The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-30-2015, 12:44 AM   #1
HSRACER

What a ride!

So I sepnt most of the last week on a new adventure. I purchased a 1969 suburban from a great guy in Chattanoga TN. Interestingly I watched it being built by Scott Story (Tina, a patinaed suburban build thread) and was negotiating with Scott last July to buy it. Before I could make my decision it was bought and I was out of luck.

Some time in Feb I contacted Scott to see if he had the info on who had bought it and if I could find the new owner, I would try to buy it. When I called I was told that a new 76 mm turbo was now on the 5.3 LS and it was not going to be for sale. Bummed I asked the owner to keep my number.

4 days later a text came in asking if I was serious and would I like to purchase her. We agreed on a price, I wired the money, and waited patiently to get it shipped. My need to have it in the garage got the best of me and I was determined to go get it with my trailer.

Jon the new owner said don't waste your time with a truck and trailer, fly up and drive her home. He volunteered to meet me and send me on my way. Monday morning started early at 4am to board the plane from Houston to Atlanta then catch the shuttle bus to Chattanoga.

It was sitting in the parking lot at the bus stop and after a brief overview I hit the road for the 3 day trip back home. No spare, no tools, no parts, no cares in the whole world at that point.

I went downtown Chattanoga to get some lunch and stumbled into honest charley garage that is owned by Corky Coker of Coker tire fame. You have got to go there if you ever get a chance. He has a museum on site with some incredible motorcycles and cars!

4 hours later and a couple hundred miles under the wheels I arrived at my friends house for the night. The original plan was to pick up the truck at the owners shop but he did me a favor buy bringing it to the bus stop. The problem with that was I didn't check any thing out before driving off into the sunset.

So the next morning I did the once over and found the tires all at 22 pounds, 1 quart low on oil and the radiator down about 3 inches. We filled everything and I hit the road again. Truck had a pretty hard pull to the left and would occasionally come out of overdrive and rev to high. I determined that if you pulled up the brake pedal she would go right back into od. Need to adjust the stop,switch when I get home. I made it into New Orleans and had a friend do the quick check on the driveway to find my camber was way out and they had no shims at his location.

I called another friend that night and he said bring her to his shop in the morning. So I stayed with another friend in New Orleans and had to eat some great Cajun food!

Next morning we adjust the camber and she now drives like a dream. At 75 mph she is taching 1900 rpm and purring like a kitten. You have got to love a LS engine. Oh buy the way at the low setting of 7 pounds boost that big tank is a rocket ship with the tremendous torque and a 3.08 gear!

6 hours later I hit Houston traffic at 5:15 pm and did a stop and go dance for the next 2 hours. Not a great way to end a fantastic trip but I was happy to be that close to home and no overheating issues arose.

As all of us do, the next few days were spent looking it over in great detail and making it your own. I bought this for my wife and the smile on her face when she saw it was priceless but the cat that ate the canary look when she hit the throttle was over the top!

Wow, what a ride!
Patinaed 67 LS stepside
Supercharged 67 Nova
Bagged 69 Suburban Turbo'ed 5.3 LS
HSRACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:50 AM   #2
HSRACER

Re: What a ride!

Quick pic of the suburban
Attached Images

Patinaed 67 LS stepside
Supercharged 67 Nova
Old 03-30-2015, 12:53 AM   #3
HSRACER

And the power plant!
Attached Images

Patinaed 67 LS stepside
Supercharged 67 Nova
Old 03-30-2015, 06:46 AM   #4
yuccales

Very cool looking! Great story also.
yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:23 AM   #5
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: What a ride!

The LS motors are hard to beat for sure! I love mine I know. Nice looking burb and great story to boot!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:53 AM   #6
sboris

Nice burb. Nice to have friends along the way. Sounds like a wild trip.
71 short step-sold
71 chevy Beauville van
My build.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=633039
sboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:57 PM   #7
Number98
Prestige Worldwide

Sounds like a fun trip and that is one sweet Burb! Glad to see it back on the board...
Number98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 03:24 PM   #8
Hart_Rod

Nice buy!
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 03:59 PM   #9
cooperhw

LS motor strikes again.

great story and a cool truck for sure.

That whole turbo thing is on my "bucket list". Hummmmm
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 04:38 PM   #10
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Very nice burb! I bet she was excited when she laid down on the skinny pedal!
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 04:48 PM   #11
In The Ten Ring

I think I've seen that one for sale on CL. Congrats on getting her and being able to drive her home.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:03 PM   #12
hdff

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSRACER View Post
Quick pic of the suburban
nice looking burb... maybe i'll have a chance to see it in person, you ain't that far away

Don't argue with idiots, People watching may not be able to tell the difference...
There's someone in my head........But it's not me......

cheap tricks thread great info here!! http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
hdff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:24 PM   #13
karrlogs

"..stumbled into honest charley garage that is owned by Corky Coker of Coker tire fame. You have got to go there if you ever get a chance. He has a museum on site with some incredible motorcycles and cars!" --now a reason to check this out

That's some cool story and suburban. Glad to hear the wife is pretty happy. What a piece, thanks for sharing this!
karrlogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:38 PM   #14
69 GMC Daily Driver

LS motors are amazing. I'm on my 3rd 67-72 Truck. I always wanted to do a LS motor it just never seemed to be the time. I have one now in my 70 C/10. Every time I turn the key I just smile.

This was a great story and this looks like an awesome suburban.....
86 El Camino (22k original miles)
69 GMC Daily Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:39 PM   #15
HSRACER

Thanks everyone for the great comments. I thought I would share the story because I really enjoy when others have done it in the past. I can almost envision being along for the ride when I read their stories.

Only issue I am having is the rear passenger bag is leaking down at about 10 pounds every 5 to10 minutes so you have to keep an eye on the gauges while driving. I will have to check it out this weekend.
Patinaed 67 LS stepside
Supercharged 67 Nova

Last edited by HSRACER; 04-13-2015 at 11:44 PM.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:50 PM   #16
HSRACER

quick update.... I have now upgraded the incredibly loud exhaust that dumped behind the passenger seat to a full 3 inch system that dumps right before the rear bumper now. it is now the true definition of a sleeper! sounds like a stock old burb until you hit the loud pedal.

My wife has shown it off to the entire group of her friends and has told me that she loves it even more now that she has driven it a couple of times.

I love it when a plan comes together. we are getting ready to take it on the hot rod power tour in June. hope to meet some board members in route. Let us know if you are going.
Patinaed 67 LS stepside
Supercharged 67 Nova
Old 05-29-2015, 07:05 AM   #17
sunk99

Great write up of your journey home, I hope you enjoy her as much as we did. I miss her now so take care of her. I wanted to take her on power tour last year but it didn't happen because of work. Good luck on your trip.
Attached Images

Old 05-29-2015, 08:25 AM   #18
ekgguy

Nice 'burb and an even better story. There is nothing like an unplanned, seat-of-the-pants adventure to get the blood pumping. Even better that the wife likes it. That makes things much easier. Good luck on the Power Tour.

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=672655

"Father thank you for the gathering of friends, Father we give thanks for all the choices we've made because that's what makes us who we are, let us forever cherish the loved ones we've lost along the way and most of all THANK YOU FOR FAST CARS!"
ekgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:44 AM   #19
HSRACER

Scott, you did a great job setting this suburban up to be a great driver. When Jon added the turbo, it went to an all new level of performance.

We are looking forward to the power tour starting at the end of next week. Instead of killing our selfs to get to Madison Wisconsin from Houston TX in one day, we have decided to drive up to hot springs AR to spend a leisurely weekend and then head to little rock to see the Clinton museum on Monday. Tuesday morning we will join the tour in Memphis at the half way point and finish it out from there.

This is going to be a great trip and I am sure the suburban will work flawlessly! We will take some pics along the way and post them up as we go. Hope to see you next year on the tour.

As for taking care of her, we have already aligned the front end, fixed a stuck shift solenoid, added a 3 inch custom exhaust, changed every fluid in the vehicle, added a new radar detector, and addressed the leaking lines to the rear air bag. It is in perfect shape as far as I know to head out on the trip.

I have a few trucks that are "off limits" to sell and I have been informed that the suburban has joined that list!
Attached Images

Patinaed 67 LS stepside
Supercharged 67 Nova

Last edited by HSRACER; 05-29-2015 at 09:51 AM.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:50 AM   #20
Mr Chevorlet
Rusty Nuts

Great story and good luck with the tour and have fun Nice BURB!

Larry
Mr Chevrolet
My Build, The Marathon Truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=604414
Mr Chevorlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 03:34 PM   #21
1968aj

when do I get a ride in it? may be some parts on it I could use.
1968aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 05:53 PM   #22
HSRACER

Ok so the story continues here. As mentioned in an earlier post my wife and I are heading out to join the hot rod power tour. The plan was to head out from Houston TX and visit a friend in Shreveport LA, go to hot springs ark, cut over to little rock, then join the tour in Memphis TN.

My friend called and said to meet him in Longview TX at a car show before heading up to his house. We loaded up and left our home on Saturday morning and arrived at the car show. We decided to enter the suburban in the post 1960 truck class and enjoy the show. It was also,a blues festival and the back ground music was a nice plus while we sat under the shade tree for the next few hours.

At the end of the show my wife got a very nice trophy for second place in the class. Great way to start our trip!

We then went to our buddy's house for a great dinner and good conversation. By the way, he won his class in the pre 1960 truck class. On the way to my friends house, we started to smell tire smoke and determined that the passenger tire was rubbing the inside fender with the extra weight we had loaded in the back of the burb. So at 7:30 that evening we jacked it up and I did a quick adjustment to the track bar and centered up,the differential. Nice thing was that Scott Story had but an adjustable one on when he originally built this truck.

Sunday mornings 240 mile drive to hot springs was uneventful and at 75 mph the engine was loping along at 2000 rpm, the Ac was ice cold, and the blue tooth radio was playing all my favorites off my iPod. Great trip,so far, but......... After arriving in hot springs we went to wash off all the bugs and I heard a weird ticking noise when the engine was running. We shut it off and restarted the engine and no noise. Good. Went out to dinner and then returned to our hotel. During that drive a trans code showed up on the dash but she seemed to be working perfectly. I disconnected the battery for a half hour and the code cleared. The next morning no ticking noise, no trans code showed up,so,we headed to the lakefront for a couple of pictures of the burb. Off to little rock to visit a couple museums and see a friend there.

Darn ticking shows up,again but no codes. I am very paranoid on any engine/trans noises so I limp,it up,to a trans shop that a local hotrodder recommended. They are now taking the trans out and we are hoping it is a cracked flywheel and not anything more substantial.

I will take a few pictures and post them up as this trip unfolds. I hope to be back on the road tomorrow to,actually join up with the power tour in Memphis!
Attached Images

Patinaed 67 LS stepside
Supercharged 67 Nova

Last edited by HSRACER; 06-08-2015 at 06:48 PM.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:55 PM   #23
HSRACER

Plenty of room for our things!
Attached Images

Patinaed 67 LS stepside
Supercharged 67 Nova
Old 06-08-2015, 06:35 PM   #24
HSRACER