The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-08-2010, 08:02 AM   #26
68Stepbed

Re: Truck done 2 weeks and already damaged. Will Geico pay?

Beautiful truck, man!! Wow! It's hard to beleive a renegade tire/wheel did that much damage.

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:57 AM   #27
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Stepbed View Post
Beautiful truck, man!! Wow! It's hard to beleive a renegade tire/wheel did that much damage.
It's amazing how much force a wheel/tire has when lost from a vehicle. I recall an accident a few years back when a woman was killed instantly when a wheel was lost from a vehicle going the other direction. Driver was killed but the passenger lived. Really sad as the police said there was not a single thing she could have done.

To the original poster, man that totally sucks and I hope everything works out for you in the end. That is a beautiful truck!!!!!
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:21 AM   #28
mrh33916
Project '67 454

Sorry to hear about that,

If you go to Charlotte look in turn one against the fence near the end of pit road for a guy named Randolph selling 67-72 parts. (he's always been there in the past).
He may have the parts even if he didn't bring them to the show,

He's from Columbia SC also,

Michael
94 Formula 232LS 454
mrh33916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:22 PM   #29
basemodel67
Factory Strippers Rule!

Try finding an ad for an N.O.S. fender and any other parts you need . Have them on hand when they come out to look at it. Also a good idea to have a finshed vehicle appraised. Your truck won't really compare to the beat up ones they will try to find ads for to see what the value is. I had to get my Oldsmobile I used to have appraised. State Farm didn't think the factory ram air hood would cost $1500 to replace if needed, but I knew what they go for... if you can find one.

67 Chevy Short Fleet

PLAN: LQ9, 4L60, D60

Looking for School Bus Gauges - Help me out!
basemodel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:39 PM   #30
Cole Trickle
C-10 Club Member

I think you will be O.K.

Your truck is extremely nice and there gonna know you have alot of blood/$weat and tears into her.

I would get your own estimate at a shop you would feel comfortable using. If they give you any grief about the repairs grind it out until your happy. Ny nature there job will be to settle it for as cheap as possible.

Worst case senario you can use grundy and pay your collision deductible (if you have one) and wait for reimbursement.

Good luck shes a bueaty!!
Cole Trickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:49 PM   #31
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I would get quotes from 3 different shops that do classic repair work.Make sure they specify OEM parts.Then if the adjuster tries to lowball you,call Grundy and they should step up for you.Since the accident was not your fault and the truck was parked there's not any reason for it to be counted against your policy.I hope your policy was written on an appraisal or agreed value basis since they cannot dispute the worth of the truck.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:59 PM   #32
joeelutz

Thanks for the help guys.

The only shop I trust to do the work is My shop. I do everything at my shop except the paint work, and I have a guy just down the street from me that does all my paint work. I don't know how they will take an estimate from me since I own the truck. Maybe I can get my painter to write up the entire estimate as if it would all be done there.

Micheal, I'm in between turns 1 and 2 with a black 69 Camaro project car. I'll go see if I can find Randolph tomorrow. Thanks!

Last edited by joeelutz; 04-08-2010 at 08:02 PM.
joeelutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 06:38 PM   #33
joeelutz

I got a call from Geico today. They are trying to refuse to pay. They said that the driver didn't have Geico insurance, but the passenger did. Since she was not the one driving, they were not liable for paying for the damage. I don't see how it matters who was driving. I mean the vehicle was insured by Geico and the wheel came off and hit my truck. What a bunch of BS. I try to be a calm, reasonable, and rational person, but this is really starting to get irritating.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:47 PM   #34
redmonster

I had a similar accident when a neighbor thought it would be funny to do a burn out for his girl!!! The tire hit the rear quarter panel and left a good dent on the truck. My neighbor also had GEICO and the problem was resolved within three days.. Check in hand and all... Hope this helps....
Good luck
redmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 06:49 PM   #35
redmonster

Can t keep a great truck caged.....feathers are too nice
redmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 06:55 PM   #36
Cole Trickle
C-10 Club Member

Insurance can differ from state to state but where I'm from (CA) Insurance follows the vehicle primarily and driver secondary.

If the passenger owned the vehicle and the vehicle is insured by them through Geico they should cover it.

If the passenger has Geico and its not there car then Geico won't cover it becuse they had nothing to do with the accident.

If the passenger owns the car and they have Geico but that particular car is not covered (Lets say it was registered non op and they drove it un insured) then they won't be covering it.

I would report it to your insurance company....Hopefully you chose to have UM coverage added to the policy.

Have your painter freind write up a estimate for ALL repairs. Once you get payment you can fix how you see fit.

Brandin (Insurance Agent)
Old 04-12-2010, 07:09 PM   #37
joeelutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole Trickle View Post
Insurance can differ from state to state but where I'm from (CA) Insurance follows the vehicle primarily and driver secondary.

If the passenger owned the vehicle and the vehicle is insured by them through Geico they should cover it.

If the passenger has Geico and its not there car then Geico won't cover it becuse they had nothing to do with the accident.

If the passenger owns the car and they have Geico but that particular car is not covered (Lets say it was registered non op and they drove it un insured) then they won't be covering it.

I would report it to your insurance company....Hopefully you chose to have UM coverage added to the policy.

Have your painter freind write up a estimate for ALL repairs. Once you get payment you can fix how you see fit.

Brandin (Insurance Agent)
Brandin, Thanks for the advice. It's my understanding that insurance follows vehicle first here in NC also. It's also my understanding that the passenger was the owner of the vehicle. I'm going to talk to my insurance co tomorrow and see what they say. They driver and passenger told me at the time of the accident that they had just added the vehicle to the policy prior to the incident. They also had the wrong plate on the vehicle, but supposedly showed a Bill of Sale to the policeman where they had just bought the vehicle and have 30 days to get the plate changed over.

Joe
Old 04-12-2010, 07:15 PM   #38
Cole Trickle
C-10 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeelutz View Post
Brandin, Thanks for the advice. It's my understanding that insurance follows vehicle first here in NC also. It's also my understanding that the passenger was the owner of the vehicle. I'm going to talk to my insurance co tomorrow and see what they say. They driver and passenger told me at the time of the accident that they had just added the vehicle to the policy prior to the incident. They also had the wrong plate on the vehicle, but supposedly showed a Bill of Sale to the policeman where they had just bought the vehicle and have 30 days to get the plate changed over.

Joe
I would keep hammering Geico....

What could be happening is they did in fact add this car to the policy 2 weeks earlier. Some times the computer system dosent link underwriting with claims so they might not have an updated policy.

What also might be happening (I hate to say this happens a bunch) is they called to add this vehicle to the policy about 30 minutes after they damaged your truck with hopes the insurance carrier wouldn't notice.......they always notice

If you have anyother questions let me know
Old 04-12-2010, 07:49 PM   #39
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Go straight to your state department of Insurance and file a complaint. Geico has a history of this kind of thing. The will deny, delay and try to under pay. 4 states that I know of has sued geico fo that very reason. Unless you had uninsure/underinsured your company may not pay either. But you can sue the driver and the owner of the car.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:52 PM   #40
joeelutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole Trickle View Post
I would keep hammering Geico....

What could be happening is they did in fact add this car to the policy 2 weeks earlier. Some times the computer system dosent link underwriting with claims so they might not have an updated policy.

What also might be happening (I hate to say this happens a bunch) is they called to add this vehicle to the policy about 30 minutes after they damaged your truck with hopes the insurance carrier wouldn't notice.......they always notice

If you have anyother questions let me know
Well I know they did show the officer some sort of proof of insurance, because he is the one who gave me a copy of the paperwork he filled out with their policy #.

I guess I will try Geico again in the morning.

Joe
Old 04-12-2010, 07:53 PM   #41
joeelutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcsr View Post
Go straight to your state department of Insurance and file a complaint. Geico has a history of this kind of thing. The will deny, delay and try to under pay. 4 states that I know of has sued geico fo that very reason. Unless you had uninsure/underinsured your company may not pay either. But you can sue the driver and the owner of the car.
I have full coverage. I'll check into that.
Thanks
Old 04-12-2010, 08:13 PM   #42
extd56

Quote:
I have full coverage. I'll check into that.
Thanks
When my 56 Chevy Extended cab got hit on the freeway by a big rig with minor damage his insurance tried to deny the claim first then tried to low ball it, saying it was an old truck and not worth much. They wanted me to go to their claims office with the truck and get their estimate to how much they were going to pay for. I told them no thanks and called my insurance company and told them what happened and they said they would pay for the damage and would work it out with the other insurance company. The other insurance was not happy about it and did not want me to get my insurance involved but that is why I pay them for full coverage on my truck. My insurance sent out a adjuster and wrote me a check for the damages right there. I never heard from the other insurance again and not sure what happened between them and my insurance. I guess the bottom line is that if you have full coverage on your truck you should let your insurance deal with the other company, it was not your fault and you should not have to deal with it.
extd56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:19 PM   #43
oldblue1968chevy
Grandpa in the rustmobile...

geezz! thats a sweet truck!! Its a shame these classics are getting wrecked, EXPECIALLY yours..mine was hit last wednesday (old farm truck looks with a lot of $ invested for a 17 year old!) Hope ya get a big fat check soon too. Its been nearly a week and ive yet to hear from an adjuster saying when they are going to be comming out! And I was told by the car rental place im too young for a rental car!!!! This SUCKS! I hope you get it straightend out and find NOS fenders/hood/inner fenders cheap and fast!

Goose-1968 C10 355,9.32-1CR, Vortec Heads ,262 voodoo, 3.73:1 3OTT (HS ride/beater/farm truck)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317684

Grams 53-1953 Chevrolet Belair
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4327784

1969 Chevy C10 Shortbed 4.5/6?" Frame off resto
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548136

1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
oldblue1968chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:26 PM   #44
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Bum deal mate. Hope it works out.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by 70cst; 04-17-2010 at 10:10 AM.
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:38 PM   #45
davebloomer

Yeah Geico sucks. I had a claim against them in my company truck and they denied it was their fault tho my story and the police report matched and proved i was not at fault. but they knew due to the low cost of repair we likely wouldn't pay to dispute. They were right.

SUE THE OWNER OF THE VEHICLE. if you can't get geico to come around sue the owner and any judge in the world will agree they owe you. especially if your state is vehicle first.
davebloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:41 PM   #46
davebloomer

Also I currently have geico as my insurance... (hate it but $$ talk) However I am fixing to switch to another company. When they ask why I am leaving I would love to reference your case as my reason for not wanting to do business with them.
davebloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:44 PM   #47
wancosc356
I Like Mine With No Shine!

Bummer man! That is a sweet truck!

1967 Chevrolet C10 Short Fleet (Literal Ground Up....One Day)
2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 4x4
1969 Lincoln Continental Coupe Project FOR SALE
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/c...ct=4578&cat=17
1981 Honda CM400 C Bobber SOLD
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=384152
wancosc356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 12:58 AM   #48
joeelutz

Well it looks like my uninsured motorist coverage is going to pay. They said they would then bill the driver of the van for the cost.

The other party is claiming that they added the vehicle to their insurance the day of the accident, before the accident, but Geico says it doesn't become effective until the next day.

I'll just let them fight it out.

Thanks for everone's advice and support.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:02 AM   #49
extd56

Quote:
Well it looks like my uninsured motorist coverage is going to pay. They said they would then bill the driver of the van for the cost.

The other party is claiming that they added the vehicle to their insurance the day of the accident, before the accident, but Geico says it doesn't become effective until the next day.

I'll just let them fight it out.

Thanks for everone's advice and support.
Glad to see that your insurance will pay for your damage and go after the driver of the van. That is why you pay for full coverage and have uninsured motorist coverage to protect your investment that you have in your truck.

Last edited by extd56; 04-17-2010 at 10:33 AM.
extd56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:11 AM   #50
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
Bum deal mate. Hope it works out.

I was thinking the same thing...

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote