The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-28-2020, 05:00 PM   #1
CHEVYRULS

Post 1970 Chevy C10 Suspension rebuild

I am in the process of rebuilding the complete Front suspension for a 1970 C10, at this time the body is not on the truck, the factory suspension front & rear has been removed plus the frame has been sandblasted.

At this time I'm installing a TCI Trailing Arms kit and will be painting the Frame once everything is fitted.

I have seen many variations on the front rebuild for the C10 but im undecided which way to go. Complete suspension Bolt on or new control arms

with that said i will be installing a 400sb and a 700R with a rebuilt 12 bolt posi.

Components i do have is a set of 1971/72 2.5 drop spindles from classic performance, i was going to use these but as i look at this project I'm wondering is the bolt on power steering for a gear box better than the rack?

is it better to install a complete front suspension or go with replacing the control arms.

I would hate to piece this front end together and then it adds up to the complete front suspension cost.

what is important is drive ability/handling.
CHEVYRULS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 06:04 PM   #2
yysenhimer

Re: 1970 Chevy C10 Suspension rebuild

IMO once you get into it you may end up replacing a lot more than you thought when you started and complete kits may not be as complete as you think.
yysenhimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 06:32 PM   #3
CHEVYRULS

I only have a Frame and a rear axel, all the original suspension has been remove.

Im starting with the bare frame and working up from there.
Old 01-29-2020, 02:07 PM   #4
68Stepbed

Just complete it with the TCI front end as well!! Driveabilty and great handling will be included!!

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 02:46 PM   #5
CHEVYRULS

that's a nice chevy p/u, what is the gears you running and tire size? i was looking to put as much tire in the back with a 70 axel it will be a little shorter than the 72, im trying to eliminate the guess work.
Old 01-30-2020, 10:00 AM   #6
68Stepbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEVYRULS View Post
that's a nice chevy p/u, what is the gears you running and tire size? i was looking to put as much tire in the back with a 70 axel it will be a little shorter than the 72, im trying to eliminate the guess work.
For the past few years, I've been running a 4.11 rear gear with the overdrive transmission, but I'm getting ready to swap out to 3.42 gears. I'm hoping to get some longer legs in first gear.

Also, I'm running 18x9.5 wheels with 275/35/18 tires on all four corners. My backspacing number won't help you as much since I have the wider 72 rearend.

Old 01-30-2020, 10:09 AM   #7
68Stepbed

Quote:
I only have a Frame and a rear axel, all the original suspension has been remove.

Im starting with the bare frame and working up from there.
I jumped the gun and responded before I actually read this post, but my comment still stands true. By the time you track down good suspension parts,order all the bushings, bearings, and all the parts to rebuild everything, you'll be just much into the project as just buying a complete suspension kit.

The TCI Engineering kit is pretty much complete minus a few details like brake lines and steering shaft and joints. It's also fully bolt in. No welding required! Just drilling a few holes is it!

Old 01-30-2020, 11:01 AM   #8
CHEVYRULS

the front clip is VERY NICE,
one question i wanted to ask is where is the shifter on that 68 pickup? my truck was a 4 Speed, so i was thinking maybe a Long throw Lokar Shifter, but that could be a problem if something bumps it into reverse.
what size Brake disk are you running on the front and back, original?
Old 01-31-2020, 10:59 AM   #9
68Stepbed

Quote:
the front clip is VERY NICE,
one question i wanted to ask is where is the shifter on that 68 pickup? my truck was a 4 Speed, so i was thinking maybe a Long throw Lokar Shifter, but that could be a problem if something bumps it into reverse.
what size Brake disk are you running on the front and back, original?
I have a 16" Lokar shifter. One of the advantages of Lokar is it has a neutral lockout, so it can't be accidentally bumped into reverse.

As for brakes, I'm running 13" rotors with 6 piston calipers from Wilwood in front and 12" rotors, dual piston D52 Wilwood calipers using a CaptainFab brake bracket kit.

Old 01-31-2020, 07:28 PM   #10

I do have a question 4 u.....what do U want out of this truck? Is racing what u want? Daily driver? Big boy toy 2 have fun with? No wrong answer but U gotta decide that. 1 thing u need 2 realize. It's all about the budget (money) u have and what u want. Matt's set up is nice, not gonna argue that. Well made here n the U.S.There are also kits from ride tech and qa1. They are good as well. Made here in the U.S. these 2 have some things n common. They use the stock front crossmember. U will have to open up the coil spring pockets for the coil overs they both provide. The tci is its own front kit. They all have videos u can watch/review that will show u what u get and whats needed to make it happen. Willwood makes brake kits for the spindles u have. They will come with all the parts u need to put together minus the hard lines. That motor u have is a good and sometimes over looked power maker. The 700r works well with 3.42 to 3.73 gear rear ends. There are quick ratio gear boxes available now that rival the rack and pinion. I can tell u which ever 1 of these u get, u wont b un happy. They will all handle better than stock. Ride better 2. Ride height is adjustable with some wrench turning. U can change the ride firmness with a turn of a dial. Just b ready to spend some time getting it all together which ever 1 u chose. Best of luck . would like 2 c how it all turns out 4 u. So...do some posting and your experience of it all.
3767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 01:46 PM   #11
CHEVYRULS

I appreciate the information, i been working on the frame and applying KBS to the rear suspension. Ugh, its a learning process, just remember when applying the metal sealer its best to use a little xylene when applying to avoid the little pin pits and drips. I had to go over a few parts which slows me down.

At this point i been welding up some of the excess holes in the frame and prepping the Metal, its a slow process. Next week i'm off to pickup the 12 bolt, and by then i should have the components ready to install the rear axel.

the plan for the truck is to make this thing handle like the wifes honda, LOL. i plan on cruzing the wheels off and even considering hitting the POWER Tour. i would consider driving one of these road course's to see how it handles, after this much work i better not trash the ride.

i will get some pic loaded up this week

Peace
Old 02-05-2020, 09:45 AM   #12
68Stepbed

Quote:
I appreciate the information, i been working on the frame and applying KBS to the rear suspension. Ugh, its a learning process, just remember when applying the metal sealer its best to use a little xylene when applying to avoid the little pin pits and drips. I had to go over a few parts which slows me down.

At this point i been welding up some of the excess holes in the frame and prepping the Metal, its a slow process. Next week i'm off to pickup the 12 bolt, and by then i should have the components ready to install the rear axel.

the plan for the truck is to make this thing handle like the wifes honda, LOL. i plan on cruzing the wheels off and even considering hitting the POWER Tour. i would consider driving one of these road course's to see how it handles, after this much work i better not trash the ride.

i will get some pic loaded up this week

Peace
The TCI suspension will certainly make it handle!!

https://youtu.be/lIyM67O3f7s

https://youtu.be/iVEm6iLW8ZI

https://youtu.be/5dQFSRWwwOE

https://youtu.be/9W4Jkh2XGCI

https://youtu.be/pbi4zhy-TBs