The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-24-2010, 10:28 PM   #1
blazerboy_4life
70Custom10

Question Lucky me! 305 Rebuild ** Update** Now ive scored a cheap 350

So I recently made a friend who is currently enrolled in the local hotrod institute. We got on the subject of my 70 SWB and I told him I was going to be doing a rebuild soon. It just so happens that theyre looking for a donor motor for the upcoming performance class in january. Lucky me they are going to do all of the motor work for me for free all I have to pay for is parts. Id like to put a cam in with a little more lobe to it and maybe some roller rockers and such. Its currently got the stock steel manifold and 2bbl rochester as well with HEI. My questin i guess is what would you guys recomend for brands for these parts and what else should I redo/replace while im in there. I dont want to completely throw fuel economy out the window but what fun is a 2wd street truck like this if it doesnt get up and scoot right!? Is that 2bbl worth rebuilding performance wise or should I make the switch over to a nice edelbrock 600 & manifold? Im not going to be doing much with the truck. Its going to be my daily driver and occasionally pulling a small trailer with my quad and 3 wheeler on it. Im not terribly good with the math on the internals of an engine so dont get too complicated or at least dumb it up a bit for me. Haha thanks guys.

oh and if it makes a difference Im running a th350 Trans (Id like for it to be a 700r4 soon) and rear ratio is believe is 3.73

Last edited by blazerboy_4life; 01-10-2011 at 12:48 PM. Reason: new engine**
blazerboy_4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:35 PM   #2
DaSchlange

Re: Lucky me! 305 Rebuild

Dude that's awesome! Do they have another team wanting to do the same possibly?! haha
DaSchlange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:47 PM   #3
blazerboy_4life
70Custom10

I think they do it twice a year but normally one of the guys in the class has a motor to work on. The friend I made has a rolling 64 with no motor. That's where I come in! Im stoked to get it done!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-25-2010, 10:57 PM   #4
raycow

If you are getting a free rebuild, and care at least somewhat about performance, buy a 350 core and let the class rebuild that. The parts cost will be the same as for the 305.

Ray

Last edited by raycow; 10-25-2010 at 11:01 PM.
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:10 PM   #5
HOGDADDY

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycow View Post
if you are getting a free rebuild, and care at least somewhat about performance, buy a 350 core and let the class rebuild that. The parts cost will be the same as for the 305.

Ray
+2
HOGDADDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:19 PM   #6
blazerboy_4life
70Custom10

I cant find anybody around here with a 350 that isnt way overpriced or isnt already built to the gills... What I want is a 400 Small Block mated to a th400 but that seems even more unrealistic to find.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:21 AM   #7
stich626
Account Suspended

I'd go hit up a late 80's monty for the alum 4 barrel intake..
a q jet will get better mpg than a 2brl
and a mild cam..
flat tops, and go..
have them do some bowl work to the heads,
stich626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:43 AM   #8
blazerboy_4life
70Custom10

Quote:
Originally Posted by stich626 View Post
I'd go hit up a late 80's monty for the alum 4 barrel intake..
a q jet will get better mpg than a 2brl
and a mild cam..
flat tops, and go..
have them do some bowl work to the heads,
I think that's the first time I've heard a Q jet called by its actual name. Is there a reason I keep hearing quadrajunk? Or, is it just that those people don't know how to tune them?I might be trading a radiator for an edelbrock intake tomorrow I just need to find someone willing to take the 600 holly off my hands for a good 1406 edelbrock now.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-26-2010, 08:47 AM   #9
mrhino
Account Suspended

