The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-19-2020, 03:20 PM   #1
ncsurveyor

Power steering, what parts do I need?

Can you guys tell me what all parts I need to convert to power steering on my 68 C10? I知 doing an ls swap and my motor already has the power steering pump. I know I値l need a power steering gear box and pitman arm. What else?
ncsurveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 04:33 PM   #2
easyrider

Re: Power steering, what parts do I need?

What year p/s pump are you using? I have just finished putting p/s on my 68 and I used the original 68 p/s box and I had a p/s pump that came with the engine I bought which was a 1983, so I was going to use it. Now I know that the two aren't compatible. one is o ring and one is pressure fitted, so now lines won't mate. But, I did find from one of our members a company called Lee power steering in CA. that can make fittings that make the two use one common p/s line. Let me know how your turns out and how you corrected your problem. Hope this helps.
easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 09:29 PM   #3
ncsurveyor

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyrider View Post
What year p/s pump are you using? I have just finished putting p/s on my 68 and I used the original 68 p/s box and I had a p/s pump that came with the engine I bought which was a 1983, so I was going to use it. Now I know that the two aren't compatible. one is o ring and one is pressure fitted, so now lines won't mate. But, I did find from one of our members a company called Lee power steering in CA. that can make fittings that make the two use one common p/s line. Let me know how your turns out and how you corrected your problem. Hope this helps.
The pump is on a 2011 L94 out of a GMC Yukon Denali. I知 planning on buying a new power steering box so I知 assuming they値l work together.
Anybody else have any info on what else I need?
ncsurveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 11:14 PM   #4
Smitty

I used a pump from a mid 90's GMC. which is the vehicle i pulled all the brackets for the serpentine set up off of. Replaced my leaky, worn box with one from Redhead Steering Boxes. My drag link was shot so that was also changed at that time. You will need an adapter for the pressure port on the pump to take you from the o-ring fitting to the inverted flare needed for the OEM pressure hose. They are available at Jegs, Summit probably has them as well.
Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote