The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-11-2020, 10:52 PM   #1
Justin71105

Wheel center bore conundrum

I have a 64 C10 I have been slowly getting together and have come to a wheel selection.

Currently has the front end out of a 74 C10 with disc brakes, well the cross member is the only thing I ended up using, replaced all steering and suspension after the fact with new parts for a 74.

I decided to use a set of the cp4r-6 rotors for the front to keep the truck 6 lug....looking back should have probably went with the 74's 5 lug rotors and just replaced my rear axles with 5x5 as well.

Measured the front hubs and they are 78mm approximately, rear end is the stock 64' as best I can tell.

Have all new rear brake hardware and used all 64 parts, drums, shoes, springs, lines etc.

I have read the 64 runs wheels with a 108mm hub bore and the rally's on it measure that. However the rear hub measures around 89mm. Been reading and reading some more on the lug vs hub centric wheels and balancing them and what not and decided to just ask.

My question is can I run 108mm hub bore wheels all the way around without issue or should I find wheels with closer center bore to what my hubs actually are....or just get some of the hub rings.

Pictured is the wheels that came with the truck on the rear, going to test fit fronts tomorrow. Want to run a set of Cragar Soft 8's 17" 6x5.5 and they come in 108mm center bore.

Sorry for the long post, wanting to order some wheels and wanting to only buy once If I can help it and not have to swap to 5x5.
Attached Images

Last edited by Justin71105; 09-11-2020 at 11:12 PM.
Justin71105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 08:03 AM   #2
The Rocknrod

Re: Wheel center bore conundrum

What was the middle thing again?
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 08:15 AM   #3
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

I've run wheels with bores bigger than the hubs for many, many years. Just keep your torque correct and no issues.

The also make spacers that go around the hub thst filld the space between the hub and wheel. They are custom specific, so you'll need hubs outer diameter and wheel bore size to order them.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 09:14 AM   #4
Justin71105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
I've run wheels with bores bigger than the hubs for many, many years. Just keep your torque correct and no issues.

The also make spacers that go around the hub that fills the space between the hub and wheel. They are custom specific, so you'll need hubs outer diameter and wheel bore size to order them.

I read about the spacers last night, looks like they are very cheap so will try without rings to begin with and if I get a some vibrations order some.

Looks like they are known as hub centric rings, would need 108 to 88.7mm for rear and 108 to 78.1mm for front.

Even with this small headache of wheels, don't think I will regret power disc brakes when I am driving it.
Attached Images

Justin71105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 10:57 AM   #5
SCOTI

The hub sizing should only be a critical factor for 'hub centric' wheels.

Some wheels are hub-centric (usually heavy duty or other). Most others are lug centric using the lugs/lug-nuts for centering & seating the wheels properly.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote