nice little time capsule there! I would to have one of those older AD style trucks.

72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
69 K10 Custom
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
72 K20 Crew Cab Project
71 GMC Jimmy CST
72 Blazer
70 Blazer
Old 03-22-2019, 01:25 PM   #14
68Gold/white

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarts View Post
Well I have some news about you "Never know what you will find", well sorta. This week it seems that a few items came up on Craigslist, like the truck in this story that led to the time capsule of cars. I also had been dropping a few emails for a few items that popped up on Craigslist in the parts section. I just kept on sending emails once a day saying that I am interested and looking for the items for a few restoration projects.

Well the first one was a long bed that I have been trying to track down for a few days and finally got a response back. So after work I grabbed the flatbed trailer and brought it home for $200.

The second one was someone that had a bunch a parts left over from a few years back and the wife wanted them out of the garage. I was mostly interested in the GMC fenders for the 67 GMC K10 I picked up two weeks ago needs fenders. Once I got there and started talking to him he said he was interested in selling it all. I said how much and he said $200 should do it. I was surprised, shocked and elated at that same time. So here is the haul for this trip.
  • 2- doors with everything on them
  • 4- inner fenders
  • 1- complete core support
  • 1- 67 grill with hoop rings, emblem and center piece that goes between core support
  • 1- extra hoop ring for grill
  • 2- GMC fenders
  • 1- 67 hood
  • 2- battery trays
  • 2- high hump transmission covers 1 is for a 4x4
  • 4- radiator support fastners with rubber
  • 1- 6 cylinder fan shroud finger guard
  • 3- cowls

After I paid him I asked questions about his 67 project truck. We talked about what it used to be, the things he has done to it and what was left to be done. I offered to work with him and teach him how to paint. He was really appreciative and said he would take me up on the offer in the near future. As I got ready to leave he said do you have minute I want to show you a few more items. I said sure and went back into the garage and he had five or six large plastic bins full of mostly dash parts. Several sets of gauge clusters, a few sets of nice sun visors, heat and ac controllers, glove box lids, knobs, etc, etc........bunch-o-parts. He said once he wraps up with the 67 he would call me for all of those parts.
Ya Hoo, Mountain, Dew!!!
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote