The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > Review Board > Vendor Reviews

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-03-2007, 09:33 PM   #1
chevybill

Thumbs up Fatmat product

I am currently installing fatmat sound deadener in my 70 cab. The 100 square feet pack was ordered and I estimate that I will probably use close to 75 square feet of it inside the cab and doors. I am covering every possible
area of the cab and doors with this material. Back of cab, entire floorboard, firewall and behind the dash pad area. Today, I done the inside of my doors and what a difference it made when closing an insulated door compared to a non insulated door. It sounds much more solid and stable and less like
a large hollow cage door. The "installation kit" they send is pretty much useless- a cheap razor knife and a very light roller is much different to what is pictured on their website. Fatmat is easy to work with and sticks well when applied to surfaces either flat or vertical. I will have to wait to see how well it insulates and actually holds out sound, but so far I recommend this product. It is a very affordable alternative to dynamat.
chevybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 10:14 PM   #2
Shane
Account Suspended

Re: Fatmat product

Just finished the very same install with the very same product. Covered everything from the bottom of the rear window all the way to the bottom of the front windshield.

Easy to work with ... even when cold, add a little heat form a heat gun and it's stuck. I agree with the "installation kit" ... it's a joke. I used a wooden roller made for wallpaper seams and a good utility knife. Made lots of patterns with poster board and butcher paper and then transfered to the FatMat.

I used approx. 65-70 sq. yards as well. Still have a good portion of the 2nd roll left ... but I haven't done my doors yet.

Nice product. Great Price. I would recommend it over the other stuff with Dyna in it's name.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 10:59 PM   #3
slt0066

have you got any pics? i'd like to see how you do the doors, will it hurt to get wet when it rains or does the weather strip on the windows keep the rain out. and do any board members ,vendors sell this.?

Last edited by slt0066; 03-03-2007 at 11:00 PM.
slt0066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 12:11 AM   #4
chevybill

I don't have pics, but for the doors I cut pieces about 4 inches wide and inserted them through the access hole in the door. My doors are empty shells at this point and it took some bending of my arms to get to the bottom inside of the door. I ran two pieces across the inside top section of the door to about where the mirrors will mount and the rest vertical pieces for the entire width of the door.
chevybill is offline   Reply With Quote