The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-29-2012, 07:23 PM   #251
joe231

Re: Not Another Rebuild Thread....

Yeah
Squarebanks sucks!!

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-29-2012, 10:52 PM   #252
KroAutomotiveInc

that pic is amazing i would love living there
KroAutomotiveInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:13 AM   #253
66ChevyMax

There's a street in that pic?

Beautiful place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurphy View Post
Well guys, we had dinner with friends on Saturday which limits my time in the garage, on top of the temps dipping down to -50*. So in short, I took this weekend off from the truck, first one so far since September when I got it.

So no updates and my rockers and cab corners are still waiting for me down there.

Visability right now is about 100 yards, and less at night. Oddly enough when it gets this cold there rolls in some ice fog, and it is a motherhumper to drive in.

This pic is the view out my front window, notice how you can barely make out the neighbors place across the street...
Hopefully this week I can get home early enough to do some stuff, but next weekend is for certain as it is my last weekend before the Sierra tear down marathon!

Thanks for looking !!
1957 Chevrolet 2dr Hardtop
"It makes sence if you don't think about it"
Mesquite 1966 C10 - LS3 W/ Air Ride
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4989763
66ChevyMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:22 PM   #254
flips72

like i said brrrrrrrrrrrrrr, nice picture though, but wheres the snow man?
flips72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:25 PM   #255
57truckguy

Yea I'm with Max... There is a street out there... LOL
57truckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:35 AM   #256
b2948kevin

Wow, great work McMurphy! It takes a lot of motivation to get those panels replaced, but it sure feels good when they get there. I still have the passenger side to do on mine...

You got some good advice on hanging the door and checking for fit. I had to do a lot of fitting to get things even close and I still feel like they are off a bit. Moral of the story: take your time and test fit the doors a bunch.

Also, I had issues with my doors rubbing the outer rocker. I put some masking tape in the areas that I suspected and then confirmed where they were rubbing by noticing damage to the masking tape where it was touching. Hopefully you don't need to do this, but it may come in handy.

Good to hear you're surviving in the great white north
b2948kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:50 AM   #257
Chad215

Wow-that is a great picture-I would love to be able to see that in person some day. Not a lot of snow in Houston.

I know it sounds corny, but at least you're able to see things like that. I know you're military so I'm assuming Alaska isn't permanent. I consider myself lucky to have traveled to europe with the Army, and been able to see and experience different cultures.

I'm sure that cold is hard though. I'm in Houston-I don't think we've gotten below freezing at all this year. I have a small propane camping heater that I turn on in my garage so I can go work in my shorts and a t-shirt.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:39 PM   #258
McMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad64chevy View Post
mcmurphy those pictures look great, the wife loves the snow but cant drive in it at all!! i hate the cold but can drive in any weather, lol!!
Driving in this weather takes more skill than most people think. Sadly some of those live up here too. I dont mind the cold, but when it is too cold to do something then I start to mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe231 View Post
Yeah
Squarebanks sucks!!

Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah, well the Army doesnt pick all the good spots....

Quote:
Originally Posted by KroAutomotiveInc View Post
that pic is amazing i would love living there
It is nice in small increments, like anything else, you can find the good in it, but when it is time to go you cannot always be sad to leave eh? LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66ChevyMax View Post
There's a street in that pic?

Beautiful place.
Yeah my driveway is just past the stump too. Going to dinner Saturday night and the ice fog was so thick that when a car passed you, its tail lights were no longer visible 75 yards away. That stuff gets dangerous when you come up on wrecks in the road....

Quote:
Originally Posted by flips72 View Post
like i said brrrrrrrrrrrrrr, nice picture though, but wheres the snow man?
I think if you squint, you can still see some in that photo !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57truckguy View Post
Yea I'm with Max... There is a street out there... LOL
Meh.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2948kevin View Post
Wow, great work McMurphy! It takes a lot of motivation to get those panels replaced, but it sure feels good when they get there. I still have the passenger side to do on mine...

You got some good advice on hanging the door and checking for fit. I had to do a lot of fitting to get things even close and I still feel like they are off a bit. Moral of the story: take your time and test fit the doors a bunch.

Also, I had issues with my doors rubbing the outer rocker. I put some masking tape in the areas that I suspected and then confirmed where they were rubbing by noticing damage to the masking tape where it was touching. Hopefully you don't need to do this, but it may come in handy.

Good to hear you're surviving in the great white north
Thanks about the tape idea, I will keep that in mind. Right now my plan of attack is to get the rocker mostly fitted to its pillar contours, then tack one side in, hang the door and go from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad215 View Post
Wow-that is a great picture-I would love to be able to see that in person some day. Not a lot of snow in Houston.

I know it sounds corny, but at least you're able to see things like that. I know you're military so I'm assuming Alaska isn't permanent. I consider myself lucky to have traveled to europe with the Army, and been able to see and experience different cultures.

I'm sure that cold is hard though. I'm in Houston-I don't think we've gotten below freezing at all this year. I have a small propane camping heater that I turn on in my garage so I can go work in my shorts and a t-shirt.
Chad I joined the Army because I knew the world was bigger than the little mountain community where I grew up, and I didnt want to be a rodeo stud or bale hay all my life. The Army promised to show me some of the world and it certainly kept its end of the deal there! There are places I hope I never see again, and some places I will miss, but none that I want to get back to more than home.

I feel like such a dork sometimes.... I changed out my destroyed side mirror on my 03 Sonoma today. It was going to be a quick 30 min job of popping off just enough of the plastic door panel to get to the 3 mounting bolts for the mirror. Everything was going great until I dropped my socket into the door. So my 30 min project turned into an hour and 15 min.... only to find that I could have just undone the 3 screws in the bottom of the mirror hinge, and done a partial swap.
It literally took me more time to find the right size star head screw driver than it would have taken to swap the mirror.....

Thanks for reading my humble ramblings guys! I hope this week goes swiftly so we can all spend more time with our projects !!!

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1

Last edited by McMurphy; 01-31-2012 at 11:45 PM. Reason: took a breath, had more to say
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:47 PM   #259
57truckguy

Very nice
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-05-2012, 11:12 PM   #260
ddubbs

Nice to see some Alaska people on the forum. Liking the thread. Hope to see you next summer out and about!!!!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
ddubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:25 AM   #261
McMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddubbs View Post
Nice to see some Alaska people on the forum. Liking the thread. Hope to see you next summer out and about!!!!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
ddubbs do you have a rig your are building?
If you are would like to compare notes some time!

Quote:
Very nice
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks 57truckguy !

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 02-08-2012, 12:43 AM   #262
McMurphy

Ok wow, talk about a dork...

You guys said to test fit my door when doing these rockers, so I did. I tacked the rocker in, tossed the door up there and it set right in place, no problem.
Man I rock!! so I thought~~~~
No one said to bolt it on and test open the door....

Le Sigh.

I have to undo the spot welds on the front end of the rocker, because the front bottom edge of the door catches it and the door (all bolted up this time) only opens about 9-10 inches before it binds. It shouldn't be too much of a pain to fix, just a tad more time consuming than I expected.
Getting all my practice in on the p-side so mebbe I can look like a pro when I get to the d-side.

Yeah riiiiiiight !!! LOL

Otherwise it was an easy install, was actually one of the more fun things I have done as far as welding goes. I got my cab corner in on that side as well. I will make another post with pics of how that has come along....
Attached Images

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 02-08-2012, 01:51 AM   #263
57truckguy

Duh.... usually when we said put door on we mean on the hinges

I hate to say this but the snow you posted on daves thread is as close as I've gotten to snow this year... we've virtually have had no snow and we usually get at least 25 inches or so over the winter...Only thing is this will not fill up the lakes for the summer unless we get a rainny spring.

you are getting pretty good at welding thoes panels! Are you using 22 gage wire?? or which one... I'm out of the small stuff and the 30 just burns a hole in the sheet metal.. LOL
Old 02-08-2012, 03:01 AM   #264
McMurphy

So this poor cab corner/shoulder has had to be a major training ground for me, on top of the obvious beating it took many many years ago.

I posted the pics from what it was when I found all the bondo, to what it looks like tonight after I have sanded down my very first slinging of da mud !!

weird to think the pics in date order are:
26 Nov 11
26 Dec 11
30 Dec 11
04 Feb 12
07 Feb 12

I guess that says I dont focus on any one thing for very long any more, eh?
Attached Images

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 02-08-2012, 01:58 PM   #265
ddubbs

Thumbs up Re: Not Another Rebuild Thread....

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurphy View Post
ddubbs do you have a rig your are building?
If you are would like to compare notes some time!

Thanks 57truckguy !
I have the yellow and white 68 chevy that's on airride. Didn't build it,bought it from David Neal. Just got all my porterbuilt stuff in today to start building a 72 c-10. New to the forum and don't know how to work it yet!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-08-2012, 01:59 PM   #266
ddubbs

Trucks coming along nicely!!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-08-2012, 05:46 PM   #267
flips72

looking good
flips72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:59 PM   #268
chad64chevy

that looks a whole lot better! i hate when people try to use bondo instead of fixing the metal! a light coat is one thing but when you fill holes with it thats going to far!! i had the same problem around my tail lights, had a small dent and someone desided to put 1/4-1/2" of bondo to smooth it out! it took me 10-15mins with a metal tire spoon to push it all out, it was hard to get to!

keep it up, your really doing a good job!! and if you need more practice you can come on down and do my rockers, lol!!
chad64chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:14 PM   #269
McMurphy

Quote:
Duh.... usually when we said put door on we mean on the hinges

I hate to say this but the snow you posted on daves thread is as close as I've gotten to snow this year... we've virtually have had no snow and we usually get at least 25 inches or so over the winter...Only thing is this will not fill up the lakes for the summer unless we get a rainny spring.

you are getting pretty good at welding thoes panels! Are you using 22 gage wire?? or which one... I'm out of the small stuff and the 30 just burns a hole in the sheet metal.. LOL
Yeah not much snow in my home town this season either, which normally means it will be a wet summer.
Surprisingly up here I have come to learn that Tundra, is a grassy word for Swamp....

Yes 22ga wire.
Though I need to get a block of brass or something because even with my gas turned down to 5-10 psi, I still blow holes in the sheet metal sometimes.

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Last edited by McMurphy; 02-08-2012 at 06:22 PM. Reason: wire question
Old 02-08-2012, 06:20 PM   #270
McMurphy

Quote:
I have the yellow and white 68 chevy that's on airride. Didn't build it,bought it from David Neal. Just got all my porterbuilt stuff in today to start building a 72 c-10. New to the forum and don't know how to work it yet!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Quote:
Trucks coming along nicely!!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
"on airride" ?? Not sure of the reference, sorry. Is your '68 a show car/truck?
I will be parting out a '85 GMC Sierra 3/4 ton next week, let me know if you want or need anything for your '72 there will be a ton of body and frame parts I will not be using as well as most of the interior stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flips72 View Post
looking good
Thanks Flips, I sure appreciate the time you take to look at my mess !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad64chevy View Post
that looks a whole lot better! i hate when people try to use bondo instead of fixing the metal! a light coat is one thing but when you fill holes with it thats going to far!! i had the same problem around my tail lights, had a small dent and someone desided to put 1/4-1/2" of bondo to smooth it out! it took me 10-15mins with a metal tire spoon to push it all out, it was hard to get to!

keep it up, your really doing a good job!! and if you need more practice you can come on down and do my rockers, lol!!
Thanks Chad!!
I am totally with you on the bondo. I swear to put in as much metal as I can and am only using the bondo to smooth out the welded spots and fill the pin holes.
I will be down in your neck of the woods in the next couple years, we have a rental down there in Lawton I will be getting ready to market soon after I retire. Will that be soon enough you think??

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 02-08-2012, 07:00 PM   #271
ddubbs

[QUOTE=McMurphy;5175255]"on airride" ?? Not sure of the reference, sorry. Is your '68 a show car/truck?
I will be parting out a '85 GMC Sierra 3/4 ton next week, let me know if you want or need anything for your '72 there will be a ton of body and frame parts I will not be using as well as most
You can do a Internet search for David neals 68 chevy c-10. It will probably pull up the classic trucks article on it.:metal
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-08-2012, 07:10 PM   #272
chad64chevy

lawton it 4 1/2- 5hrs. from me, but you would be closer, lol!! i'm planning on having my truck on the road by this time next year, with alot of the bodywork done! if i would have found this site a few years ago, i think i would be done with it by now! i've learned alot on here, and i put off buying stuff for my truck over the years because i didnt know what i know now! we you do head this way we will need to meet up so we can check each others trucks out in person
chad64chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:35 PM   #273
allaboutchevelles

Looking good McMurphy. Your moving right along with the metal work. Just remember the only people that dont make mistakes are the people that do nothing. I think its only a mistake if you cant correct it. Your doing a good job. keep up the good work.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:11 PM   #274
k1rodeoboater

I'm still fighting with my passenger rocker right now. The gap in the rear is perfect...but the front keeps hitting. I'm scratching my head trying to figure out what is going on that is causing it to lift up as I press the rocker into place.

no garage, no shop, limited storage space and tools....no problem.
k1rodeoboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:37 PM   #275
allaboutchevelles

I used small self tapping sheet metal screws to press down and hold the rocker down firm against the inner rocker. then I used clamps at the bottom, I guess its called the pinch weld to pull it tight and that solved my problem with mine hitting. hope that helps some.