Iv built a 305 for a Iroc that i was restoring a few years ago, I put some very nice tricks in it. got 325hp of power out it. But I wouldn't do it again. for the same money and the same tricks would have gotten me 400 or more out of a bigger engine. find a nice 350 from a scrap yard, craigslist or somewhere there out there, it will be worth it. try to find a 87 or newer thay have one piece main seals, center bolt valvecovers and if you snag one from a camaro or T/a it should be a roller cam engine. but if you insist on that 305 My advise would be to use a smaller cam than what most people would suggest for a small block. 305's have smaller bore than the other small blocks. and just dont respond to bigger cams and carbs like bigger engines do.
mrhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:24 PM   #10
blazerboy_4life
70Custom10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhino View Post
Iv built a 305 for a Iroc that i was restoring a few years ago, I put some very nice tricks in it. got 325hp of power out it. But I wouldn't do it again. for the same money and the same tricks would have gotten me 400 or more out of a bigger engine. find a nice 350 from a scrap yard, craigslist or somewhere there out there, it will be worth it. try to find a 87 or newer thay have one piece main seals, center bolt valvecovers and if you snag one from a camaro or T/a it should be a roller cam engine. but if you insist on that 305 My advise would be to use a smaller cam than what most people would suggest for a small block. 305's have smaller bore than the other small blocks. and just dont respond to bigger cams and carbs like bigger engines do.
That's good info personal experience is best! Thanks mrhino
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-30-2010, 10:59 AM   #11
blazerboy_4life
70Custom10

Talking Re: Lucky me! 305 Rebuild

I tracked down a 70's 350 4 bolt main for $100 that I going to try to pick up. I think Im going to have him build into a stroker. By my understanding now is they will do whatever I want so I figured now is the time to throw in a nice 383 Stroker... Why Not if they're pickin up half the bill! Anybody built one of those motors? Is there a lot of $ involved in that parts wise or is it just a lot of time?
Old 10-30-2010, 11:50 AM   #12
mrhino
Account Suspended

great score on the 350. it will be a better choice. They make it nice and easy now, with crank kits. for stroker engines. just buy a kit from summit or jegs and thats about it. Personally for me It would depend on what Im tiring to do with the engine. and what my budget is. Sure its cool to say I have a 383 stroker, but is it what best serves your needs. You have to ask yourself where I would get the most bang for my buck. for instance if you dont have enough money to buy a good set of heads or a good intake, carb, headers, or don't even spend enough time picking the right camshaft, to most effectively take advantage of the the extra stroke. then it might be a mute point. I guess what Im trying to say is: Spend your money where is best served. Do some research on what you want to build. Do you want a fast drag engine, or a strong bottom end stump puller or a good street engine that is mixture of both?(each engine build is different) and then build that engine. but if you can afford it, by all means do it. cause it is cool to say 383 stroker. just my opinion.

Last edited by mrhino; 10-30-2010 at 11:53 AM.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:57 PM   #13
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

You'll be waaayyyyyy happier with that 350. Whether you stroke it or not. Good luck!

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:34 PM   #14
llowlife

Do you have a dollar figure in mind. Its hard to recommend a build without at least an inkling of finances. Is the 350 whole or just the block?

72 short step w/ 388 /4l80e/ and 3.08 gears.
llowlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:54 PM   #15
blazerboy_4life
70Custom10

Quote:
Originally Posted by llowlife View Post
Do you have a dollar figure in mind. Its hard to recommend a build without at least an inkling of finances. Is the 350 whole or just the block?
He said the 350 is 80% complete. Im still waiting for him to get back to me with what is missing. I have the complete 305 though so if theres anything i need i should be covered between the two. Im not sure on how much i want to spend... like i said i havent built a motor in a long time and i dont even remember what all i did to the last one. Id like to keep it around $500 but that never seems to work out. Im sure i wont be able to do a stoker for $500 too.

@ mrhino- Im looking to build a good middle ground street engine. Id like some top end but personally I need some throw back in the seat when you get on it too. I wanna be able to cruise at 70 down the highway but still pull a car on a trailer if i need to.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:02 PM   #16
blazerboy_4life
70Custom10

ok if im reading this right the stroker kits that i have found run about $4,000. I had no idea that they were so damn spendy! I may have to rethink my build plans or sell some toys to make the stroker happen...
Old 10-31-2010, 11:02 PM   #17
blazerboy_4life
70Custom10

Further research turned up this. looks like $500-ish IS possible!

http://www.superchevy.com/technical/...kit/index.html
Old 11-01-2010, 12:20 AM   #18
raycow

Jeeze! Are you pricing them made out of titanium?
http://www.rpmmachine.com/chevy-sb-menu.shtml

Btw, I am not recommending this particular one. I did a search on google and this just happens to be the first one I clicked on. If you want to put some time into the search I am sure you can come up with a lower price than this.

