The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-26-2017, 09:18 PM   #1
KyleSeal

more brake line issues

I purchased a brake line kit, DBBL70O from Brothers, presumably InlineTube, for my 1970 that I did the CPP disc conversion on, and Brothers says their kit will bolt right up . It doesnt. I'm having issues with the parts themselves in the kit and where they connect to the discs.

My lines to the disc soft line are too small, as shown, and the coupler for the rear lines is too small, which makes no sense since its in their own kit. As shown.

What do I do? Im going to call Brothers but I doubt theyll be able to help me much.

Do I get different soft lines and a different coupling piece?
Attached Images

My Build Thread (1967 C10, lowered, EFI, daily truck): http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=830809
KyleSeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 10:59 PM   #2
Pro299

Re: more brake line issues

Are the conversion kits like the 71-72 OEM? If so, the hose fittings to the hard lines are different sizes, with the smaller one going on the passenger side, 3/8 maybe. The fitting on the driver side hose is larger, like 7/16. I know because mine is apart right now. No ideas on the connector for the rear line.
Pro299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:37 PM   #3
KyleSeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro299 View Post
Are the conversion kits like the 71-72 OEM? If so, the hose fittings to the hard lines are different sizes, with the smaller one going on the passenger side, 3/8 maybe. The fitting on the driver side hose is larger, like 7/16. I know because mine is apart right now. No ideas on the connector for the rear line.
they are not 71-72 OEM. I tried that first with no luck, which was what led me to this kit, recommended by a Brothers tech guy.

My Build Thread (1967 C10, lowered, EFI, daily truck): http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=830809
KyleSeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:55 AM   #4
B. W.

Brake line unions are cheap & available at all parts stores, you can also get size adapters for your line to hose. IMO I'd buy the proper size line & bend it up to match the hose.
If it makes you feel better, I got a kit from Inline for a stock 71 GMC K25 & had to make 1/2 the lines myself due to fitment issues. Contacted Inline, they were of no help whatsoever.
B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 10:19 AM   #5
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Is that for a front disc conversion? Because that hard to soft union is at the rear of the crossmember like on a drum brake setup. The hard to soft union on a 71-72 front disc rig has the union on the front of the crossmember.

When I swapped all my 1972 stuff to a 1969 frame I already had the brake lines (kit from inline tube) already ran for my stock disc brake setup on a 1972 frame. So I had to cut the soft brake line tabs off of the front of my 1972 crossmember and weld them onto the 1969 crossmember.

Not sure if that is your issue or not. But here is a post from my build thread about it:

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...&postcount=157

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.

Last edited by GASoline71; 04-27-2017 at 11:50 AM.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 02:39 PM   #6
HO455
Post Whore

Personally I would be shipping them back. I see no good reason let a vendor off the hook for something as simple as brake line fitting sizes. The only way vendors stop selling products that don't work is if we stop letting them. OK. I'm getting off my soap box now.

On your rear hose what style of Tee do you have? My understanding is that the 71-72's have a different style than the earlier ones. First photo is of a later style hose which uses 1/4" fittings at the axle Tee. The second photo is of the hose mounting plate on the later axle. (It also shows my PO's use of an early hose with a late axle) The earlier hose Tee has 3/16" fittings and no bolt hole. This information comes from me replacing the lines on my 67 Burban. The PO had swapped a five lug axle under it. (3rd photo shows correct hose installed). Both hoses have 1/4" fittings on the frame side.

I don't know about what the front hoses on a 70 might look like, but my 67 had 3/16" fittings on the lines with an adapter to 1/4" for the hose. I don't know if it was this way from the factory but it had definitely been that way for a long time when I took it apart to replace the lines. (4th photo). The PO had swapped the front to a five lug disc set up. hope this helps with your issue.

I also know the coil spring hoses are longer than leaf spring hoses.
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377

Last edited by HO455; 04-27-2017 at 02:42 PM. Reason: -4 spelling
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote