The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > Welcome Area

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-17-2017, 08:21 PM   #1
Eightball1978

72 C10 highlander

What's up,
My name is Asa, I've found forum while looking for ideas to figure out causes of problems I've had in past. I learned to drive in a 72 C10 that belonged to my grandparents. When I was 18 I got a 69 and every since then I've never been a whole year without having a 67-72 C10 I've had 18. 73-80 I've had about 14. The truck I have now is a 72 LWB Highlander optionThat I bought to replace the one I learned to drive in after it was stolen and carried to scrapyard. I arrived to late and in Alabama after so many years you don't need title.
My problem is a popping sound in front steering, before I replaced pitman arm you could see the center link hitting cross member when truck lurches forward when coming out of park or reverse to drive. I've replaced pitman, idler,2 TRE (both inner) the tie rods were all practically new. After putting truck together steering was a lot better but I'm still getting a pop I have no idea what it is I do know ball joints are tight and the center link isn't moving it's driving me crazy.
Eightball1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 10:29 PM   #2
mickeykreg

Re: 72 C10 highlander

Howdy Asa,
Dang you've had a lot of rad trucks....post some pics dude! I use BBcode on flickr and it works great, nearly unlimited storage.

Not sure on what kind of pop your dealing with, but is it related to the driveline? Carrier bearing???
'80 SRW C35 - 355/700R4/4:11/2.5-3/DD
'77 Cheyenne K5 - Roller cam 355/NV4500/205/4:88's/35's/DD

rust repair on the '77
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=740291
mickeykreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 11:35 PM   #3
Eightball1978

Re: 72 C10 highlander

Hey Mickey thanks for replying.
I have had a few I've always had that C10 bug. Only a few of the one I really liked I have pictures of they are in close somewhere I'll post ones I have. I had a friend that bought and sold cars at actions turn a few bolts on them and take them back at tax time. Since I worked with him I'd go to the actions and his friends junkyard, so they weren't hard to find. I wish I'd keep a few of them, I never paid a lot of attention to options list until recently when I bought the one I have now.
But the popping was caused by pitman arm letting just enough slack for center link to hit crossmember. But I have replaced it and everything else except the 2 otter TRE. I don't have slack in the ball joints. It didn't do it right when I got it put back together until the next day it's definitely on front steering or suspension I wish it was hanger bearing. I didn't think about it till just now but I'm going to make a video and post tomorrow. I found this forum while trying to figure it out but all I've read so far is something I've already tryed. I checked length and overall width of replacement parts but same within less of 1/8th and I looked over front end truck hasn't been wrecked or anything changed. Anyway I'll post my pictures and video tomorrow thanks again for responding
Eightball1978 is offline   Reply With Quote