The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-14-2009, 02:55 PM   #1
'81 GMC 3+3

Where are the 292 experts?

The simplest things have been not so simple when looking for items for my '81 2500 with a 292 straight 6. Take the air cleaner for example. A short sighted or unresourceful previous owner scrapped the factory air cleaner assembly when they put a new Rochester Monojet in. Now sits a 3+ inch air filter on top, fully exposed, always filthy and in need of replacement every few months.

So, which advice would you give me- Go to a K&N style and find a fit for the top neck of the single barrel, keep slogging through wrecking yards and the internet for an original OR some third option which I will be happy to entertain?

Thanks in advance fellas.
'81 GMC 3+3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:03 PM   #2
red caddy

Re: Where are the 292 experts?

While you're out sloggin' around the bone yard, look at the old forklift's and smaller tractors, Thats where you will find a carb hat that fits your carb. Most likely be sheet metal but I found a cast aluminum one on an old M-F with a 3 in inlet pipe. Score a offroad style filter canister, (I've got several new ones for trade if you can't find one) mount it opposite the battery on the fender well and connect with aluminum dryer vent hose. It's ugly but the big canister will flow more air than your L-6 can use and the filter elements last long time in your application. RED
red caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 09:32 AM   #3
Marcm

Would one off of a pre-87 F150 with a 300 work? they had the filter offset to the side if I recall correctly.
Marcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:21 PM   #4
'81 GMC 3+3

Thanks RED. They put this motor in a lot of combines, tractors and other "industrial" products.I'll keep my eye open and keep calling the tractor and implement shops. I don't know about fitment on the F150s but I can always take a tape measure to one. I'm afraid of the price when going to a longer cold-air type of set-up.
'81 GMC 3+3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:28 PM   #5
red caddy

Depending on your scrounging skills, you can put together an "off road"/ "industrial" cold air induction set up for well under $50.00. Some off road filter canisters have a "inlet" neck as well as the discharge neck and the existing hole in the core support is a good location to pick up cooler air, 'specially if you find the later model plastic "turn lock" adapter for the factory snorkle hole, found on lots of forrestry dept. crew cabs and suburbans. (or you can cut a hole in the existing plastic difuser and RTV in a piece of 3 in.thinwall PVC)

Don't overlook the rental yards in your area,as well as the state and county garage's (a box of donuts goes a long way...) they can be a good source for odd parts and used stuff from the sluice boxes, hydro mining rigs, and portable generators. (I lived in Grants pass, back in the '80's and built up a monster scrounging network.) Happy hunting.

RED (Fabricobblers rule)
red caddy is offline   Reply With Quote