The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > Review Board > Product Reviews

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-20-2005, 01:31 PM   #1
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

Thumbs up Jackson NexGen Autodark helmet

http://www.jacksonproducts.com/prodD...&productId=342
Been using my new helmet for a week now. Really like it. the NexGen autodark cartridge has a big viewing area of 4.5"x5.25". It auto-off's at 20 min from last weld, so you are not continually taking it off to turn it back on. Settings are digital read out and easily controlled with gloved hands. 4 independent sensors one in each quadrant. Wich have been working great for tig. Helmet itself is a standard Shadow model. Like how narrow it is but the headgear leaves a little to be desired. No fore and aft adjustment. Bit pricey at $250-$260 list (cyberweld $201.25), but comparable to other brands top models.

I managed to look at another guy's Mille Elite helmet yesterday. Viewing area MIGHT be a little smaller but headgear appeared superior to mine.
chickenwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 06:15 PM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: Jackson NexGen Autodark helmet

I’ve used one for a few years now. I just replaced the head gear because it was a pain in the *** and not very adjustable or comfortable. For a $250 plus mask it should have a good head gear.
You also have to use a rear exit respirator or a small fabric mask because the face area is so small. I cut mine off just below the glass and riveted on part of an old $20 mask so I could use a half mask respirator. It looks like a Franken mask, scares the daylights out of my dogs.

The speed glass more than makes up for the other issues. Very responsive and I have never been flashed by it not changing to dark. Save a lot of flipping the mask up while doing setup and tac work.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 06:42 PM   #3
phantom dually
Project92 SWB stepside

I have 2 Jackson eqc and a hobart. All are darkening helmets and very nice compared to the Old Skool way!!
92 C1500 stepside 496 Stroker Competiton Engineering Ladder bars/QA1 coilovers. Dana 60 rear with 4.10 gear and posi. Bonspeed Palisade 20x12 in rear w/335/30/20 and 20x8.5 front w/245/40/20. 5/8 drop with Belltech springs/DJM spindles/drop shocks. WWS Progress thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=140448
phantom dually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 09:25 AM   #4
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcsr
...You also have to use a rear exit respirator or a small fabric mask because the face area is so small...

Good point. It would be hard to get a half mask in there. Currently welding in a classroom environment. Ventilators within reach at every station. Have not required a respirator yet.
chickenwing is offline   Reply With Quote