The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-23-2016, 08:17 PM   #1
Mr.Supersonic

heater problems

i'm sure a million people have had this same problem, and if someone could post a link that would be awesome too.

i have a 1970 c20 that i just pulled from a barn. everything seems to work except the heater. nothing turns on, no fan, no nothing. I know that the heater box under the dash is in disrepair, as it has baling wire holding it together.

it might be a wiring problem, but i'm not sure. any help would be great.
Mr.Supersonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 12:26 AM   #2
custom10nut

Re: heater problems

It's most likely corrosion on the wire connections. The fan motor is easy the get to and remove, from under the hood. You have to take the passenger side hood hinge loose (or take the hood off all together), put your test leads on and test it with a battery. If the motor is good, and all your connections are clean, then you do have a wiring issue. Use a test light and Ohm meter to check contnuity before you tear out any wiring.
custom10nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 05:26 AM   #3
Toms67

If you pulled it from a barn chances are little critters called Mice made it home. I wouldn't be surprised if that is the case with you. If you pull the fan motor off. And look inside. You can tell if they've been there. Pretty nasty mess. Hope not for your sake. Good luck.
Attached Images

Toms67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 09:58 AM   #4
Mr.Supersonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toms67 View Post
If you pulled it from a barn chances are little critters called Mice made it home. I wouldn't be surprised if that is the case with you. If you pull the fan motor off. And look inside. You can tell if they've been there. Pretty nasty mess. Hope not for your sake. Good luck.
Oh man I hope that mine doesn't look like that! It hope it is wiring, I've had wiring problems with this truck before. Thanks for the advice!
Mr.Supersonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 10:40 AM   #5
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: heater problems

Take the 2 screws out of the bottom of the dash holding the controller in. Pull it out and see if the harness is connected. Is take the fan switch off the middle lever off 1/4" socket and take it a part with a small screw driver. Clean the brass with a brush and all the contact points. Put it back together and make sure you have the harness hooked up at the fuse block. Mine works on all speed now. I just did this Thursday.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 11:15 AM   #6
F.A.A.benny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toms67 View Post
Gotta love that smell..Ive had to scrap heater boxes because even after cleaning it really well, bead blasting, and painting the inside, the smell was still there
F.A.A.benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 11:18 AM   #7
Toms67

That was the case with my heater box. It even rusted out all the metal inside. They do a lot of damage. Luckily they didn't get my wiring.
Toms67 is offline   Reply With Quote