The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-11-2011, 05:08 PM   #26
raiders3581

Re: 1 JL audio 12 w7 or 3 10" shallow mount pioneers?

Just my 2 cents. After years of buying all the MTXs and JL and kickers and such I decided to go for clarity and was turned on to line of audio products called Arc audio. I have them in my DD Honda. I love the sound. I will be outfitting my trucks with them as money allows. They are one of those companies that when you look at their spec the clearly list RMS which is what you are really paying for. They have held up great for me and I couldnt be happier. I have on 12" sub in the trunk and it out hits the W0 that I had. Any way good luck.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:16 PM   #27
tubbedII
needs more $$$

If that's the console you're going to get, keep an eye out on the classifieds. They pop-up there a lot, and given you're going to cut it up, it's probably better you buy one that's a little beat up one for much cheaper.

However, I know 4ofakind said it'll fit, but I can't see it having enough air space for a 12" W7 on it's own...I have that same console in my blazer and can take measurements if you need me to.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:25 PM   #28
Hazieview
Building Dreams out of Dimes!

Man if u could take measurements for me that would be great! I would really appreciate it! I do not know if the 12w7 will fit either. I was planning on raising the console too. Maybe that will help with the fit as well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-14-2011, 12:10 PM   #29
jimmydean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazieview View Post
That's exactly what I want to do!!!

I think this is the part I need.
http://www.classicpartsusa.com/produ...73_Truck_Parts

I could do like 4ofakind said and turn the woofer backwards or slam it towards the floor. Personally I kind of like the backwards idea...
Posted via Mobile Device
Rear facing subs work great. I did one in my Toyota with an 8" and it was solid. There should be plenty of room for a 10" in that console.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=4295210
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:28 PM   #30
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Got the measurements of the top (just remember the bottom is a little bit smaller due to the shape). The length is 21", the width is 11" and height is 9". Given this, a 12" isn't going to fit inside, and maybe a little pressed for for a 10" too given you have to consider 3/4" or more of mdf thickness.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:28 PM   #31
jimmydean

You could glass the living hell out of the inside and fit a 10" no problem. Or build a shallow enclosure inside. Man, that would look great.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

Old 06-14-2011, 09:54 PM   #32
4ofakind

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubbedII View Post
Got the measurements of the top (just remember the bottom is a little bit smaller due to the shape). The length is 21", the width is 11" and height is 9". Given this, a 12" isn't going to fit inside, and maybe a little pressed for for a 10" too given you have to consider 3/4" or more of mdf thickness.
Tubbed, thanks for the measurements. That one part will go a long way in getting Haze what he wants.

Hazieview, don't just go by the console measurements alone. Measure the space between your seats as well. Add factors of what you may want length and height wise to the end result. When others look at projects they generally look at the overall before they break down the details. Some very custom projects have looked very stock to the casual observer. Since you are going to modify the console, do as Tubbed said (and I did) look for a used / cheaper unit to start. Take your measurements. Compare results w/ woofer parameters. If space permits, plan out widening and lengthening the stock console for your needs. You can get what you want and at the same time be so subtle people will rarely notice. I pray it all works out for you.

Mal
4ofakind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:39 PM   #33
Hazieview

Talking Re: 1 JL audio 12 w7 or 3 10" shallow mount pioneers?

Well Crap! The 10" w7 is only 750 watts. Seems like I'm back to square 1. Even 2 pioneer shallow mounts put out 800 watts. Maybe I wasted everyone's time here... Sorry guys. I just can't see the 10" w7 center mount worth the money or the trouble to make the customization worth while.

I really appreciate all the information you guys gave me and have enjoyed the chat. Sorry to let you guys down. Any other ideas?

Or should I just stick with shallow mounts? I think it will be better given all the previous information.

