The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-18-2017, 08:52 PM   #1
derek_1137

Clutch Problems

Hello my name is Derek, I apologize if I make any mistakes this is my first post.

Background: I drive a 1969 c20 she drove great for awhile then after completely blowing the engine it was time to do a swap. This was my first time doing an engine swap and this is the first truck I've had any experience working on. after lots of time and money I pulled the 350 I had and swapped it for a 383 from a 78 c20. So far I've done everything by myself without even so much as a helping hand to drop the engine in. Everything was going well, although there were issues nothing I couldn't manage.

The issue: I was pulling the pulleys off the new engine as they didn't line up right with the long water pump I pulled off my old engine. (I wanted to use the long one not the short one that came off my new block) I was trying to use a wrench, unfortunately it kept cranking the engine so naturally I tried putting it in gear. No luck, still cranking the engine. thats odd I though maybe I set the clutch up wrong when I reattached it. (the only part I messed with was the assembly that the pedal attaches to, the part that swivels to push a rod to push the part sticking out of the tranny) (sorry I'm not familiar with the specific names of those transmission parts) so in my own stupidity I tried to adjust the rod thinking it must not be applying enough pressure. After adjusting I got in the cab pushed the clutch pedal and POP. There was a loud pop and the pedal no longer has any pressure behind it and doesn't disengage the clutch to switch gears. in the end i did what i should've done in the first place and bought an impact wrench to pull them but now I'm stuck with a broken clutch and couldn't find a post with someone in a similar situation.

The questions: What could have happened? What might be broken? what should i check? What should i replace?

Any and all help is appreciated thank you very much. -Derek
derek_1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:17 PM   #2
AussieinNC

Re: Clutch Problems

Ok, sounds like the release fork that sticks out of the bell housing has come off its pivot point.

Post pics of the piece sticking out of the bell housing and the rod and z link, the cross tube.

Did you put a pilot bearing in the end of the crank.

AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:08 PM   #3
68c10airstream

I had a 69 c20 in high school (1975) so this will test my memory!! Lay on your back and look up under the dash at the clutch pedal arm assembly and look for a nasty big spring hooked to the clutch arm. Is it broken?? As stated above that is a strong possibility also.

The spring under the dash was an assist spring, helping it go to the floor easier and giving you some stronger return pressure. It acts as an overcenter spring, so when you are about midway through the travel it isn't helping or hurting the clutch pedal pressure (feel). God i hope my memory is still good. Oh, welcome aboard Derek!!
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 05:19 PM   #4
derek_1137

I hope these images work, I checked and all the springs are attached and in tact.
I did not put a pilot bearing in, when i pulled the engine I disconnected it at the bell housing and the guy who sold me the engine left the clutch assembly on the engine so i wouldn't have to mess with it.
how would I check to see if the fork came off its pivot point?
Old 09-19-2017, 06:08 PM   #5
mike16

wellcome! and dont worry about mistakes. we all make them and we can all learn from each others mistakes. the only unforgivable mistake is not to take pictures of your project or not share them with us.
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 06:21 PM   #6
AussieinNC

mmm...no images loaded my friend...

and

What did you use the impact wrench on? What did you remove?

Old 09-19-2017, 07:54 PM   #7
derek_1137

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieinNC View Post
mmm...no images loaded my friend...

and

What did you use the impact wrench on? What did you remove?

I used it to take the pulleys off my crankshaft, that was after I messed with the clutch and somehow messed it up, everything visible seems intact nothing appears broken as far as the clutch pedal arm and the swivel and those.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...jFRwg_RaSKq9sN

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...aEwcL_HL3805lZ

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...PAy8tNfvOibVJd

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...P0Ot4URYN_IKv7
Old 09-19-2017, 07:58 PM   #8
derek_1137

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike16 View Post
wellcome! and dont worry about mistakes. we all make them and we can all learn from each others mistakes. the only unforgivable mistake is not to take pictures of your project or not share them with us.
Thank you! it helps to have the reassurance its been a long process, and while its been lots of fun there has definitely been some struggles and frustrations. nothing I wouldn't do again if given the chance to not have to do any of it. I've got lots of pictures and can't wait to share them with you guys.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:13 PM   #9
AussieinNC

The links to the pics on google dont work...

You can upload pics by scrolling down the message page to Additional Options...Manage Attachments...load each pic from your local computer, one pic per load line, click Upload, then Leave this page...

then Submit Reply on the Message form...

Most likely not your fault,,,the big image repositories now charge a fee for you to share your own pics...and block open sharing...

Let us know if you have any issues uploading using the instructions...

