The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Our Stuff... In Scale

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-18-2011, 07:29 PM   #1
jrdv

Model Collection

These have been packed away for a long time. I haven't built a complete model in over 20 years, but I did start a couple a few yeas ago. I finally have a clean place to store them and keep the critters out.

As a kid, I built lots of models because we didn't have TV. Unfortunately, I lost most all of them in a house fire years ago.

The red stepside was built when I was about 13. A guy I knew had a 71 stepside 4x4 with 44" Gumbo Mudders. I always wanted that truck, but it was sold before I had a license. I built the model to match the real thing.

Someday I will have time to put a few of these together and patch up the few built ones I have left.

Enjoy!
John
Attached Images

jrdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:33 PM   #2
jrdv

Re: Model Collection

More.........
Attached Images

Old 02-19-2011, 06:15 PM   #3
special-K
Special Order

That's an impressive collection there. I have some collected and pretty much none built anymore. I like that red stepside. I mocked up a light blue 4wd from the same body. I'd say the tires would scale at about 37-38s. They are the Ground Hawgs from the '78-ish Monogram kit of a GMC shortbed. That's the frame I used,too. I've been looking for that Open Road camper kit forever,haven't had luck with that. If you ever decide to...LMK

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:57 AM   #4
cable666guy

That looks like my collection...Lots of un-builts with too much house, kids, work, etc., etc. in the way!!
cable666guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 01:47 AM   #5
jrdv

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
That's an impressive collection there. I have some collected and pretty much none built anymore. I like that red stepside. I mocked up a light blue 4wd from the same body. I'd say the tires would scale at about 37-38s. They are the Ground Hawgs from the '78-ish Monogram kit of a GMC shortbed. That's the frame I used,too. I've been looking for that Open Road camper kit forever,haven't had luck with that. If you ever decide to...LMK
Thanks Special-K,
You are right. If I remember correctly, those tires came from a 78'ish blazer that had wide axles and was set up as a pulling rig. The Open Road Camper was purchased on ebay. It was one of the first models I built as a kid and is one I lost in the house fire. The Sierra Grande was also one of the first I built. The white truck next to the red stepside is what is left of it. I attempted to make a shortbed and never finished it!
If I ever decide to part with the camper, You will be the first contacted!

John
Old 02-20-2011, 01:48 AM   #6
jrdv

Quote:
Originally Posted by cable666guy View Post
That looks like my collection...Lots of un-builts with too much house, kids, work, etc., etc. in the way!!
If we only had the time and freedom we had 20 years ago!

John
Old 02-20-2011, 11:08 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

When I was young I had a box about the size of a large tv box with loose parts. I remember leaning over the edge and diggin' for parts. When I started it was the AMT 3-in-1 kits around 1963...when Customizing was big. I did some of that,but my love for gassers prevailed. I loved a flat black gasser with cut-out rear fender wells and huge slicks. I always loved the truck kits,too. It was muscle cars (in real time) towards the end. I remember learning the year to year changes through the model kits. When the '67 truck came out it was just a big "WOW!" I must have built 10 of those the first year. I got back into it a b it when I was about 22 and built a few 2 & 4wd trucks. I took a 4wd Ford van model and built a 4wd '53 Ford pickup. This would have been around 77/78. Then,around 84 I was laid up with a broken foot one winter. Christmas shopping for the kids I discovered most models from my day were being made again just with different box art. I bought way more than I could build which ended up being a pretty good investment. I did build that Thunderbolt Blazer to look like the one I actually drove. Then,around the 90+/- I started buying the 67-72 kits that were current. I figured I'd build some and save some. Those were the yellow & white Chevy longbed Fleetside and the red GMC Fenderside. I bought some '55 Cameo and Stepside kits,too. More recently I bought some originals from Fine69 off the board when I first joined and have picked up some more off Ebay. I used to see that Open Road some and never had the coin. I only look when I'm bored,but never come across any now,other than built ones. So,I'm jealous!

Here's the one shortbed I went far enough with to mock up about 20 years ago in both 2 and 4wd. I used ralleys off a '68 Camaro kit on the 2wd and chrome spoke/Ground Hawgs from the '78 GMC kit. Since Monogram had to be all different and do 1/24th instead of 1/25th the tires are probably more like 40s on 17" wheels.
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote