The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-04-2020, 09:53 PM   #1
Bagd72Chevy
C10 Collector

Brake light issue

67 GMC, factory wiring. Brake lights function normally if the ignition is off. If the ignition is on and headlight switch off the brake lights are off. If the headlight switch is on and ignition on brake lights are on. If igntion is off and headlights on the running lights are on and brake pedal operates the brake lights. Ignition off and headlights off the brake lights function with pedal.

Hopefully someone can make sense of this, I cant wrap my head around it. Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Bagd72Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:48 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Brake light issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagd72Chevy View Post
67 GMC, factory wiring. Brake lights function normally if the ignition is off. If the ignition is on and headlight switch off the brake lights are off. If the headlight switch is on and ignition on brake lights are on. If igntion is off and headlights on the running lights are on and brake pedal operates the brake lights. Ignition off and headlights off the brake lights function with pedal.

Posted via Mobile Device

Usually these kinds of gremlins are caused by bad grounds, but there are other things that can cause them too. The first thing I would do is to read through this thread and make sure you have all of the ground straps listed. Also remove any that are there and clean the terminal ends and the metal where they attach as shown in the pictures.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=422234

I know it is a lot of reading and tedious work but it is cheap to do and needs to be done to eliminate the possibility of bad grounds. If you still have a problem after you do that, then we can move on to other problem areas.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 09:31 AM   #3
Bagd72Chevy
C10 Collector

Yes, I put extra time into grounds when I first put the truck back together. I have grounds from bed to frame, cab to frame, engine to frame. Even taillight and marker housings to frame. I thought this problem just showed up but that's not the case. The floating grounds on these old trucks bit me on the led tails I have. Guess I've had this problem longer than I realized, just didn't drive at night. With my led tail lights I had to put a pull-down resistor on the brake light wire to ground. That got me fixed up.
1967 Chevy LWB- 454 and patina
1971 Blazer - Rusty
1968 Crewcab project
Bagd72Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 02:02 AM   #4
franken

The little parts needing grounds is just part of the whole system needing grounds. Or?
There are about 8 ground straps, few of which make a difference here, that are normally there. Think electrical path from the alt/batt all the way around back to the alt/batt. It's a circle--all the current that goes out comes back.

Last edited by franken; 12-10-2020 at 02:23 AM.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 03:06 PM   #5
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Brake light issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagd72Chevy View Post

Posted via Mobile Device
The brake lights and all other lights for the rear of truck and front run through the turn signal switch. I would start by checking the connector under the dash for a bad connection.
Also the brake light switch get power from the dome light circuit.
If you save the wiring diagram to your computer you can make it larger and trace the wiring out. The orange wire is feeding the brake light switch then goes out on the white wire to the turn signal harness.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote