The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-17-2017, 09:46 PM   #1
Caustik

In the Red 69 GMC

Hello all, After years of wanting a truck of this vintage I was finally able to acquire one. Traded a friend some Tech work for it on the grounds it wouldn't end up in the crusher. It took a couple weeks to get home, time and weather made things difficult.

Any way here is what I started with, Its a 69 long bed, that his son purchased for parts 20 some odd years ago. The last 15 years it spent its life sitting in a corner of his property. I agreed with out hesitation to a truck I hadn't seen.

This is the first day I was able to make it out and get a look at it. considering the conditions and its age, knowing hte history its not as bad as I had thought.

Caustik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:03 PM   #2
Caustik

Re: In the Red 69 GMC

After finally being able to pick it up after the mud had dried some and there was time to make the trip I made it home. Problem one, I have a "normal" 2 car garage that is full of things from 3 people, Space is tight. I had to cut the rear bumper off just to fit it inthe garage and have enough room to squeeze around it.

On the trailer with my 355 Solid axle S10, with a few other mods.

After spending a bout an hour shuffling it off the trailer while blocking off the end of the cul-du-sac. It made it into the hole.

With the door shut, I was left with 8" in the rear 4" up front and barely a foot down either side. For the next week I spent a few hours each night pulling the bed off and stripping the rest of the body from the chassis.

The next portion of work is something that hits a nerve with a few people, so if you're one of those people, sorry.

The saying "happy wife happy life" is being applied to this. I want the other half to be able to drive this, from which stemmed a few issues that need to be sorted. First most obvious the length, She isnt a big car person, and I didn't really fight for it so chop chop.

Old 04-17-2017, 10:13 PM   #3
Caustik

Took a break from grinding and welding and tried my had with a hammer and dolly, I have never done this before, so this was a test and a learning experiment. I dont like to spend money on something that I may not have to, and since these grills seem to be hard to find in good shape, and the aftermarket is expensive I spent a few hours working this one. Not to shabby for not really having an idea how to move metal around like this.

Before

After I stopped to deliver a Motorcycle to a friend after redoing his charging system.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:33 PM   #4
Caustik

Frame work continuing

I have always wanted to build something on air bags, and since I am going through the work of shortening it and doing all the air ride setup, Might as well make it get as low as possible. I was looking at the drop members, and they are really nice, with a corresponding price tag. After doing some research I came across many articles and threads about "Z'ing" the frame, seemed simple enough.

After measuring many times, and many times more, Marked and started cutting. This was a 3" rise, and 1" forward, like others have done it was right at 20 degrees.

Some gusset work

and a " not so fishy fish plate"

After another week of work and a day off got the front take care of.

As of right now this is where I am at. Waiting for a notch kit for the rear, after all the work on the front I dont want to build a notch from scratch, so I am going to spend a few doll hairs on a pre-cut notch, the time saved is worth the price IMO. Once I get the notch in I will be starting with a 4 link.

The power plant for this at the current time unless things change is a 6.0 LQ9/ 4l80 combo. wheels are going to be a 20x9 front and a 20x10 rear, Since I have some free wheels in this size that will work for mock up and until I buy the ones I want. Ultimately I am going to try and do all the body work myself, replacing panels isn't a super big deal, but removing dents is another story. should be fun.

Speaking of body work. picked up a set of bedsides already shortened nearly completed, need some work but cheaper than buying re-pops.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:19 PM   #5
Caustik

Spent some time working on the grill at work while I had some down time. Its a little better, got it mostly strait and cleaned alot of the build up off of it. I dont think I can get it to perfect condition, but its not bad so now I just need to figure out the best way to go about bringing back the shine.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:45 PM   #6
bs46488

Looking good.

Subb'ed to see the progress.

1970 Nova: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=708161
bs46488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 03:13 PM   #7
Caustik

Went and looked at a cab today, worked out a trade with the guy to pull the engine out of the truck and put it in his C30 Wrecker. Over all its better than mine, the floor is pretty solid, and the cab supports are good inthe back, the front need to be replaced, I ordered those for the cab I have already so it should be minimal work to get it in an acceptable to use.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:17 PM   #8
Caustik

Also snapped a pic of the RPO sheet so my buddy can make me a reproduction just because. figure might as well post it up.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:13 AM   #9
Caustik

Been a crap shoot for time lately, I worked a trade with a buddy, Pull a 327 out and put a 406 in a 69 c30 Wrecker, that was alot more problems than I was expecting knowing GM's Lego setup. Took all my days off for about a month to get everything done. in the end I got a cab in better shape.

First a Picture of the work.

The cab, complete with doors, A/C,glass, and interior.

After that was said and done, I got some time to work on the rear suspension. got my links setup, and bag placement sorted. still need to make a panhard bar.

Ended up sleeving the uppers and welding one end solid to keep the bars from twisting. Thinking about making some stiffeners for the under side as well.

Needed to clean the garage since it was a chaotic mess trying to work in. so I rolled it outside, slapped the rolling stock on it, and the bed. sat and stared at it for a little bit then shoved it back in the hole.

Also picked up an engine, me and a buddy originally pulled this for his S10, but planes changed and I made an offer. its a 6.0 from a 2000 2500, opened it up today at work to look it over, and put new gaskets on it, it looked really good insid, so I'm just going to run it as is for now.

Now I just need to get a trans, I have a TH350 that I am going to use for mockup, its arround the same size as a 4l60 so I can compensate for the small differences. Hopeing to set the cab on it this weekend.

