The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-23-2017, 12:23 PM   #1
reb162

Front Inner Wheel Seal Part Number Question

I'm rebuilding the front end of my 1971 C10 (2WD) with disc brakes and I bought all the front suspension and wheel components from Rockauto. Based on Rockauto and double checking the part numbers in the forum, I purchased SKF 19984 Inner Wheel Seals. Before I installed them with the new bearings, I always double check against my old parts for proper size, etc. The old inner wheel bearing had no inner lip (Right on pic below) and the SKF 19984 has a lip. Is this correct...maybe my old one wasn't correct or the new one with lip is simply a better fitting part? Anyone remember if theirs had a lip? The new seal seams to fit tighter around the spindle as well, but I expect that with a new seal.
Attached Images

Old 04-24-2017, 09:24 PM   #2
reb162

Re: Front Inner Wheel Seal Part Number Question

Bump...I still have not installed waiting on the advice of this great group...I 'd prefer not to get this all together and have top tear it back out.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:54 PM   #3
Pro299

Long time lurker here, but since no one is chiming in, I'll comment. Assuming it is the correct part, the lip is not a problem. The inner seal with lip must be typical these days. My 72 has been on the lift for a couple of months while I replace everything in the front end. The seals I got look just like your new ones. They fit fine and probably are easier to get seated straight than the old style. (I've only installed one so far because I'm still cleaning 45 years of crud from the frame rail on the passenger side before paint and reassembly.)

Hope this helps your project along.
Pro299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:13 PM   #4
reb162

Thanks for the info and confirmation! I'll hopefully get them installed this weekend!
Old 04-26-2017, 09:27 PM   #5
hayhauler71

Different seal manufactures have different designs. If you put the seal on the spindle and fits snug to seal out dirt and water good to go. If the seal fits in the rotor the way it should all is good.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:38 AM   #6
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Who knows when and if that seal was replaced in the 40ish years that rig has been in service. So the "factory" seal might just be a replacement from way back when.

Like hayhauler said... test fit it onto the spindle and if it fits snug on the spindle and there are no issues on it fitting in the rotor... use it.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote