The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-15-2008, 06:04 PM   #126
caminokid
Chevy nut

Re: I fought the law and the law won

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazer72 View Post
Well, after 16 hours of cursing, grunting, sweating (90+ degrees), a sunburned neck, and wishing very ill will to the neighbors, 192 feet of 6 foot privacy fence is up.

Grand total: approx. $1600 fencing materials, 24 corona lights (bottled), and 3 gallons of sweat.

I even had a professional fence installer stop by and want to trade a truck for labor - I was in a bad state of mind - I almost did it - but he wanted my best cabbed truck, and my dad's stepside bed. Just couldn't do it. I offered him my extra Jimmy/Blazer, but he wants a stepside.
I would love to come over there and paint the ugliest Hudson...maybe florescent orange or something where the neighbors had to see it everyday!

"Remember kids there is NO replacement for displacement!"
caminokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 06:19 PM   #127
streetstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazer72 View Post
Well, after 16 hours of cursing, grunting, sweating (90+ degrees), a sunburned neck, and wishing very ill will to the neighbors, 192 feet of 6 foot privacy fence is up.

I don't know man, that fence actually looks pretty nice, you might start enjoying it, even though you dont like the circumstances behind putting it up.

Keeping your stuff out of sight means its somewhat hidden from thieves and vandals too (I live close to Norman, and trailers seem to be fair game regardless of their locking system)

Keep that thing sprayed once a year to look fresh and its a value adder to the property.
Now its time to start in on Mr. Nosy about his weeds

Nonsense! I'm in my prime
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 05:52 AM   #128
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

Smile Re: I fought the law and the law won

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Illegal is illegal in the eyes of the court system. That is the only point I was trying to make.
This sure is an emotive subject so I "respectfully" say,
There are degrees of unacceptability ..crack dens, repeated late night partys, burnouts in the drive etc, etc, are for most of us unacceptable, but storing your old parts cars on your own land wouldn't get me running for the phone. And just quoting legalities doesn't make it right either...there are numerous laws out there that are as nonsensical as a drinking ban in a pub. get rid of ridiculous and restrictive laws and bring back comon sense.

An American living in a British body.

1971 Chevy Cheyenne 10 454

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

http://www.youtube.com/Eightbanger
eightbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 10:17 AM   #129
raggedjim

This got me to thinking about my neighborhood. I live out in the country with no quazi-nazi hoa's, but there is still a state law that you can have only one unregistered vehicle and it must be hidden from public view (car cover, garage, behind a fence, etc.)

This is obviously not strictly enforced in some areas. Where the problem comes in is when the farmers sellout to developers and they subdivide and sell to people who don't seem to realize they now live in the country. They aren't accustomed to my rooster crowing at 5:30 (I told him not to, but he's hard-headed...), people running coon-dogs over the weekend, tractors and combines having right-of way, people dove-deer-squirrel hunting, or me taking a leak off my back deck...

I've had one "lady" mention my mini-junkyard (I have 4 acres and I have 3 trucks parked at the very back that aren't visable from the main road, but if you walk the trail back to the natural spring you can look over the hedgerow and see them) I told her that when she pays my property taxes, then I will consider moving them.

But I realize that some day someone else's "rights" will determine what I can keep in my own back yard. On that day I will become the old man who chases kids out of my apple tree and calls the cops when the neighbors dog gets loose...

Rg

P.S. I remember when I was thinking of buying some property from my grandmother to build a house. It was 2 acres at the very back of her 150 acres, so she very seldom went out there. The property line was adjacent to a subdivision, so I parked at the end of the subdivision cul-de-sac (the division was platted out to my grandmothers line, but she wouldn't sell to the developer so he cul de-sac'd it) and walked out to the property and was looking it over.

There were golf balls EVERYWHERE! I went back to my truck and grabbed an empty 5 gallon paint can and started gathering the golf balls up. Well, before you know it some guy came over and asked who I was and what was I doing. I told him my name and that I was picking up golf balls, then I asked his name and he told me and said those are my golf balls. I said are you sure, because I'm taking them to the sheriff's department and filing a complaint of trespassing and illegal dumping. That guy started backpeddling and saying he wasn't dumping that he picked them up on a regular basis, so I asked if he was a habitual trespasser. He said he wasn't hurting anything and I said that's not the point. I also told him I was thinking of putting in a chicken house on that property, you should have seen his face. Anyway I got a bunch of golfballs and had a good time watching him sweat.

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd

Last edited by raggedjim; 06-16-2008 at 11:02 AM.
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:27 PM   #130
odog

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjim View Post
This got me to thinking about my neighborhood. I live out in the country with no quazi-nazi hoa's, but there is still a state law that you can have only one unregistered vehicle and it must be hidden from public view (car cover, garage, behind a fence, etc.)

This is obviously not strictly enforced in some areas. Where the problem comes in is when the farmers sellout to developers and they subdivide and sell to people who don't seem to realize they now live in the country. They aren't accustomed to my rooster crowing at 5:30 (I told him not to, but he's hard-headed...), people running coon-dogs over the weekend, tractors and combines having right-of way, people dove-deer-squirrel hunting, or me taking a leak off my back deck.......
I agree. People who move out to the new subdivisions don't realize they moved to the country. Different rules apply in the country. What it comes down to is one person should not have the ability to dictate what another can store on his land. I wouldn't care if my neighbor had a herd of Lexus' parked on his front lawn, it's his place he should be able to do what he wants, with in legal limits. When I lived in Montana, people in town had roosters, hell the one neigbor to the south of me had goats and a couple of angus' running around the backyard. Didin't hurt anybody and nobody complained, just minded their own business.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:06 PM   #131
caminokid
Chevy nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by odog View Post
I agree. People who move out to the new subdivisions don't realize they moved to the country. Different rules apply in the country. What it comes down to is one person should not have the ability to dictate what another can store on his land. I wouldn't care if my neighbor had a herd of Lexus' parked on his front lawn, it's his place he should be able to do what he wants, with in legal limits. When I lived in Montana, people in town had roosters, hell the one neigbor to the south of me had goats and a couple of angus' running around the backyard. Didin't hurt anybody and nobody complained, just minded their own business.
Thats the way it should be.

"Remember kids there is NO replacement for displacement!"
caminokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 01:03 PM   #132
jayharrell
Gettin By on Gettin By

Its like the old Hank Williams song "if you wind your business, then you'll be buzy all the time''

"Adios to all the concrete; Gonna get me some dirt road back streets"
jayharrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 01:41 PM   #133
isdeleon

that is why i live in an apartment but i can't wait to get a house, hopefully i won't have problems with the neighboors, wish me luck