If any images are wonky I'm fixing them
Old 07-27-2017, 08:26 PM   #10
Caustik

Got the engine and tans mounted up and positioned how I like it, finished cupping the lower arms, and got them put on, cycled the front a few times to check everything out, and it all looks pretty good. tossed the rad support on and looked at the grill that took so many hours to straighten out.

I am using 72 BBC frame plates that I drilled to use in conjunction with a set of S10 swap mounts I got with the engine.

It took me a long time to get the gril to a point where it is now, but I am going to leave it before I mess it up. its not show quality but for a driver its acceptable
Old 07-31-2017, 12:50 AM   #11
Caustik

Set the cab down, tossed on the fenders and did some cutting. Glad I got the new cab, high hump left me with no drive train fitment issues, going to be able to keep the stock floor unmolested.
Had to cut a fairly large portion of the inside of the fenders out, including 2 of the hood hinge bolt locations. I need another 2" to lay frame, which puts me in a bind with keeping all the A/C stuff, the blower box is in the way, where I am at right now there is about 1/4 inch of room between the tire and box, motor hits about 1/2 inch before that. Looking at options for a blower with a shorter motor housing, but am thinking that where its at is going to be the final travel setup. Another issue I noticed is with the Z cut, the steering shaft is hitting the upper control arm at 1 inch below ride height, an pretty easy fix but just putting it out there.

All in all I'm stoked with how it has been going, and am more than happy with the outcome so far. I plan to drive this as much as I can, including a cross country trip to see my parents.

So here she sits after today's fun, going to do some of the body work while is sitting on the frame then blow it all a part and go over everything and finish welding and cleaning things up.

Fenders haven't been trimmed in this pic, resting on the fender skin

As High as I could get it with my little tiny vintage air compressor.

Last edited by Caustik; 07-31-2017 at 12:57 AM.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:17 PM   #12
Caustik

Started on some of the rust repair, I am by no means a body man, and this is the first time I have attempted working with metal this thin. That being said I started with a panel no one would see so I could get a feel for the process. This is the Inner rocker on the passenger side. I am Open to advice and critique, anything to expand my knowledge before I move to visible panels. I am also still playing with wire speed, Still have to do the other side so I should have it dialed in by the time I get to the crucial panels.

Test fit of the outer rocker, It needs some massaging after being removed from the donor cab. but I am pretty content with the fitment.
Old 11-27-2017, 02:37 AM   #13
Caustik

Keep on keeping on. Waiting for parts doing small things in the mean time.

Old 12-03-2017, 09:34 PM   #14
Caustik

Fuel items, I'm an S10 guy so naturally using things I know seems the easiest route. Its not as pretty as a conversion tank, but its substantially less expensive, and I don't plan on many people seeing this part of the truck so function over form.

I had looked intot he rear mount tanks, and gathered info for fueling the LS from one of those tanks, and decided this would be the better more cost effective route. The tank is for a 2000 S10 Blazer, recycling the sending unit with new parts from a 04 s10 pickup( requires shortening the rods 1" to fit the tank) will be putting in a Walbro 255 with the siphon pump line on it just like OEM. The Sender for the gauge will need to be changed as the stock S10 unit is a 55-250 ohm sweep, as opposed to the trusty 0-90 of yester year, luckily there is a solution int he form of a 97 Grand prix sender (#25319676). still need to ad an inline filter, but am hoping to be ready to start the engine with my trimmed harness next month, here's hoping all goes as planned.

Old 12-08-2017, 02:52 AM   #15
Caustik

Picked up a Transmission for $100, its from a 2000 S-10 blazer and its a 4wd case, Not a super big deal since I was going to rebuild it any way, just means I need to pickup a few more parts. Going to give it a shot at rebuilding it myself, will see how that goes.

And Thanks to ls1nova71, I have some parts to convert the speedometer to electric, the rest of the cluster sans the fuel gauge will more than likely be replaced with 87 gauges, mostly because I can get them for next to nothing at the will fit the rest of the gauges pretty well.

Old 12-08-2017, 07:26 AM   #16
OL SKOOL

Thumbs up Re: In the Red 69 GMC

I wish i still had all your energy.The truck looks like it will be a fun driver.The body work just takes a lot of time.Make sure you fit your doors before you weld the rocker totally in.I have a 99 z and a 70 gmc step.The 70 is still apart on the cab stand.Your going to have the high and low of it with those two rides.Keep up the good work.
Attached Images

OL SKOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 11:24 PM   #17
Caustik

PCM came in, so now to see if my harness will make is chooch.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:44 PM   #18
rjs53

Heck of a project you got goin there. Looks good so far.
rjs53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:58 PM   #19
Caustik

She lives.

https://youtu.be/bUWRuWr1oTU
Old 06-19-2018, 12:14 AM   #20
Caustik

Almost done with the Electric speedo conversion, also Using 87 gauges for the temp, bat, and oil.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:23 AM   #21
raggedjim

Nice work, Rg

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 12:01 AM   #22
Odaroloc

Very nice work! This gives me some inspiration to get started on my 69 c10. Gonna be a sweet truck when done!
Old 06-26-2018, 10:49 PM   #23
Caustik

Exhaust parts

Old 06-26-2018, 10:50 PM   #24
Caustik

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjim View Post
Nice work, Rg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odaroloc View Post
Very nice work! This gives me some inspiration to get started on my 69 c10. Gonna be a sweet truck when done!
Thanks, its been a good Zen project so far.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:16 PM   #25
Caustik

First time making an Xpipe, not too happy with it, but it will do the job.