Thanks guys!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-14-2011, 11:57 PM   #34
jimmydean

I don't know how much power you think you'll need. My setup is using 2 10" shallow mount MB Quart subs and I am only putting 250w per sub. My truck hammers, but it's designed to use as little power with the biggest bang.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

Old 06-15-2011, 01:59 AM   #35
4ofakind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazieview View Post
Well Crap! The 10" w7 is only 750 watts. Seems like I'm back to square 1. Even 2 pioneer shallow mounts put out 800 watts. Maybe I wasted everyone's time here... Sorry guys. I just can't see the 10" w7 center mount worth the money or the trouble to make the customization worth while.

I really appreciate all the information you guys gave me and have enjoyed the chat. Sorry to let you guys down. Any other ideas?

Or should I just stick with shallow mounts? I think it will be better given all the previous information.

Thanks guys!
Posted via Mobile Device
Haze,

Lets not give up yet. Right now what you are doing is jumping from idea to idea based on pieces of data. Lets look at the FACTS and make a sound decision.
It appears volume is your priority w/ clarity secondary. You WANT a twelve inch. It also appears you want the easiest installation possible.

OK, we know a 12 will NOT fit directly w/o custom work. Question 1: Do you have enough space to put a 12" between your seats? That is 12.5" total for the sub itself and another 1.5" for .75" MDF on each side. So do you have 14" between your seats (including mounts and seatbelts)? Question 2: Are you willing / able to build the custom box?

If you answer no to either 1 or 2, THEN you should consider other options. You do NOT want to cut through your bed and rear cab wall right? So that leaves Shallow mount subs or smaller subs. If you are 100% certain there is no way to get what you really want in a way you are willing to get it THEN compromise. What say you?

Mal

P.S. I know of some new small subs that pound you may be interested in. I'll tell you once you establish for certain you are NOT doing the twelve.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:52 PM   #36
tubbedII
needs more $$$

You're a good guy 4ofakind. Just to give a litte more insight on measurements, there's only about 11.5" of room between the seats if they are stock buckets. I raised my console about 4" from the floor to make it arm rest hight since the console in it's stock location sit flush with the seat bottom. I only mention that because this could give you 4 more inches of height from the 9" I gave previously.

PS, don't give up! I'd love to see this project come to life!
Old 06-15-2011, 02:47 PM   #37
jimmydean

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ofakind View Post
P.S. I know of some new small subs that pound you may be interested in. I'll tell you once you establish for certain you are NOT doing the twelve.

Keep in mind the cab of your truck is small and large subs don't do as well in small spaces. Unless you are just trying to piss off the neighbors, then get as big as you can.

I listen to some bass filled music and a tight 10" in a truck will do just fine if done properly. Also, using the console you aren't limited to shallow mounts, either.

<edit> 10" Kicker L7 would not only fit well, but would look cool and move about as much air as a 12" round. Just a thought.
Dropmember front
Dropmember rear
Corvette discs
Restored raised bed

Last edited by jimmydean; 06-15-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:31 AM   #38
Hazieview

OK I have decided not to go with the 12" JL Audio W7.

I would rather use the shallow mounts or another sort of small subwoofer. It just makes more since.

I want enough thump to where it sounds good in my truck.

I do not want it rediculously loud (raddling the neighbors windows is what my exhaust is for )

I also want it to look clean, concealed, and near stock for the most part.

With this being said I have several options I can go with. The easy setup I have found is 2 12" shallow mounts behind the seats.

However I would love to make the factory console idea work because I like things that are oringinal and that I have never seen before.

With that out of the way what do you guys think?
Old 06-18-2011, 11:15 PM   #39
4ofakind

OK,
The next step is all you. You have to get EXACT measurements of the space between AND behind both seats. We already know a twelve will not drop into a stock console, so now you have to modify the console so it will fit or make a console from scratch that looks stock. Also you may need the space behind your seats for extra volume. Here is an example from a 58 Chevy:

This one is quite complicated but you can make one similar but less complex.

Mal