The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-20-2014, 01:00 PM   #1
alexholy

1972 Chevy Shortbed

Hey everyone I'm a new member I have a 72 Shortbed and just curious as to what everyone's opinion was when it comes to lowering. I will tell you I'm think about going with 2" drop spindles and 1" lowering springs then in the rear I would like to go with 4" lowering springs since it has the coil overs. I would like to put some 18" wheels on there as well but I need some advice on the width I would like to go with 18x9's but could someone tell me who has a truck with 18's on it and what kind of room you have in your wheel wells
Thanks
Alex Holy
alexholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:25 PM   #2
trkfrk

Re: 1972 Chevy Shortbed

Welcome to the board from Vegas.

1972 C10 SWB LS1/T56 6 speed trans/4:56 posi with 5.5"-7" static drop/Boss 338 Wheels 18"x20"

My build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=424609.

My first start up http://youtu.be/R899YQ1OcjU
trkfrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 01:33 PM   #3
ochre70

Welcome from Texas. On the springs, I would either not use the 1" springs with the spindles or put some 5" springs in the back instead of the 4". The way you were talking would put the rear up in the air too much in my opinion. If you go with 5" springs in the back you'll have to put an adjustable trac bar and shock relocators at least and would probably want to do a c-notch as well. As far as which company to buy springs from, Early Classic Enterprises seems to be the most popular. I'm waiting on my 4" rear springs from them as we speak.

Oh yeah, Where are the PICS?!
Old 02-20-2014, 02:24 PM   #4
alexholy

Pictures are going to be up soon. I would like it lowered but I don't want a rake in it so that's why I was thinking maybe either drop it 3 in the front and 4 in the rear but I have also considered doing a 4 inch drop in the front and 5 in the rear I'm just trying to figure out if 18" wheels would look better with the 3/4 drop or 4/5 drop or if I need to think about going up to 20" wheels instead. Everything is stock right now so I basically have a blank canvas to work with
Old 02-20-2014, 02:44 PM   #5
Hugh Mongus

I installed the 4/6 drop kit from Hotchkiss and like it. It was easy to install and gave me the height I wanted. I also installed the rear shock relocation kit. I bought the front relocation kit but it is going to require me trimming the inner fenders so I haven't installed it yet. Here's a picture (not a great one)

Measurements are 29.5" from floor to bottom of the fender well on all four corners. The rear shock relocation kit requires you to grind the rivets and remove the factory upper shock mounts, and replace the lower shock mounts too.
Hugh Mongus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:39 PM   #6
ochre70

Come to think of it I'll have both 1" front and 5" rear drop springs for sale very soon. As in by this weekend. They are CPP brand and only have a few thousand miles on them at most. Pretty much still new. PM me if you're interested.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:45 PM   #7
Undone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Mongus View Post
I installed the 4/6 drop kit from Hotchkiss and like it. It was easy to install and gave me the height I wanted. I also installed the rear shock relocation kit. I bought the front relocation kit but it is going to require me trimming the inner fenders so I haven't installed it yet. Here's a picture (not a great one)

Measurements are 29.5" from floor to bottom of the fender well on all four corners. The rear shock relocation kit requires you to grind the rivets and remove the factory upper shock mounts, and replace the lower shock mounts too.
What tire sizes are you running in this picture with the 4/6 drop?
Undone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:37 PM   #8
Fleetline Fever

Looks good to me, not too low. I like it!
Fleetline Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:09 PM   #9
alexholy

Thanks for the great info also another question. I read if I want to lower the rear more than 4 inches I need to do a c notch kit now with that being said is it hard to install a c notch kit and will I need to relocate my rear shocks and pan hard bar? Do any of the kits come with measurements or instructions?
Old 02-26-2014, 08:21 PM   #10
hamjet

Welcome, search around, look at all the "eye candy" on here, when you see something you really like ask what they've done and get their pro's & cons.....There are alot of talented people on here...
Old 02-27-2014, 09:57 AM   #11
Hugh Mongus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undone View Post
What tire sizes are you running in this picture with the 4/6 drop?
I'm not sure. Those wheels and tires came with the truck. I will look and post the sizes. Plan is to swap them out with 20" Boss 338s.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:02 AM   #12
Hugh Mongus

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexholy View Post
Thanks for the great info also another question. I read if I want to lower the rear more than 4 inches I need to do a c notch kit now with that being said is it hard to install a c notch kit and will I need to relocate my rear shocks and pan hard bar? Do any of the kits come with measurements or instructions?
Pretty sure you don't need the c-notch unless you exceed 6" in the rear. I dropped the rear 6" and no c-notch. I haven't had any problems. The Hotchkis kit I bought was just springs. I ordered new spring retainers from Brothers or LMC (I cant remember). I am fairly sure the shock relocation kits are required for a good ride. All in all those things were easy to install.

When you start this project you might as well order new ball joints, and new poly bushings since you will be tearing into most of that stuff anyway.