Bill
Old 09-19-2017, 08:36 PM   #10
derek_1137

Hopefully it works this time, I apologize I'm still learning this website.
Attached Images

Old 09-19-2017, 09:08 PM   #11
dozerbill72

You might also check the rod that goes through the firewall. Check under the dash make sure it's still connected to the clutch pedal. Also Oak Grove of what state are you in? I have an Oak grove a few miles down the road from me is the reason I ask.
dozerbill72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:16 PM   #12
AussieinNC

Ok...apart from the missing lock pins in the rod ends...

I have a couple of questions...

When you push the pedal down, does the rod that comes out of the cab move down?

If No, the rod has come off of the pedal pivot and needs to be replaced...plus the clip to retain it...

If yes, does the small threaded rod that goes into the clutch fork, move backwards?

If no, one of the pivot levers on the cross link has a broken weld and needs to be repaired....

If yes, but the clutch still does not release, it is one of the following issues...

The release fork has come off of its pivot...remove the trans to repair replace the broken retainer clip...or

The release bearing and clutch diaphragm are faulty....remove trans to repair or replace the damage...

Each of the release rods should have a hairpin retainer clip in place....

The smaller threaded rod that goes back to the release form is missing a V shaped wedge between the adjuster rod nut and the fork...

There should be two nuts on that smaller rod to lock the adjustment of the fork clearance.

Old 09-20-2017, 06:59 PM   #13
derek_1137

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozerbill72 View Post
You might also check the rod that goes through the firewall. Check under the dash make sure it's still connected to the clutch pedal. Also Oak Grove of what state are you in? I have an Oak grove a few miles down the road from me is the reason I ask.
I live in oak Grove, MN , it appears as if all of that is connected.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:01 PM   #14
derek_1137

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieinNC View Post
Ok...apart from the missing lock pins in the rod ends...

I have a couple of questions...

When you push the pedal down, does the rod that comes out of the cab move down?

If No, the rod has come off of the pedal pivot and needs to be replaced...plus the clip to retain it...

If yes, does the small threaded rod that goes into the clutch fork, move backwards?

If no, one of the pivot levers on the cross link has a broken weld and needs to be repaired....

If yes, but the clutch still does not release, it is one of the following issues...

The release fork has come off of its pivot...remove the trans to repair replace the broken retainer clip...or

The release bearing and clutch diaphragm are faulty....remove trans to repair or replace the damage...

Each of the release rods should have a hairpin retainer clip in place....

The smaller threaded rod that goes back to the release form is missing a V shaped wedge between the adjuster rod nut and the fork...

There should be two nuts on that smaller rod to lock the adjustment of the fork clearance.

Thank you! Everything moves just fine all the way to the fork so it would apear I'm gonna have to remove the tray to find out what specifically happend
Old 09-20-2017, 07:06 PM   #15
AussieinNC

Ok...remove the cover plate under the bell housing and try and get a pic of the release bearing and fork....

Have the gf press down on the clutch pedal and take a pic with the pedal down...

Believe it or not, pics work best...a picture saves a thousand words...

Dont worry, we will get this right...

Bill
Old 09-23-2017, 01:45 PM   #16
derek_1137

Hey guys sorry about not responding it's been a busy week, I decidedthat since I had to replace my bell housing I would just take a look when I drop the tranny, however now I've got another question. I'm in the middle of dtopping her and I've got everything disconnected except the shifter and I'm confused because in most of the things I found there's a linkage to take off but on mine it goes straight into the transmission how do I disconnect it?
Old 09-23-2017, 04:24 PM   #17
AussieinNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek_1137 View Post
Hey guys sorry about not responding it's been a busy week, I decidedthat since I had to replace my bell housing I would just take a look when I drop the tranny, however now I've got another question. I'm in the middle of dtopping her and I've got everything disconnected except the shifter and I'm confused because in most of the things I found there's a linkage to take off but on mine it goes straight into the transmission how do I disconnect it?
Watch this youtube video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0izU9-zsHR8
Old 10-08-2017, 03:02 PM   #18
derek_1137

Good news, thought I'd update you guys turns out there's a clip that fits in my clutch fork and holds it on the ball bearing and that clip snapped so I've got one on the way right now!
Old 10-08-2017, 03:25 PM   #19
AussieinNC

These clips snap sometimes due to age, but mostly from incorrect installation...

Make sure you get all of the broken pieces out of the fork...clean the socket up real good and use some moly grease on the pivot ball and inside the cup area where the ball pivots...

The clip should expand over the pivot...put the release bearing on the trans snout and install the trans with the release fork pushrod end just hanging thru the bell housing hole.

When trans is in place, align the forks of the release lever into the release bearing, push the pivot fork over it pivot...

Before you begin assembling everything...make absolutely sure the release bearing is the correct one...post a pic of the bearing and a pic of the clutch pressure plate finger area...and we will confirm if its correct or not...there are two different bearings, one for a diaphragm style clutch and one for a Long Style clutch...

Warning...most auto parts outlets list the INCORRECT bearing !!!!!!

pics, pics, pics....