The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-08-2016, 08:47 PM   #1
sexychevy

Smile my 1972 c10 introduction and custom rear upper shock mount crossmember

So it has been roughly 3 years that I have been restoring my dads 1972 chevrolet c10 stepside shortbox. It has been a long journey to get where I am now but I still have a long way to go. I have rebuilt the inline 250 see link for first startup video ----> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shTKMdJTJsU
the muncie sm465 has been taken apart clean and put back together was in great shape. The cab has been rebuilt and my latest focus has been on the frame.
As soon as the complete tear down finished and the cab rebuild was near being completed I sandblasted the frame and primed it with amazing zinc enriched primer and then coated the areas that didn't need any work with black epoxy paint. The frame work is coming along great, frame rails have been replaced, and my most recent success story is how great my completely custom made form scratch rear upper shock cross member came out. So without further ado the cross member.
PS: If fair amount of interest is shown in this build I will keep you guys posted with much more updates as I have pictures of almost everything I have done Thanks...
ENJOY

Name:  20160808_180122.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  34.7 KB

Name:  20160808_175438.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  34.5 KB

Name:  20160808_193927.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  53.2 KB

Name:  20160808_194015.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  49.2 KB

Name:  20160808_193945.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  52.4 KB
sexychevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 09:31 PM   #2
rsgt

Re: my 1972 c10 introduction and custom rear upper shock mount crossmember

Nice job! Lets see more pictures.
rsgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:07 PM   #3
sexychevy

Here you can see that I have made a semi flat bottom to the cab. I covered the inside on the area that will no longer be accessible with por 15. Also if you're wonder how the cab is place in these pictures. It is sitting on the firewall and the underneath is visible. Also if you know the cabs very well you will know that the cab support rails are higher up than the bottom of the rocker panels so these filler panels are welded on the side of the cab support rails and to the bottom of the rocker panel. Might be hard to see in the pictures but there are holes drilled all along the lower side of the filler panels and there is also an opening closest to the cab corners to allow water to drain during acceleration if any were to get into there. If you have any questions feel free I would love to give a helping hand to anyone that shares my passion.

Note I don't have the fanciest metal shop and the reason why the filler panel holes are so percale spaced is because they are pieces or shelves found in retail stores and we're already drilled haha. Theres my secret lol enjoy
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2016, 10:23 PM   #4
sexychevy

In this post you guys can see the frame rail work that I have done. The tops and bottoms of the frame rails were in rough shape due to the rear shock crossmember rusted out and spread rust to the main frame rails. What I did was I made a cardboard template of the bad metal then transfered and cut to new metal then vise gripped and torched the new metal to the shape and curves of the old metal then cut out the old metal and welded in the new. Hope I didn't lose you haha. As you can see I'm working outside because I'm doing this build in a 12x12 foot shed with a Woodstove and although it makes things tough it's still doable.

If you checked out my first start up video of the Chevy 250 l6 linked in my first post please subscribe so I can you those who are interested with some videos on YouTube instead of just pics. Thanks guys

Enjoy
Attached Images

Old 08-29-2016, 07:41 PM   #5
sexychevy

Here is the completed crossmember primed with zinc primer then epoxy primer.
In the last pic you can also the old rusted out crossmember. Enjoy
Attached Images