Ray

Last edited by raycow; 11-01-2010 at 12:21 AM.
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:04 AM   #19
mrhino
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerboy_4life View Post
He said the 350 is 80% complete. Im still waiting for him to get back to me with what is missing. I have the complete 305 though so if theres anything i need i should be covered between the two. Im not sure on how much i want to spend... like i said i havent built a motor in a long time and i dont even remember what all i did to the last one. Id like to keep it around $500 but that never seems to work out. Im sure i wont be able to do a stoker for $500 too.

@ mrhino- Im looking to build a good middle ground street engine. Id like some top end but personally I need some throw back in the seat when you get on it too. I wanna be able to cruise at 70 down the highway but still pull a car on a trailer if i need to.
to be honest $500 isn't a lot to work with. if thats truly what you want to spend then I would forget the stroker kit. you'll eat most of that up if not all, in new piston rings, engine bearings, camshaft, lifters, oil pump, timing chain, gears, gaskets, and at least 9 qts of oil and 2 filters. and I doubt a 80% engine for a $100 will have anything good in it. Don't mean to rain on your parade, but those things I mentioned are necessities. even givin the block has a good bore and the crank is usable. If the engine is good and has just been rebuilt, I would spend my money on a good set of heads first, they will gain you more power, more torque then a any stroke kit will.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:34 AM   #20
hugger6933

please for the sake of hp! Look for some vortec heads. They will give an average of 40-60 hp gain over most production heads that your 350 will already have. You will have to buy a vortec stlye intake pattern manifold but you needed a 4bbl intake anyway. a 383 with vortec and even a mild to moderate cam rpm type intake[with air gap] and a good carb could put you in the 425 hp range . Lots have done this and are very happy. Many magizines have done vortec buildups and dyno charts. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:46 AM   #21
Beat68CST

305 Heads have a small 58CC chamber, which is great on a 350 short block, It should bump the compression up I'd say around half a number, you just need to get atleast a 1.94/1.50 valve combo for it to breath and a little port work.
Beat68CST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:46 AM   #22
blazerboy_4life
70Custom10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat68CST View Post
305 Heads have a small 58CC chamber, which is great on a 350 short block, It should bump the compression up I'd say around half a number, you just need to get atleast a 1.94/1.50 valve combo for it to breath and a little port work.
I put 305 heads on my last 350 build for my '71 and that truck ran like a Raped Ape. I put a Weind intake edelbrock 600 and an rv cam and otherwise everything else was stock. Seems like a good method. This time I have the chance to do it all right and plan it all so I want to make sure I get the most out of what I have.

Ive heard A LOT of very mixed information about Vortec Heads... What are the pros and cons?
Old 11-12-2010, 02:01 AM   #23
blazerboy_4life
70Custom10

Ok a little update. I just came across a Cummins 4bt and it looks like I might be able to get a hell of a deal on it. If it all works out I think ill be shifting gears to that cummins and ill just have that 305 mildly built and throw it into my 46 CJ2A. On that note has anyone ever taken on this conversion and put a 4bt cummins into a C10? What all should i consider when doing a swap like this? I came across one thread on here that had a link to a 12 valve 6bt put into a 72 (link below). Also if you did manage to apply said motor to your sweet old truck lets see some pics!

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/for...ght=1972+chevy
Old 01-10-2011, 12:45 PM   #24
blazerboy_4life
70Custom10

Ok its been a while but I finally tracked down an engine! I just scored a 350 that's been bored .40 over for $125 complete carb to crank. Just in time too. Im only a few weeks away from the hotrod institute starting the build on it. Now id like to build a stroker out of it but does anybody know specificly what machine work needs to be done to build a 383? Im mostly worried about it being bored .40 over already.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-10-2011, 12:49 PM   #25
allengator

For a budget build made by students, I wouldnt go 383...
The block has do be notched in cylinders to clear the rods and the rotating assembly has to be VERY well balanced.

For the price of the parts, I would much rather go Vortec heads on a 350 with flat top pistons...

JMHO

1980 Chevy SWB Pickup (build thread)

1951 Chevy Sedan Delivery
2004 Chevy Tahoe Z71
2011 Harley Davidson Street Glide
2018 Silverado Z71 Crew Cab
allengator is offline   Reply With Quote