The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > Review Board > Product Reviews

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-26-2005, 06:03 PM   #1
chip46wis

Angry Sears appliances

Saw the thread about the craftsman tools and have to say I use them only as a hobbyist with no luck.In ten years I have replaced a 3/8 ratchet 4 times and no I dont use a cheater bar either.SO on to SEARS appliances----we remodeled 3 years ago and replaced all the appliances and heres the results-
1-washer lasted one week and actually caught on fire,sears response?we will send a repairman,my response I will contact my lawyer for smoke damage ect---they sent a new washer.
2-dishwasher leaked from day one after 2 attempts they finally got it to quit leaking
3-stove lost one burner within 2 weeks a second one 3 months later
4- dryer timer lasted 4 1/2 months element made it 7 months
NOW to the real piece of $#@%^ my Craftsman 20hp garden tractor in 2 years I have replaced 5 spindles,3 drive belts,one front axle (it actually split) and 2 problems with the wiring.
As far as the tractor I had 2 old Murray 12 hp riders 1 -9 years old 1 12 years old and NO problems except for 1 spindle after I hit a rock----
I cannot begin to display my disgust for Sears.
chip46wis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 07:26 PM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: Sears appliances

Unfortunatly Sears aint what it used to be. They will hang the Craftsman name on any pice of jap crap they can get cheap.

These days I buy lots of things from Sam's. Their prices are cheaper, and they offer a smoking deal on extended warranties. As much as I hate to buy extended warranties I have been forced to do so and Sam's is dirt cheap. Something to consider in the future....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 08:18 PM   #3
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

Started buying my big appliances (all whirlpool) at Lowe's. Their extended warranty is the best buy imo and they price match any competitor.

Next time do a Consumer Reports subscription and find out wich one is the best, then find a retailer that you like.
chickenwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 09:30 PM   #4
Joe67
67 is sold

You do realize all Sears does not make any appliancesm, they are all GE, Amana, Whirlpool or other manufacturers.
Exact same items as every other store, just different model numbers...

gr8lakes - My ebay auctions

Click here to order forum apparel :: Click here to become a subscribing member

Last edited by Joe67; 10-26-2005 at 09:33 PM.
Joe67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 10:16 PM   #5
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

Some models are manufactured just for Sears.
chickenwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 10:45 PM   #6
oldsub86

The problem is that nothing much is made in north america anymore. It's all offshore junk. It is cheaper than it used to be but only because it is not well made. The one thing I will say for Sears is that they do stand behind their stuff reasonably well. A lot of the smaller places are not as helpful when problems arise.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:31 PM   #7
Dick Dale
Excelsior, You Fathead.

I was screwed by Sears about 5 years ago when they tried to give me a box of copier paper that had a Kenwood stereo sticker on it for $330. After it took three hours of arguing to get my money back, I vowed to never shop there again. I could really care less if they go out of business because they suck. If you sell overpriced garbage, don't honor lifetime warranties and give poor customer service, some other store is going to come in and hand you your a**.
Dick Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 12:22 AM   #8
72 CustomCamper
huh ???

And just think, now Sears is owned by K Mart...

Chuck

"I am a bomb technician. If you see me running try to keep up!"
72 CustomCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 12:49 AM   #9
tomatocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Dale
I was screwed by Sears about 5 years ago when they tried to give me a box of copier paper that had a Kenwood stereo sticker on it for $330. After it took three hours of arguing to get my money back, I vowed to never shop there again. I could really care less if they go out of business because they suck. If you sell overpriced garbage, don't honor lifetime warranties and give poor customer service, some other store is going to come in and hand you your a**.
Come on, tell us how you really feel! Surely all of us have stories like this for most manufacturers. Me, I usually get teh broken one anyway. Just lucky.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:21 AM   #10
special-K
Special Order

Sears and Murry are made by MTD,like most all mowers.Zears ain`t what it used to be and neither is anything else.Most big stores that were around as long as Sears aren`t around anymore.The whole General Merchandise Retail market has evolved and Sears has evolved with it.I still think it`s a good service.Take any large entity and you will find the same crap.Often with worse customer service.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 07:58 AM   #11
Tink

I had a washer that the tub cracked on, on the second use! Had water gushing out... the guy at Sears had the nerve to tell me to check the hoses!!! I told him the water was dumping out of the bottom of the washer!!! When they came to replace it and put it on the dolly, you could see the drum was cracked. To get them to replace it, I had to drive down to the store and park myself outside the manager's office.

NO more SEARS for me.... all automotive tools are Snap-on, all other tools are dewalt or porter cable, all appliances Matag or GE.

88 Sierra

02 2500 Suburban
And too many S10s to list!
Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 08:16 AM   #12
Joe67
67 is sold

Every retail outlet has at least one moronic salesperson or customer service person.

The big profit makers at every retail out let is the 'extended warranty'

For info one Sears Kenmore products, checkout this website
http://www.appliance411.com/purchase/sears.shtml

Here is another page on that site, informative stuff.
http://www.appliance411.com/purchase/make.shtml

gr8lakes - My ebay auctions

Click here to order forum apparel :: Click here to become a subscribing member
Joe67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 04:50 PM   #13
see ten
WTB this ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsub86
The problem is that nothing much is made in north america anymore. It's all offshore junk. It is cheaper than it used to be but only because it is not well made. The one thing I will say for Sears is that they do stand behind their stuff reasonably well. A lot of the smaller places are not as helpful when problems arise.
I have been employed by Roper Corporation in Lafayette Georgia for almost 13 years. We are owned by GE and make their ranges wall ovens and counter units. We do NOT make an appliance that says "Roper" they are made by Whirlpool. I work in a building that covers 27 acres and employs right about 2,000 people. There are over 5,000 units that leave this building per day. We are the largest manufacturer of ranges in the WORLD! Years ago Sears was our bread and butter. Things have changed! We have branched out and are selling to Lowes, Home Depot and Best Buy. I am not real sure how much if any of our product goes to Sears these days. Kenmore does not manufacture appliances they are made by other companies that put the Kenmore badge on them. The units we build are repeatedly top ranked by Consumer Reports. So long story short!
Yes you can buy an appliance made in the USA.
No Sears is not what it used to be.
Consumer Reports is an excellent source for unbiased information.
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 05:59 PM   #14
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX
These days I buy lots of things from Sam's.
me too, or Costco. I love the prepackaged toolkits by Crescent and others. You get a lot of what you need and they're perfect to have as a carry-around in the truck!

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 01:38 AM   #15
retrotruckparts

I just dealt with sears this week for my dryer. Was not pleased at all with their service. My dryer stop working and i called them to come and take a look at it. SEARS is telling me it will take 5 days before somebody can get can take a look at it. Never buying from them again.

1972 C10 Longbed
1970 C10 Longbed
2001 Z71 Tahoe
retrotruckparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 11:35 PM   #16
BIG ORANGE

I had a problem w/Sears in the early 90s. I bought carpet for the livingroom of the house we lived in at the time and the salesman misrepersented the product,without going into details of factory reps. and management I basically got the shaft,in saying this I dont do any buiesness w/ Sears!!!!!! Maybe they have changed but I'm done w/ them.

Things happen for a reason!
BIG ORANGE is offline   Reply With Quote